“Breakfast at Rick's”

Hathaway Tea Rooms
Price range: US$3 - US$50
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Stratford, Hathaway Tea Rooms is one of the town's finest tea rooms, with a delectable range of home cooked dishes on its breakfast and lunch menus, and of course, the iconic Cream Tea and Afternoon Tea. Plus, with a small function room available all day and the option to hire the entire building in the evenings, Hathaway Tea Rooms is fast becoming known as one of the quirkiest function rooms in Stratford! We also have a smoke free, dog friendly garden too with seating for over 50.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Four of visited Hathaway Tea Rooms in mid May 2014, initially for tea one afternoon and then for breakfast the following day. The tea was excellent and nicely served. The breakfast was just what one might have made at home. Good quality food, reasonable portions. A coffee top-up would have made it perfect.

Rick is a charming host who is happy to talk and make you feel at home. Thoroughly recommend this restaurant and would be happy to return one day.

RickatHathaways, Owner at Hathaway Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments and it was a pleasure to look after you all. I hope you re-visit Stratford in the not too distant future come in to say hello.

Rick Allen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I met with a friend in Stratford and we found this fabulous tardis of a Tea rooms. the character of the building is wonderful, the staff thoughtful and attentive, and the afternoon tea for two was simply fantastic. With the relaxed atmosphere it really was a wonderful afternoon. I can't wait to meet up with my friend so we can go back.

Thanks for a lovely afternoon....

What lovely comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Called here on a rainy bank holiday. It was warm and welcoming. The staff were friendly and efficient. The scone was fresh and warm, served with clotted cream and jam. The choice of types of tea was amazing. The garden looked lovely, but needed better weather to have used it.

RickatHathaways, Owner at Hathaway Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send in your comments.

I agree about the garden and we are just waiting for it to stop raining so that we can fully open it, especially as we are now open in the evenings until 9pm.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My mum and I were in Stratford for a bank holiday day out.These tearooms were very inviting and looked quite busy...usually a good sign when looking for a place to eat lunch.
Service was quick and not unfriendly.
However our complaint is the actual food we received.We ordered a panini and a prawn sandwich on whole meal bread.The sandwich size of the prawn sandwich was very small,with hardly any prawn filling inside,and the bread was thin and obviously shop bought (Hovis or somthing similar).The size of the side salads were also very small and the crisps were obviously supermarket basics crisps.
Having paid £17 for all of this and 2 soft drinks we didn't feel these tearooms were good value for money at all.I left feeling still a little bit hungry!
We don't mind paying Stratford prices if it guarantees a yummy and decent sized tearoom lunch!There were many other tearooms in Stratford which we would try on our next visit into Stratford,and give these tearooms a miss.

I am so sorry that you were not satisfied with your lunch. I have to say, this is the first time in two years that this type of issue has ever been raised. The Kitchen/Bakery Manager has been informed as he has strict guidelines in the kitchen as to quantities of food on each plate and monitors this on a regular basis.

I agree with you totally about the supermarket basic crisps which is why I have only bought Walkers crisps from my wholesaler for the last two years.

Thank you for sharing your comments - maybe if you done this on the day of your visit we could have addressed the issue there and then and helped to make your time with us more enjoyable. All my team have the brief to address any customer issue if it is raised, as we know as an independent tea room that you have lots of choice in Stratford so it is in our interest to get it right first time if we are made aware that a customer is not happy.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

On my second visit to Hathaway tea rooms in four months, I can honestly say that it is exactly what you would expect from a good tea room.
The staff are polite and extremely helpful. The food is of a good standard and the cakes are to die for,(my particular favourite being the coffee and walnut). I was served by Rick and he was extremely helpful, polite and delivered the meal that I had ordered in good time and well presented.
I would have no hesitation in revisiting Hathaway and will certainly recommend it to anyone.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and I am delighted that we continue to 'deliver'.

We look forward to seeing you in again soon.