“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

The New Inn
Birmingham
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

We had a beautiful carvery here, you get exactly what you pay for, the interior is very plain but inviting, The food was great and the staff were well trained aswell, Nice clean, and warm, well done all ,

Room Tip: Great place for a Sunday Carvery
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Livi196

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

A lot for a good price. Although you have to take the bus to city centre, there is a pub and a restaurant in the hotel which is pretty convenient.
It was clean, people were nice and we had a very good service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZeSeb
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

juist returned from a two night stay at the new inn room was okay but was room for disabled not executive room my husband thought he booked meal in restaurant was ok breakfast was not the normal standard cooked breakfast was greasy so my husband said i myself had only cereal and toast as that was the only choice no presentation skills on breakfast just cereal containers all three of them on table with a few jams and your dishes to put them in should have more choicefor their breakfasts would not reccomend this as value for money

on website it states 4 star but on door of the new inn it says 2 star

Room Tip: had disabled room on ground floor but should have had executive room an error along the line somew...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra p
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I had a weekend break at this hotel to get away from it all, but it wasn't all what it seemed. We had to pay all the money up front on assumption that we got the 'Excecutive room we had booked but had gave us a disabled room in which the bathroom light was faulty and kept going off. This as you can imagine can cause allsorts of mayhem, especially when one has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
The staff were informed of this and we was assured that someone was going to look at this problem and she even remarked 'Yes, someone else said that about the bathroom light as well' and thought the problem would be resolved. But no, this was also reported to different staff the next day and didnt even get fixed then either.
When reported to the owner, his comment being ' well you managed didnt you' and wasn't in the slightest bit interested all he was interestde was in your money for the room.
Breakfast was also a sham as very little choice of cereals, no fruit, no yogurt, greasy breakfasts.
The only good point was the staff were corteous, but made several mistakes with our meals and drinks there.
As a family run hotel, it doesnt come upto the better standards offered by a 2* B and B and would not reccommend this hotel to anyone unless you hads a grudge against them.
All in all very dissappointing and we will not be going back there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LazP40
dmcmightyred
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a nights stay in this place for a single night to break up the journey from further down south. I wish we hadn't. We'd just come from a beautiful country inn in DInton and wanted to stay in Stratford to spend some time around the river and explore the place. We were seduced by a cheap offer of a room with breakfast for £42 (non-refundable through a website offer). Upon arrival they hadn't taken payment and couldn't wait to do so. I can now see why as if I'd seen the rooms prior to flashing them my card I would have carted my pregnant wife out of there over my shoulder!

The room they took us to was about 10ft x 12ft with awful decor and a 14" TV on the wall. It smelt of damp and/or cigarrettes and made me instantly depressed. To be fair the young lady who showed us the room was very pleasant and happy to get anything else we wanted (looking back I wished I had asked for a tranquiliser gun!).

I quietly returned to the front desk and politely told the man who swiped my card with such delight that we wouldn't be staying. He advised me there was no chance of a refund due to the deal I had bought and instead put us in an 'executive room'. I'm no executive, and I know this country is going through a series of austerity measures but I don't know of any executive that would want to stay in this room. It was the same as the last only slightly bigger, with more garish decor and more doilies!

Breakfast was served in a pleasant conservatory and was freshly cooked as opposed to a buffett, this is my preference. Except the fact that this comes covered in grease and was also unpleasant. The cereal and juice offerings come in plastic containers (presumably to save on cost) and this reminded me of my days in the scouts. Also, and quite bizarrely, there is a 9ft sq. picture of Princess Diana hung above the door to the dining room. I'm sure she would not approve of the place.

I'm not going to go on any further as the cost of this place probably means you can't expect much (although our country hotel in Dinton worked out at the same price per night!?). If you like naff decor, tired rooms, mouldy milk with the tea and coffee facilities, poor levels of cleanliness etc etc then stay here. If you want a clean place nearer the city centre to get your head down whilst you explore the amazing place then avoid. There are a plethora of much nicer, cleaner and better located B&B's and guest houses within walking distance of the river.

We won't go back.

Room Tip: Any other room in any other hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank dmcmightyred
Horsham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

A tiny double room ( hard to walk around the bed) , so called free wifi - only really working in a small part of the bar, a tiny and tired bathroom with no soap or toiletries, restuarant open only until 9'00pm with a very odd choice on the menu - not able to charge anything to the room.

Stayed August 2012
6 Thank GriffoHorsham
Pembroke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

we have today returned from a very pleasant and comfortable 4 night stay at the new inn, our room was clean and spacious bathroom with walk in shower . the food is very good and plenty of it we ate in three of our four nights and selected different meals each evening all were great. all the staff are most friendly and there was nothing they would not do for you.hope to go back again before end of year.

Room Tip: choose rooms 16-21
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple