“Shocking upon arrival!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford-upon-Avon
The Fox and Goose Inn
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I booked this deal with Groupon hoping for a relaxing treat with my friend. This was anything but!
We arrived on a Friday evening at 5pm, we were greeted by the manager serving behind the bar, although greeted is a generous use of words. There were no introductions, and not even so much as a smile! Our afternoon tea was a slice of cake and cup of tea, despite afternoon tea traditionally including at least a sandwich or two.

The atmosphere was frosty immediately and it felt as though we were in the way, the only encouraging part of the experience was the decor in the bar/restaurant, it is impressive.
We decided that we would take a trip into Stratford town as the details on the Groupon voucher promoted the local amenities, my friend enquired about booking a taxi, and when she informed the owner that we wouldn't be eating in his (over-priced) restaurant, he suddenly became very reluctant to help, and told my friend that the bar closes 'when I go to bed'.

I asked the one member of staff working behind the bar if there was a curfew and was told that there was not, so I handed in my room key as we were encouraged to do so by the manager.

When returning to the hotel at midnight, we discovered that the whole place was in darkness and the doors that we tried were all locked, we even walked up the fire escape in the hope that maybe he had left the door open for us.
I had ONE missed call from the hotel, but no voicemail, and as I was sat in a quiet pub for the evening and heard my message tone, I find it difficult to believe that the manager rang for any length of time, I think it was more to cover himself by saying he had at least tried to make contact.
After almost an hour of waiting, hoping and deciding what should be our next step, we had to drive for an hour back to my house and spend the night there. Luckily my friend had driven into Stratford so we at least had the option to drive back home, I dread to think what we would have done if we chose to take a taxi from the hotel into town!

The next morning the manager was aggressive immediately and offered no apology, informing us that the key was at the back door (he did not mention a back door until now) and that we were 'late' back (we were given no time to return, despite asking TWICE).
He accepted no responsibility for the lack of information, or forcing us to spend the night elsewhere, as he considered it to be my fault that I had not picked up the phone when he called ONCE.

The worrying aspect of this experience is the fact that the hotel has recently had a fire, yet there was no orientation to the building, fire exits or extinguishers were not pointed out. There is no information pack in the room, no informative signs displayed around the building, and certainly no mention of a back door on arrival!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Colinabs, Manager at The Fox and Goose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Two young girls who stayed out all night and tried to blame owner to get money back as they decided that the 7 miles back from stratford was a bit far to drive after spending the night drinking.

On arrival we have three rooms turn up at once so sorry we didnt deal with you first the owner showed you to your room and he as always show the guests keys to rear door for after hours so guests can get back in to the hotel, i also showed you the back door as this was the door you walked out to get into the garden.

You asked about afternoon tea and your or your friend decided to have a large wine instead with fudge cake and the other chocolate fudge cake and tea. No complaints when you were having this on the decking in the sun.

We rang the number we had for you ( which you answerd promtly early in the day when you were on the way to the hotel ) but the number just rang we tried on a few occasions no answer ,

I left the room key on the hook at the rear door so as you could get into your room.

Myself and others guests went up stairs at around 11.45pm and as im a light sleeper i never heard anything at all around the hotel. The carpark is gravelled and i here every car that drives in and also the security lights all come on none of this happened so i think you stayed out all night.

The pair of you then came back next morning and came up with this story of not getting in you also said you rang the hotel as the phone is in my bed room i would have heard it ring.

You even argued with the other guests who were havin breafast when they said they were awake till late and never heard a thing. MY CONCLUSION IS IF YOU WANT TO GO OUT ON THE TOWN ALL NIGHT BOOK A HOTEL IN THE TOWN AND NOT IN A QUIET HAMLET. PS YOU ALSO LEFT WITHOUT SETTLING YOUR BAR BILL .

Reviewed 11 September 2012

My friend booked a stay in this hotel using the Groupon offer and from the moment we arrived we felt like we were an inconvenience. The promised afternoon tea is just a slice of cake - take it or leave it. As we had been made to feel so unwelcome we decided to drive into Stratford for dinner. We came back to the hotel at midnight and found we had been locked out! We had no choice, but to make alternative arrangements and go back in the morning for our belongings. Needless to say we didn't have breakfast the next day.

