“excellent hotel and value for money”

Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Waterways Hotel
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

a five night stay including bank holiday monday. yes it was busy but staff coped very well being courteous and helpful. room is clean and functional which suits us fine. canalside location 10 minute walk into town cente. ample car parking at £1 a night. special thanks to Ashley who looked after us at breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank wootton56
Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Rooms are fine, quite new. Location is a good 30 min stroll from the centre but it was a nice saunter down the canal towpath in the sunshine to get there. Breakfast was good, hot and not noisy but then we went early , about 8am, as we left it was busier so I would say don't sleep in. Hotel staff very friendly, I am not sure I stayed at the same place as the earlier reviewer. I can't fault them and it was my first premier inn stay.

It is a pound to park your car at night.

My only fault is that I booked via Quidco, which Premier Inn have decides not to honour which I think is very short sighted of them and I have knocked down my marking because of this as it has left a bitter taste. I just think it petty as I only booked due to the deal they offered on there so I will think twice before coming back.

Room Tip: The premier inn in Stratford central is better located, especially if you are a women on your own or...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked a disabled room for two nights in August 2012 for my wife and I. On arrival I had to park in the drop off layby, the hotel staff said I could leave it there for the whole of our 2 night stay. It was a good thing I could leave it there, if I had moved it, within 1/2 a minute another car would have been in it's place. It would have been impossable for me to have walked the distance from the main car park to the hotel. Our son who lives in Stratford (as we did for 40 years) drove us around so we didn't have to move our car.
We were alocated a disabled room with a wet room, overlooking the canal. I suffer from panic
attacks as well as other medical conditions. The first thing I tried to do on entering our bedroom was to open the window. To my surprise the windows had no handles to them, only a restaining strap which would could only be opened with a key held by the management.
I comlained at reception and asked to see the manager, who wouldn't come out to talk to me
but told the staff member to tell me 'That is what the air-con is for' I pointed out air-con only ajusts the temprature and does not give fresh air into your face if you have a panic attack in a small spaced room. The staff were quite happy to talk about the pros & cons at any time, but were told 'Do not open the windows'. After two very worrying and uncomfortable nights, on the
Monday our day of departure I went to reception to claim on there promise of money back if you don't have a good nights sleep. The staff were already with the details and refunded my
total amount without any fuss at all.
Since retuning home I E-mailed Warwickshire Fire Service asking about the legal Health & Safety aspect. I was told as long as the corridoors & lifts are kept clear that is all that's required. No mention about if you can't get to your room door and the room fills with smoke what then???
As this was a brand new hotel we thought we'd give it a try, what a mistake.
It's back to the trusted Travelodge 500 yards up the road for us again from now on. We've
used it since it opened 4 or 5 years ago and never had a single problem with it.

2  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed here as a family of 4 (9yr old, 13yr old) in a family room for one night. Chose due to other reviews, good location a few minutes walk from Shakespeare's birthplace, and easy car parking for £1 a night. Location is indeed excellent, next to canal on commercial side of Stratford, with a lot of car parking (but not quite enough if hotel full and you arrive late). Staff were friendly and helpful and let us check in 15 minutes early. Room clean and tidy. Whole hotel very new and clean throughout. However, you cannot open the windows (did warn this on the site) and even using the air-con flat out didn't clear the stuffiness in our room, overlooking the canal. At night we could only use the air-con on it's lowest setting or the hissing sounds from it, like someone flushing a nearby toilet, were too disturbing. We could also clearly hear the people upstairs walking up and down their room, even to where they were standing, up until 00.30 as it happened, very surprising in a new purpose built hotel. Having spent 4 nights before this in York with none of these issues in the Premier Inn there very disappointing. In the restaurant which we chose as it had some extra stuff i.e. Pizza, not on the menu in York. The fizzy drinks (coke etc) weren't endless for a set price like York, my wife ordered the fajitas, to be later told they had run out, then returned again to tell us no Pizzas as ordered by my son either. Staff very apologetic and did give us a free round of drinks but we would have eaten elsewhere had we known in advance. Drinks were delayed as the bar staff had gone for a break as well. At the end of the night the card machines weren't working either, although they could still use the card direct at the till. All in all, although we enjoyed our brief visit to Stratford, we would not have stayed here more than one night and would stay elsewhere if we went back.

Room Tip: If you like fresh air avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TravellersLondon_UK
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Have stayed in quite a few hotels in this chain. This one is ideal for visiting Stratford. It is a new hotel so everywhere is fresh and clean. The staff are new as well but have to say they were very nice, helpful. Especially the lady on reception who was very organised and confident. The service in the bar at breakfast etc is slow, but this is because the staff are still finding their feet. While waiting to be seated for breakfast it was nice to be asked if they could get us a drink while waiting. Good customer service.
We had dinner in the hotel on one night as the weather was horrible outside. Have to say guys the food was fine, however having the air conditioning on so cold spoilt it for us. Yes we asked for it to be turned down and several of the other quests asked as well. You said it had been done, but by the end of the evening I had to buy a hot chocolate to warm me up! Yes a cooler atmosphere is great for staff moving around but to be fair not so good for us sitting!
I would visit again. But eat out.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights for a wedding and family visit. The hotel staff were very welcoming and seemed geniunely interested in us and our trip.

Check-in was very efficient and they now have computer screens on which you can complete the check-in process (or they'll guide you through it).

The room was spotless and very comfortable, as befits a hotel that's only been open a few months. Lenny Henry would be very much at home... I was particularly taken with the presence of a proper Freeview TV - why hotels have insisted for years on piped TV with the bare number of channels even through a digital TV is beyond me!

Our only concern was with the car park - it's very busy and long, and whilst there's ample parking, we found ourselves parking a couple of hundred yards away from the hotel building. Not being sure of the CCTV coverage at that end, and with graffiti on some of the surrounding buildings, my advice would be to get there early...

Overall, the hotel exceeded our expectations and we'll definitely stay here again during future visits to Stratford.

2  Thank PhilD1971
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Good location. Extremely busy and hence poor service in restaurant, cold breakfast. Very noisy at night and early morning. However did get a full refund, don't be afraid to ask if not happy as staff only to pleased to give refund to get you out of the way.

1  Thank cull1