“Excellent Stay”

Stratford House
Peterborough UK
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I had an excellent 2 nights stay at this B and B. Conveniently situated for walking into Stratford. Free parking on drive. Lovely friendly staff. Good bedroom with en-suite walk in wet room which was great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your response. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, not least because I, myself, was away at the beginning of September and needed to rely on my staff to provide seamless care in my absence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Having just enjoyed a 4 night stay in & around the Cotswolds I would say that the best room with the best facilities followed by the best breakfast was enjoyed in the guest house "Stratford House".
This was the only night that was not in a hotel & is the first stay taken in a guest house for a very long time.
This stay has changed my view on staying in guest houses.
The Mother & Daughter team have a very good set up & clearly understand what is important for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. We do try and persuade people that guest houses have so much more to offer than the large chain hotels and it is nice to hear from someone who notices the difference. PS. We no longer share the same name as my daughter has just got married.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

nice room, although remote for tv only had one battery, no one around to help so swapped the control with next room (unoccupied) bathroom sink the plug would not come back up to empty the water.Very POOR TO HAVE THE FAMILY ROOM NEXT TO THE BREAKFAST ROOM with tea towels draped over the chairs drying.. Overall just OK.far too expensive have to admit i expected more

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank linda s
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hi. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. It seems you were beset with frustrating issues. I understand how annoying it is when a TV won't work. I loved it in days gone by when you could just approach a TV and press it's on/off switch. So much simpler. But all TVs have now been checked and all remotes now working (famous last words). Our family room/lounge does happen to lead into the conservatory breakfast room, it is true, but to be honest, we can do little about the layout. Obviously, this house is also our home and so the layout has to be multi functional. However, the lounge is never in use during breakfast time so that guests can enjoy their breakfast in peace. Rest assured also that the tea towels drying in our sunny conservatory of an afternoon also never make an appearance during breakfast time, though I can understand how unsightly they may seem. Again, I'm sorry that your stay could not have been more enjoyable.
Walsall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've recently been staying here on and off over the past few weeks whilst working in town, and its great Karen and Tasha are lovely people so friendly! The room had everything needed the en-suites are stunning, beds really comfortable, I've actually decided to pay the extra few pounds to stay here rather than the local travel lodge. Breakfast is set out beautifully the full English is amazing.......and even better....they offer breakfast in bed :D Really impressed!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. We miss you Dean! How is your dog? Fully recovered I hope?
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We have just stay at the Stratford and I'm sorry but its not what you read on trip advisor, friendly staff/ owners but ,entrance /stairway in need of redecoration, breakfast good but laundry drying in breakfast room isn't. And 2% charge to pay on debit card !!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon C
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here. We do intend to touch up the marks on the paintwork in the Autumn. I take on board your comments re: card charges. It is difficult to know how to best absorb the monthly card charges, but we are always revisiting our policy in this regard. Again, it is a pity that we failed in making your stay enjoyable.
birmingham
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed here for one night on business.
Received a very polite courtesy call before arrival to check what time I'd be at the hotel.
Very good convenient location for town centre, and ample off road parking.

Warm and informative welcome - there isn't much of a reception desk so to speak - its more like entering someone's home, but that's not a problem, right?

The room was spotless, modern and comfortable - the bed especially comfortable, and the shower, hot and powerful

I was in town for a work function and as such returned back at approx 1am. My only point for consideration - there wasn't any sort of light on and I wasnt sure if i was able or should put any on. As it was pitch black i had to use the light from my phone screen to navigate back to my room. Perhaps some low level lighting would be useful. On the other I do appreciate 1am is extremely late so it would be unfair to be critical.

The best was yet to come though. I like Eggs benedict. If they're on the menu I'm ordering.
I did the same at Stratford House and WOW!
Simply excellent. I've paid decent money for E.B in pretty good hotels and restuarants, but the ones I had at Stratford house beat all of them hands. Absolutely top class!!

I'd rebook here anyway, but even if the room was a damp leaky hole under the stairs, I'd come back for the breakfast

Room Tip: Friday morning is bin-men morning
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gazfarr
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. They are really appreciated. I have taken on board your comment on low level lighting when returning late. There is now a small light on in the hallway, just to negotiate your way back to your room. I love your comments about our Eggs Benedict. They are proving very popular and are only on the menu because I love them myself. Hope to see you again some time.
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last summer for 2 wonderful nights. They weren't there to greet us but this wasn't a problem there was good communication between the owners and ourselves as to what to do and a nice little bottle of wine in our room as an apology! The room was immaculate very comfortable bed and shower powerful. Breakfast was beautiful and was not as bad as I thought eating with everyone else. Location was excellent the owners were lovely. Would defiantly return

• Stayed July 2012
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It may have taken a while for me to respond, but your comments are very much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in our gorgeous town.