“Poor service”

Act V
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Visited Act V today for the first time with my daughter, we popped in for a quick lunch, but the service was not so quick, table service but no one came to take our order so my daughter went to place the order at the counter, we waited 15 mins but not even the coffee appeared, unfortunately we ran out of time and had to leave. We are local and there are many other excellent places to have lunch in town so will not be returning to Act V.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The dog and I have enjoyed our visits to Act V over the past 12 months since we have become regular visitors to Stratford. When we recently visited the pleasant cafe we obviously realised there was a change in the serving staff and the lady at the counter but at that time did not realise that there had been a change in ownership which another Tripadvisor has recently reported. We found the cafe to be as pleasant as ever and in the wonderful warm weather it was a pleasure to sit outside. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful and a pleasure to receive service from. We went for lunch one day and I noticed that the slice of Homity pie (as delicious as ever) was rather thinner with less accompanying salad than on previous visits and when we went for the excellent toast served there for breakfast the next day, the amount of butter served had been halved from 4 little packs to two. I guess I could have probably asked for more butter (the toast does need a reasonable amount to cover it all to make it really enjoyable) but I thought that this might be a temporary change so I thought I would see how things were next time I visited. I love going to Act V as I can take my clean and well behaved canine friend with me for some delicious food but I do hope that if a change of ownership has occurred that little cut backs at the edges are not occurring. I understand that making a profit from cafes and restaurants is a problem at the best of times but the rather thin slice of homity pie did seem a little overpriced even if it was delicious. Nowadays, I don't have such a big appetite but I could have definitely managed a slice as big as I was used to in the past. Perhaps this was a one off. In the meantime, if the ownership has changed, good luck to the lovely ladies who have moved on and good luck to Act V's new owners.

1  Thank white_knight_and_dog
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My fiancee and I went into this cafe on Sheep Street because of their beautiful window display of gifts. Lovely combination of cafe and gifts, with a selection of cards second to none! We each had scones with jam and clotted cream and some Luscombe drinks (which we love!) in their beautifully kept garden. We love the fact that dogs are allowed in too, so we shall be back with our little scamp for a yummy lunch again!

3  Thank naynay1991
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Interesting menu with plenty of vegetarian choice. I had a Quiche Provincale and my wife a Homity pie both came with salad and coleslaw and both were delicious. Good tea and coffee as well. Excellent service. Nice garden to sit in but we stayed inside out of the heat. We will certainly be recommending Act V for a light lunch.

3  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 17 July 2014

There are so many indifferent tea-rooms in Stratford but this is a gem. Lovely cakes and drinks, friendly staff, a super garden at the back where you can sit in fine weather, and a great selection of tasteful [not tacky] cards and gifts. We've been several times and the change of management doesn't seem to have impacted. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Robert C