“We went in there to see the dominant cat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating
England
“We went in there to see the dominant cat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Lovely light meal before a visit to a matinee at the RSC. Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff. My only gripe is that I never saw the cat who is immortalised on the notice on the front door.

• Visited January 2014

Surrey
“Gorgeous food, but frosty staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We enjoyed a delicious lunch in Act V, but were bewildered by the arctic manner of the staff, who didn't crack a smile or say a word when we greeted them, or when we ordered. I asked to use the loo and this seemed a contentious issue; I was told that it was a staff toilet but that I could use it if I needed to (I did need to, I'm pregnant!) so I rather wished we'd chosen a venue with more conventionally available facilities. The food and drinks were absolutely lovely, but though every table was full, everyone was silent, and with only very quiet music playing we felt a bit awkward talking. A bit of a strange experience all in all.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Fresh food and good prices. Very good with toddlers but highchairs would b good so they can't run around. Broccoli and stilton soup excellent.

Visited January 2014
Honiara, Solomon Islands
“Shocked Dog”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

As a Clean And Well Behaved Dog, I must protest. A couple of weeks ago I was brought by my human to this, my favourite watering hole, and what did I find? It was closed! The wonderful ladies who run Act V were taking a short break regardless of my presence in Stratford. What can a dog do under such circumstances? Mope around a bit. Look mournful. And look forward to my next trip to Stratford in the new year in the hope that Act V will be open and that me and The Human can relax together in this lovely, comfortable, cosy and bright little cafe/tea rooms.
As for The Human, he obviously loves going there too - there's nothing he likes more than sitting there in the morning with me lounging at his feet and him loafing around enjoying a couple of slices of Act V's excellent toast with marmalade and then going back later for some of the delicious soup that's served there or the leek and potato pie. Or, a little earlier in the year, sitting in the garden with me, enjoying some of Act V's lovely cake and a nice cup of Earl Grey. Everyone's very friendly and take great pride in the cafe. Yes, I'd say it meets my needs as well as his.
And if you don't have a dog with you, we'll I've seen quite a lot of unaccompanied humans looking very happy in there and all of them unable to resist a graze around all the interesting things that are for sale.
So, as far as my Human's concerned this place meets all our combined needs and gives him great pleasure to visit and eat and drink in this friendly, comfortable place which is why he feels he has to give Act V five Tripadvisor spots. As for me, I like being allowed into places with him and wish a few more places had the same policy (let's face it - dogs are much better behaved and carry less disease than human "little people") but as long as Act V is there I know I'm alright when I visit Stratford. But please, don't give me another shock - don't take your holidays when I'm in town.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank white_knight_and_dog
warwick
“Best in town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Have enjoyed several visits to this hidden gem (well maybe not hidden but still a gem!) - during the summer sitting outside in the courtyard garden was wonderful. The choice of tea and coffee is fabulous - as for the apple cake - DIVINE. Warm welcome and spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing cards and gifts.

• Visited November 2013