When asked why we couldn't get into the hotel we were informed we were late, we had asked the bar staff what time we needed to be back before leaving and told there was no curfew. The key was left at the back door (not easy to find and we have no proof of this), but no one had told us this was what would happen. We had been told the pub shuts when the owner wants to go to bed so be warned this is before midnight!!

I wouldn't recommend this hotel or restruarant. The staff seem incapable or terrified of the manager, the manager is rude and unfriendly. Not sure why he is running a pub and hotel. If you have purchased the Groupon offer and not yet stayed I would ask for your money back now and save yourself a trip. The village it is located in is beautiful, but that's all this place has going for it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I love the Fox and Goose - must do because I've been going on and off for 10 years! I've been alone on a number of occasions and with friends (who have also returned) on others. It's a real 'country pub' with farms all around so there will be the odd spider but the one I found was quite friendly!
Good old fashioned pub with very friendly locals on one side and a very nice restaurant and good food on the other. Breakfast choices amazing...
Nothing too much - sandwiches and wine left outside my room for late return from Stratford theatre....I'll definitely be back for my 11th year.

Room Tip: I have been in all the rooms and each has its own very different character but all are comfy. The...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Fox and Goose. We asked about afternoon tea when we arrived, and were told we could have it when we liked. We decided to have it first so we could go out. The tea and cake we were given were good. There was as much as you wanted to eat for breakfast, which was also very good. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our only minor quibble is that the mugs provided for tea and coffee in our room were not washed up while we were out, although the towels had been changed. No problem as we could wash them under the taps in the bathroom, just a detail. The bathroom itself was spotlessly clean, though the rooms could probably do with some refurbishing. The Cluedo theme is an interesting one.

R and B Forrester

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The place itself was lovely, however the management seemed a little unconcerned. I had been contacted regarding the fire and so no hot food was available. I mentioned on the phone whether the afternoon tea was still available, he said so, or that I could have a complementary drink. This didn't happen, nor was afternoon tea offered. The room was not a clean one, although it was nice. The cups were cerainly not clean. The breakfast did not include much, which it could have, even though there was nothing hot, no bread, cheese etc as one might expect in the circumstances. It all seemed as if the management were not really taking things seriously. I wouldn't go again, even with a groupon offer.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at the fox and goose on an overnight stay via a groupon deal promising b&b and afternoon tea.
Upon arrival the pub is located in a pretty village and looks lovely.
We were greeted by who I assume the manager was and a member of bar staff who I think was new as he didn't really have a clue.
We were shown to our room (miss scarlett) which I was quite impressed with. The room appeared clean and spacious with a comfy bed and lovely roll top bath.
To make the room excellent little things could be easily done; the shelf in the bathroom was thick of dust, someone else's hair attached to the shower hose, mini fridge turned on etc but that's probably being picky.
Afternoon tea sort of happened because I asked. The drinks were fine but the cakes on offer looked sweaty and stale so we passed on those.
Comfy nights sleep and breakfast served between 9-11 which was great as not too early. Breakfast seemed unplanned and a bit unprofessional but was very tasty non the less!
Stratford is only 8 miles away so a great base.
I would go back on an offer but would not pay full price!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We returned fron our groupon stay on the 20th July at the fox and goose and wanted to register out disgust. We were contacted 2 days before to be told that there had been a fire and so no hot food was available, which we felt was too short notice to rearrange somewhere else so decided to go anyway. We were not offered the afternoon tea as per the deal even though we were told onn the phone that this wouldn't be a problem. There was no hot water available at any time which is unacceptable and disappointing as there was a lovely roll top bath in the bathroom. The bathroom had wallpaper falling off the ceiling and the general decor was tatty. The teacups were filthy and the bathroom floor was covered in someone elses hair .We were also woken up by a phone call late last night asking us when we would be back even though we were in our room and had been told by the manager that if we came back after hours it would be no problem as he hd given us a key to the outside door. We left at 9.00 am this morning and tried to find a member of staff to speak to but everywhere was locked up and deserted so just left the key in the key hole and left.I also sent a txt to the manager outlining my complaint. I look forward to his comments.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple