The Fox and Goose Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The White Swan Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$166
  • Breakfast included
US$150
US$126
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Best Western Grosvenor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
US$120
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$197
US$153
  • Pool
The Stratford, A QHotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$167
US$152
US$132
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Waterways Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Central Hotel(Stratford-upon-Avon)(Great Value!)
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe(Stratford-upon-Avon)
US$220
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Booked on a Groupon offer Bed & breakfast with afternoon tea, we stayed in Mrs Peacocks room which was dark & compact to say the least. However the bed was very comfortable & also had a nice bath but the room could do with some T L C & this is the only downside of our stay.
The owner was away & staff levels were low however Martin & his wife did a great job & provided excellent service nothing was too much trouble. We arrived around half three in the afternoon where we was show to our room & offered our afternoon tea with a selection of sandwiches & cake & choice of teas. We booked a table for evening meal although unnecessary,meals seemed pricey - but credit to Martin well cooked & of good quality & worth it.
Breakfast was very relaxed not rushed & very plentiful with a choice of juices & cereal we had a Full English (one of the best I have tasted in a while) also toast a choice of preserves & offered both teas & coffee.
Would return again in better quality room, preferably not Mrs Peacock & only at the price we paid not full & would definitely return for a meal if Martin's cooking.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed in the Fox and Goose and think the 2 young ladies just got it wrong.
We were greeted on arrival and shown to our room, Prof. Plum! The door opened and wow the room is a glorious shade of plum with a plum coranet headboard picked out in gold, the bathroom had a huge lions foot bath also plum with matching loo seat. The towels were thick and fluffy and we had a good selection of teas, coffees and biscuits also Wenlock water both still and sparkling.
The breakfast was superb and we had the tasties sausages ever, so good we visited their butcher, Davies of Mickleton, and brought some home. The chef/ manager Martin is passionate about good food sourced locally were possible.
The staff were all chatty and interesting, quite a change from some places we've stayed and a rose was sourced from a pub regular to put on the table as a surprise for my husband Roger, now how good is that!!
The second day we had 2 sausages with our freshly cooked breakfast and waddled up to our room.
The only problem was the fact that I felt the menu was too expensive so we ate out which was a shame.
There are masses of places to visit, Stratford, Evesham, Broadway and little villages with lovely stone walls.
So thank you all, and good luck Martin with all your plans.
Just one thing never eat at the White Bear in Shipston absolutly awful.

Room Tip: Our room was delightful and I'm sure the others are too.
3  Thank Andrea31020
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The Fox and Goose was perfect for exploring the fairly flat area up to Stratford, across to Leamington Spa and down to Hook Norton (not all on the same day). The route up to Stratford follows a national bike route for part of the way and takes in the off-road Greenway (with old carriage cafes). Followed route via Southam to Leamington - with some canal towpath near Leamington. The Benjamin Satchwell pub on the Parade produced good-value jacket potatoes and refreshing pints of real ale (very welcome 40 miles into the ride)! The food at the Fox and Goose was fine. The good value allowed a trip out to Good Pubs (listed in Guide).

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I booked this with my wife on a groupon deal, last Thursday, as a rare night away to ourselves. We were unable to arrive until 8 pm and helpfully shown to our room straight away. The room itself was impressive(Scarlett) and the bathroom was a good size with an enormous bath. We then made our way to the bar area where we then stayed for the next few hours, enjoying the drinks(particulaly the Purity ale) in the company of the manager, barman, and a few others. We found the manager friendly, good company, more than happy to keep serving and having a drink with us until we were ready to go up to bed. After a good nights sleep we enjoyed a good quality breakfast which we could have had at any point until 11am (something some establishments who stop serving breakfast at dawn could learn from!) Despite never having been to Fox and Goose before we were treated like old friends who were regular visitors. We would certainly go back again and recommend people we know to see for themselves.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I booked this deal with Groupon hoping for a relaxing treat with my friend. This was anything but!
We arrived on a Friday evening at 5pm, we were greeted by the manager serving behind the bar, although greeted is a generous use of words. There were no introductions, and not even so much as a smile! Our afternoon tea was a slice of cake and cup of tea, despite afternoon tea traditionally including at least a sandwich or two.

The atmosphere was frosty immediately and it felt as though we were in the way, the only encouraging part of the experience was the decor in the bar/restaurant, it is impressive.
We decided that we would take a trip into Stratford town as the details on the Groupon voucher promoted the local amenities, my friend enquired about booking a taxi, and when she informed the owner that we wouldn't be eating in his (over-priced) restaurant, he suddenly became very reluctant to help, and told my friend that the bar closes 'when I go to bed'.

I asked the one member of staff working behind the bar if there was a curfew and was told that there was not, so I handed in my room key as we were encouraged to do so by the manager.

When returning to the hotel at midnight, we discovered that the whole place was in darkness and the doors that we tried were all locked, we even walked up the fire escape in the hope that maybe he had left the door open for us.
I had ONE missed call from the hotel, but no voicemail, and as I was sat in a quiet pub for the evening and heard my message tone, I find it difficult to believe that the manager rang for any length of time, I think it was more to cover himself by saying he had at least tried to make contact.
After almost an hour of waiting, hoping and deciding what should be our next step, we had to drive for an hour back to my house and spend the night there. Luckily my friend had driven into Stratford so we at least had the option to drive back home, I dread to think what we would have done if we chose to take a taxi from the hotel into town!

The next morning the manager was aggressive immediately and offered no apology, informing us that the key was at the back door (he did not mention a back door until now) and that we were 'late' back (we were given no time to return, despite asking TWICE).
He accepted no responsibility for the lack of information, or forcing us to spend the night elsewhere, as he considered it to be my fault that I had not picked up the phone when he called ONCE.

The worrying aspect of this experience is the fact that the hotel has recently had a fire, yet there was no orientation to the building, fire exits or extinguishers were not pointed out. There is no information pack in the room, no informative signs displayed around the building, and certainly no mention of a back door on arrival!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Colinabs, Manager at The Fox and Goose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Two young girls who stayed out all night and tried to blame owner to get money back as they decided that the 7 miles back from stratford was a bit far to drive after spending the night drinking.

On arrival we have three rooms turn up at once so sorry we didnt deal with you first the owner showed you to your room and he as always show the guests keys to rear door for after hours so guests can get back in to the hotel, i also showed you the back door as this was the door you walked out to get into the garden.

You asked about afternoon tea and your or your friend decided to have a large wine instead with fudge cake and the other chocolate fudge cake and tea. No complaints when you were having this on the decking in the sun.

We rang the number we had for you ( which you answerd promtly early in the day when you were on the way to the hotel ) but the number just rang we tried on a few occasions no answer ,

I left the room key on the hook at the rear door so as you could get into your room.

Myself and others guests went up stairs at around 11.45pm and as im a light sleeper i never heard anything at all around the hotel. The carpark is gravelled and i here every car that drives in and also the security lights all come on none of this happened so i think you stayed out all night.

The pair of you then came back next morning and came up with this story of not getting in you also said you rang the hotel as the phone is in my bed room i would have heard it ring.

You even argued with the other guests who were havin breafast when they said they were awake till late and never heard a thing. MY CONCLUSION IS IF YOU WANT TO GO OUT ON THE TOWN ALL NIGHT BOOK A HOTEL IN THE TOWN AND NOT IN A QUIET HAMLET. PS YOU ALSO LEFT WITHOUT SETTLING YOUR BAR BILL .