“Would have beeen 5, if only for the music ;-)”

Loxley's Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Loxley's Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Loxley’s Restaurant & Wine Bar is an independently owned, family run business based in the heart of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family had the pleasure of dining at Loxleys recently and we enjoyed a fabulous evening of top quality food, excellent service, and the added bonus of a bit of banter with the manager with regard to the questionable muzak played throughout the evening. All in good spirits, as everything else about Loxleys is to be highly recommended. The service is friendly, speedy, and ever so attentive. The delightful lady who looked after us was excellent in every way, and had unending patience with our young son. If they would only change the dreadful "Soul/Jazz/whatever" covers music, this place would be worth moving to Stratford for, but to be honest, the Cure, Inbetween Days, as a lightweight soul cover nearly broke my spirit ;-)

2  Thank Jorge-Valentino
John L, Owner at Loxley's Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Jorge - Valentino.

Thank you for taking the time to let us this great review after visiting Loxley's recently.

Your comments on our music did make me smile !! Our General Manager ( Paul ) does pride himself on how many guests actually ask him to write down the album name / artist or channel on our music system, so I can just Imagine the banter you had with him if you commented that it was not to your taste !

Thankfully our food and your choice of dish was to your taste !! along with our service quality . Thank you for your lovely compliments.

I will accept the 4 stars and take the extra 1 star out of Paul's tips !!

Many thanks for visiting and hopefully we may see you again on future visits to Stratford .

Kind Regards.

John.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,131)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend went to Stratford for a romantic weekend away to celebrate his birthday and decided to have his birthday dinner in Loxleys after we decided this looked to be the best restaurant on this street and my word the food was delicious!! I disagree with some of the reviews below, the food was extremely flavoursome and tasty, infact we are still raving about the taste today!
We had the fish board to start which was delicious however, we were a little disappointed with the crab on the board, it didn't look appetising at all so we just left it which was really disappointing as we love crab but apart from that the rest was lovely.
Mains of fish and chips and steak and chips were lovely!
Desert- well as a chocoholic the chocolate delice was the only chocolate choice, I had never heard of a delice before and I was slightly hesitant on trying it but after a little bit of persuasion from our lovely waiter we had it and oh my word it was DELICIOUS!!! A pleasant surprise :)
The service was attentive and quick and our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful and even gave my boyfriend a birthday drink on the house
Thank you for a lovely dinner!

1  Thank just_j16

Dear Just_j16

Very many thanks for this great review and for choosing to dine with us at Loxley's during your recent visit to stratford Upon Avon.

Thank you for your very generous comments on your chosen dishes.

I completely understand with your comments on the soft shell crab, yours was my reaction the first time I experienced this type of crab which was in a Michelin Star Restaurant on a cruise ship a couple of years ago,However to taste it is to believe it ! it is absolutely fantastic,although to look at it I would describe it as looking like a taranchula spider ! which I am sure are not the most appetising things to look at ! ,this is because the whole crab is deep fried ,and you can eat the whole thing,including its legs, for those who have never seen them before ,they are odd looking things, some guests expect crab meet in the traditional sense,I wish I had been in the restaurant at the time as I would have tried to persuade you to try it,as I am convinced you would have liked it. I would encourage you to try it if you ever come across it again.

I am very pleased that you and your Boyfriend had a lovely Dinner with us ,Thanks also for your comments on our service.We hope you will return to Stratford some time in the future and hopefully will visit Loxley's again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Lovely staff and place, but very disappointed with the food. My husband had the Duck Liver Parfait to start and said it was amazing and the best he'd ever had, but unfortunately we couldn't say the same for the 5 remaining courses. I had the Crispy Free Range Hens Egg which was very bland - no flavour at all. I then had the Loxley’s Panko Chicken Kiev, which again was very bland and my husband had the daily special which was sea bass, which he said was ok, but nothing special. My husband then had the Dark Chocolate Delice which again was nothing special and I had the cheese which was ok, but then you can’t exactly get that wrong.
It seemed like nothing had been seasoned correctly and perhaps the chef hadn’t tasted the food. Very disappointed after spending over £100.

1  Thank Melanie A
John L, Owner at Loxley's Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Melanie A.

Thanks for your feedback although I have to say I am staggered at some of your comments !!

Please accept my comments in the spirit in which they are intended but some of your chosen dishes are in fact our signature dishes which are what has made Loxley's the Restaurant that It has quickly become in the relatively short period since we opened 18 months ago !

Hens Egg !! and My Mothers favourite starter,such a popular dish we literally sell hundreds every week ,Our Chicken Kiev ,I cant tell you how many fantastic Reviews this has had( please check for yourself ) ,in fact a guest recently reviewed It and called it the Garlic Bomb as it has so much flavour ! they are made on site by the same chefs every day,Our Sea Bass Dish ,we simply cant make enough and It runs out daily,also our chocolate delice,I think our joint first favourite dessert along with our cheesecake ! so please excuse my surprise at your comments.

You are very much entitled to your opinion,I am just sorry we are not the Restaurant for you and that you feel as you do.

Thanks for visiting us though .

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

There are lots of eateries on Sheep Street so you have to compete. Loxleys competes. The menu is good. The atmosphere and service are excellent. And there are plenty of vegetarian choices for my wife. Terrific.

Dear Paul N.

Many thanks for your kind review.I am very pleased that your wife was able to enjoy our vegetarian options from our menu ( our Head Chef's Mum is also vegetarian so he has had plenty of practice ! ).

I am pleased that you also enjoyed the atmosphere and service that we offer at Loxley's.

Please call and see us again soon.

John.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The staff were very attentive, helpful and carefully took us through the menu and helped us with our selection. When the food came we were pleasantly surprised with the attractiveness of the presentation and the taste - overall, very good.

John L, Owner at Loxley's Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Roger W.

Many thanks to you for taking the time to let us have your feedback after visiting Loxley's during your recent trip to Stratford Upon Avon,which I hope you enjoyed.

Our staff are always very willing to talk our guests through our menu's, to ensure you get the most out of your visit and to help when we are slightly spoiled for choice .

Thank you for your compliments on your chosen dishes and we hope you will consider dining with us again in the future.