“Gluten Free High Tea in Stratford Upon Avon”
Review of Bensons

Bensons
Price range: US$3 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Bensons is an independent, locally owned eatery that has been trading in the town for 25 years. It serves a £5 breakfast (including bottomless tea or coffee), home made lunches, afternoon tea and cakes. Locally made patisseries are served all day with loose leaf teas and freshly ground coffees. Bensons also offers a dedicated Gluten Free and Vegetarian Menu. The Independent newspaper rated Bensons as one of the Top 50 places in the UK to take Afternoon Tea,
Reviewed 9 September 2014

Bensons has an amazing gluten free High Tea. I am always grateful when places have GF menus and options, but often times it's very minimal, or they just leave off the bread. At Bensons, GF patrons have a better option than the non GF option!

Mine came with what you'd want for High Tea: salmon and cucumber finger sandwiches, and a delicious caffeine free nettles tea. The scone was delicious, and the lemon cake/tart was even better than the non-GF sweet. This was the first time I had a GF rye bread also. Thank you Bensons for having such a wonderful option for your GF patrons. BTW, my partner had the regular option, and he was blown away by how good it was also.

We all left happy and fully satisfied. It's just a walk away from Shakespeare's birthplace which is a must see also.

Date of visit: September 2014

Reviewed 7 September 2014

Had gluten free afternoon tea with my wife and it was excellent! Despite what the menu says you can choose whatever you like in the sandwiches and they were lovely with nice fresh gluten free bread (not stale like some other places I have been).

The cake and scones were lovely as well and there was so much we could not eat it all but they happily wrapped the rest in foil for us to take.

We went a second time and enjoyed it as much then as well. They mentioned they would be trying a supplier for gluten free tarts - sounds good for the future.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was the third visit by my wife and myself to "Benson's" having been very pleased with the food and service on our previous visits. We went at Lunchtime on Monday 18th August and gave our order after being seated for around 5 minutes. This consisted of "Tea for two" that was brought quite quickly but was finished before we ate. We asked for a "top-up" and the waitress filled the teapot with hot water,making the remaining tea tasteless.
A " Posh Fish Finger sandwich" and a "Ham Salad" took 45 minutes to arrive.
The Fish Gougons (3) were overcooked and swimming in fat or oil. The batter was hard and the "French fries" were more like "French boiled," being white and limp instead of crispy. Obviously done in a hurry to try and get the other orders done. The small amount of "greenery" on my plate consisted of 3 "Rocket" leaves.
My wifes "Ham Salad" had been reduced in size compared with our two previous visits.
Stratford is notorious for their zealous "Carpark Wardens" and having to wait all this time wondering if your meal would arrive before the EXCESS PARKING NOTICE" does not help you to enjoy your lunch.
Maybe the usual Chef was on holiday.
At a cost of £21.45 for this meal we won't be going back any time soon.
I will now have to remember all the folks that I had recommended this establishment to, and tell them I have revised my opinion.

Date of visit: August 2014
3  Thank cajbag
Heresjohnnym, Owner at Bensons, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our restaurant.
I can only apologise for what sounds like an unacceptable experience.
it is even more upsetting as you say in your review you have had previous good experiences at Bensons. I have spoken to the staff who were working on that day and they advise they had no problems or complaints and advise whilst busy there were no wait times, which again concerns me,
Our posh fish finger sandwich has become our most popular dish since adding to the menu last year and up to your review we have had nothing but compliments, to the point of the same customers returning on a weekly basis and ordering the same.
On checking our till systems to see check in and out times i see your order put through at 12.49 and you table cashed off at 1.29. I would be grateful if you could let me know what response you were given when questioning this with your server.
Tripadvisor is s great tool for both customers and owners alike but it does become somewhat redundant if you do not advise at the time as it does not give us a fair chance to rectify these situations, but does allow customers to paint a picture that is not altogether fair or correct. I understand that you say you will not be recommending us or revisiting us which I find very disappointing, but should you decide to allow to give us another go and put this down to an off day please contact me direct and ill be happy to arrange a table got you. Kind regards John Mackinnon

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

In order to get my daughter out of bed on a Friday morning I suggested breakfast at benson's. we sat near the door as a previous visit sitting further indoors became quite warm. The breakfast was beautiful both the full English and vegetarian breakfast. The gentlemen who served us was attentive and calm although I felt if it had been busier he may have struggled as he seemed to be the only person front of house. Table was slightly too small to accommodate the lovely tea and toast which accompanied the breakfast itself. Great time to visit approximately 9:30. This is our third visit here and thinking of enjoying an afternoon tea here next. Toilet although in a small area was clean and offered lovely hand soap which was a lovely touch. It is quite a small and tucked away cafe but worth a visit if looking for a well cooked value for money breakfast. 2 delightful breakfasts with both tea and coffee and boiling water for refill if required along with toast and any other condiments cost only 10 pounds. A lovely little place. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Eleanor S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went in with friends for lunch, after a wait had to ask for the menu, told a 20 min wait for food so asked for tea while waiting but did not get it, the tea arrived with the meal, first the teapot but no cups then waited for milk, one pot of tea did not arrive and had to ask for it. the food was good except for the salad with the sandwich which was more a garnish. The place was very busy and the two girls were doing everything serving. manning tills could do with more staff, one girl said she did not know what she was doing,

Date of visit: August 2014