“The place needs some TLC spent on it!”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the outside of the pub you think you're going in to an oldy-worldy, quaint British pub as it is adorned with lovely hanging baskets and has the traditional black oak beams and white facade...a lovely looking pub........until you go inside!

Dark, dingy and the beer crusted carpet did not appeal to us, however we ordered some drinks (which came with very polite and efficient service) and sat outside in the courtyard.

The courtyard is lovely and was bathed in sunshine, the seats were comfortable although thankfully more of the lovely hanging baskets hid the cracking masonry and chipping white paint on the pub exterior.

We were going to order food, however the table next to us had their delivered and it looked less than desirable (standard pub grub, chunky chips and burger fayre)....it put us off ordering looking at the quality and presentation of the food, but as I didn't taste it, I can't comment about the taste quality.

To summerise? if some money was spent on the interior decorations and the presentation of the food, I could see this pub being very popular with the tourists - as it is, I think they're loosing trade from their image.

1  Thank RichardF38

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Called in here with colleagues on a Friday lunchtime whilst on a business trip.

The first thing that struck me was just how lacking in customers the place was; OK, so it's a village but it was Friday lunchtime - and 2 minutes walk away is a massive office with hundreds of employees, so why weren't more of them in?

The answer could be down to the landlord, who really could do with brushing up on his attitude to customers.

Having made our choice of food & drink our group went to the bar to order - even though we were ordering (& paying) individually we asked if it would be possible for all the orders to be delivered to our table at the same time. This proved to be a non-starter & we were told by mein host, in no uncertain terms, that everybody's food would come out when it came out - and that went for all the customers in the pub!

I placed my order. Whilst my drink was being half-poured I made payment & waited for my unattended glass to be filled. Having waited for about 30 seconds or so the landlord then looked up & enquired what I wanted to order - well, actually what he said was "Yes?". Incredibly he had failed to recognise that I was the person he had just served.

I pointed out that I was waiting for my drink, to which the response was "so you are", at which pouint he did at least finish the job of pouring it out.

I returned to our table to await the feast - well, by feast I mean bacon, brie & cranberry panini.

Eventually the orders began to coe out of the kitchen, with our landlord now acting as head waiter. True to his word the meals arrived in completely random order - one for our table, two for another & so on.At one point though it looked like things would get de-railed as our landlord searched in vain for the person who had ordered a fishfinger sandwich on brown - yes really, this is the level of cuisine at this establishment.

As it happens, one of our party had ordered that particular sandwich but on white bread. Undeterred our host insisted loudly that somebody had ordered 'on brown' & went in search of this person. Now, given the size of the pub you wouldn't need a pack of bloodhounds to track someone down but for a full 5 minutes this search continued before he gave up.

When my own food came out three of our group had already finished their meals. Still, it proved to be rather tasty - the bacon was a bit fatty for my taste but otherwise it was pretty good. It was served with a small basket of chips or should I say, french fries. I don't particularly care for french fries; they're too thin & thus prone to being over-cooked & the fat content is much higher than you get in a similar sized portion of your good old honest chip due to the greatly increased surface area. Nevertheless, they were reasonably cooked with only the odd one or two which had been completely overdone.

Apart from that there isn't a great deal to add - we finished our drinks & left.

All in all it was quite nice to get out at lunchtime but it would have been better iof we could have found somewhere where the host seemed to consider his customers as pests rather than patrons, so I won't be going back the next time I'm in the area.

1  Thank paula296
Reviewed 26 April 2014

After travelling for 5 hours to get to our accommodation at Tiddington, we just wanted to relax and have some food so opted for The Crown as we had never been there before. It was rather busy as there was a football match on the television so we sat in the rear dining area for peace and quiet. After being told we could sit back there by the bar staff, the waiter made a small fuss about his tables being reserved but not to worry he would 'sort it out'. I couldn't see the problem as it was 3/4 empty and wasn't even half full by the time we left. This annoyed my other half straight away. We ordered our food however when it arrived the garlic bread was cold. We mentioned this to the waiter who told the chef but then he had to come back to get the garlic bread as proof because the chef didn't believe us! Another annoyance for husband. New garlic bread arrived which was much better. When we asked for the bill we were given the wrong one which again, annoyed husband. We didn't visit again during our stay but that is not to say we wouldn't visit again, perhaps on a quieter evening with a table in the front of the pub.

1  Thank dizzy-wife
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great pub ,great food and very friendly landlord and staff nothing too much trouble ,don't eat too much before visiting very generous meals

1  Thank Tracey D
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We considered this our 'local' when we were staying in Tiddington recently. It is a very friendly pub just a short walk from our hotel, and we popped in a couple of times for drinks. The only downside was the smell of paint, but if they are in the process of re-decorating, that can only be a good thing.