“Unfriendly and Overpriced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe violette

Cafe violette
Cuisines: Cafe, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Belper, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly and Overpriced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

If you want a warm welcome this is NOT the place to visit!
We had arranged to meet friends and family (8 of us in total) at the Barn Antiques and decided to meet for a coffee at the Violette. When we arrived 2 of the group were already in the cafe so we joined them. We ordered coffee but this was met by a challenging 'are you eating or just having coffee?' We replied that coffee would just be fine. We were then asked to move to another table in a little side room because 'we are going to be very busy'. An odd request because we were the only ones in there!! Not wishing to cause a fuss we moved. We had our coffee, which wasn't the best and very overpriced. When we left the cafe there were no tables occupied. When we had looked around the Barn Antiques I again looked into the cafe and saw that there were only 3 tables occupied (so much for 'very busy'!) The cafe is supposed to have a French theme but we have never been treated in such a rude and offhand manner in any cafe in France.

• Visited May 2014
8 Thank Agedpink

Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Look, don't touch!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My sister and I popped in for a drink before visiting the barn next door.. We walked in, there was 1 man sitting drinking, no one else around. An American lady said "hello are you eating or drinking? " we replied just a drink please". She said "well can you sit at a smaller table please". We did, it was 12oclock and laughed maybe she was expecting a coach load! We sat down by the door near a dresser crammed with China which we sat admiring as there were no menus around. A few minutes later the lady gave us a menu apologising saying she thought she had already given us one. We scanned the menu for drinks. Weirdly about 4 pages in. Very mixed up menu. Things just blend together on a page. A young girl came to take our order. We had a coffee, tea and 2 scones with jam and cream. We sat waiting and I picked up a vase off the base of the dresser. I heard an American voice say "can I help you?"" I turned and said " I'm just admiring your display of Violet covered china, am I not allowed to touch?" She had a steeley look as she said "well people meddle with it" I put it back and felt awkward. I said to my sister that people must pick things up to look at as there was so much around. Our drinks came and the scones were on a plate each with a pot of jam on my sisters. We gathered this was to share but it was just left on her plate. We picked up our scones, they were hot! I have never been served hot scones and wasn't asked if I wanted it like this. I prefer cold as the cream which was inside the scones when they arrived was melting and looked like butter. I poured my coffee and there were loads of floating bits. Think the filter in the caffettiere needed replacing.. We drank up and left. In this time 2 other ladies had entered the cafe and the man had left.
I think it is quite expensive to eat here. Sandwiches £8! The lady did not make us welcome and the flowers on our table (which we thought were dried roses) were dead ones sitting in a little vase of brown stagnant water. Shame as this is such a quirky place

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank Elaine R
Studley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gorgeous & Quirky!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

This restaurant is like a tiny bit of pre-war, French, countryside living, captured and tucked away on the outskirts of Stratford. Fantastic food, wonderful service. A quirky, eclectic style which makes the whole experience of dining here, a special pleasure! Can't wait to return.

• Visited April 2014
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Nice but watch the prices!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Quirky, different, nice food and atmosphere but some of the pricing is ridiculous. £5.75 for a cup of coffee and a croissant is way over the top. Just because the menu is in French (sort of) doesn't justify Parisian prices.

Visited March 2014
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Do NOT eat here, unless you want raw food, slow service & a rude cook, who blames you for trying to eat together at lunchtime.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Taking the in-laws to a nice day out we decided rather than drive home we would pop in for a cup of coffee & a bite to eat , as they were up visiting from eastbourne & thought it would be a nice treat.
We was not in a rush so settled down.
It took a while to take the order but soon the coffee & knives @ forks were delivered.
We started to wonder where the food was after 30 minutes.
We had ordered
Leek & potato soup-very lumpy
Parsnip & carrot soup -spicy but nice
Bacon sandwich -nice but over priced
Sausage sandwich. - RAW
At 40 minutes waiting time we asked the waitress and she said it was just being plated up.
When it was served 45 minutes after placing the order. It did smell lovely.
However only 3 had been served, the others were half way through when my sausage sandwich turned up.
Upon cutting the sandwich in half -I discovered to find it RAW!
I took it back to the kitchen.
They came out to ask if I wanted it re-cooked or a fresh one made. I stated that I did not want either as the others were more than half way through.
After 5 minutes the "cook" came out and said she was sorry, however she was not a takeaway fast food service , we had come at a busy lunchtime. She said we had rushed her as we had asked for the meals together . However I do not feel that waiting 45 minutes hardly constitutes rushing and there is NO excuse for raw food. And anybody going here should clearly not expect to eat together!
So do not eat here- AVOID

• Visited February 2014