“great!”
Review of One Elm

One Elm
Reserve with OpenTable
One Elm is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$14 - US$40
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Two minutes walk from Shakespeare's Birthplace, The One Elm is a Victorian pub with a bustling bar, a pretty sheltered courtyard & a relaxed but high quality restaurant.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Only been once but the food was brilliant! All the staff were really friendly and the place just had a great atmosphere. Will be visiting again soon.

1  Thank Gemma G
Julie C, General Manager at One Elm, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Gemma, thanks for the review, we look forward to seeing you at the Elm soon

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I came here for dinner with a friend last Friday, and had a lovely meal with good service, so encouraged by a promotional offer from the One Elm I returned this evening with my husband. Unfortunately, whilst the service was still exemplary, the food was definitely sub standard. The Moroccan meat balls were dry, the plaice dish over salted (maybe in an effort to encourage the bland lobster bisque) and the salad squashed on the plate like a matted hair ball.

As it was a warm evening we chose to sit outside in the pleasant courtyard. It was only later that we realized that this was full of smokers, with no area reserved for non-smokers.

To cap it all when the bill came the promotional discount had not been taken into account. All of these complaints were mentioned during the evening, but nothing was done to redress the situation, so although we left a tip for the waiter, we left feeling disgruntled.

Julie C, General Manager at One Elm, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hi Jackie, Thank you for taking the time to review us. It’s a great help for us to see and hear what our guests experience, so we can make sure we improve and ensure everyone has a great time, and in turn come back. We are sorry that on this visit we did not come up to scratch with your lunch. It is truly important that we do this and I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion. We have as a team looked at this feedback and are making changes. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you back here one day soon so we can make amends.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We popped in late on two successive nights. The pub was virtually empty on both occasions.
It does food, but we just had drinks.
On the second night, two pints of bitter and a glass of red wine came to over£13!! That makes this the most expensive pub I've ever been in.
It is on the outskirts of the town centre and I am not aware that Stratford should be charging more than most pubs in London, so it would be wise to look elsewhere.
Also, the barmaid could not tell me what time the pub closed at! Draw your own conclusions!!
Michael, Nottingham.

Julie C, General Manager at One Elm, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Hi Mick
Thanks for your recent visit to us at the elm. I’m sorry your last visit to us was a negative one. We certainly aim to ensure all have a great time when visiting us. We source some of the best products for both our food and drink. Sourcing a better range of products can sometimes be reflected in the price. I’m sorry you felt that your drinks were not value for money and for highlighting a training issue with some of our newer team.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

One Elm had been recommended to us as one of the best Sunday Roasts in town and we were not disappointed.

The pub has more of a modern feel inside than out. Noise levels were reasonable and service was very attentive. I had the roast lamb which was as good as it gets. The veggies were good. The roasted potatoes were addictive and I got seconds. No need for desert after a big meal.

1  Thank Jim S

Hi Jim,

so pleased you took someone up on their recommendations, glad you enjoy your roasts, they are great aren't they! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have to start this review by stating that this is the nearest pub to our home, and therefore should be our "local" - it isn't!
We had not visited the One Elm for a couple of years after a very average meal really disappointed. The prices charged by this gastropub are high for both food and drink; and in my opinion the quality offered does not match the cost.
Having been on the pub e-mail circulation, I was interested to see that they were holding an event for National Wine Day, which offered the potential for a good value meal with wine included.
My partner and I were surprised to find that the guests taking part had all been seated on one u-shaped table at the far end of the upper floor next to a pile of tables. The main restaurant downstairs was completely empty! A quiet evening together became a series of polite conversations with the other rather bemused guests!
I want to be objective in this report of the evening, and I am bound to say that the selection of wines was very good - a special printed set of wine notes had been produced for the evening. It was disappointing that the Chablis 1er Cru had been "mistakenly" included in this list and was not served.
The food was poor, served by relatively unhappy staff presumably as they had to walk the entire length of the restaurant and up the stairs! I have never seen a small piece of asparagus cut into three lengthways as a part of a dish. I could go on...........
I was amazed at 21.30 when the staff member who had been running the event came upstairs and said "well that's the end of the evening".........maybe an offer of more wine, coffee.....or am I really being too picky here?
We decided to leave and paid the bill downstairs - I did leave a tip for the staff as quite frankly I felt sorry for them.
I do wish that I could be confident of receiving good food and wine at a reasonable price at the One Elm - it seems I will have to wait another couple of years to find out if anything changes.

Hi Leigh
sorry you were disappointed with the event. It was a 5 course taster menu so the idea was to have more smaller courses to try more wines. Apologies you thought it was average, we have had a lot of positive feedback about our summer menu so I do hope you'll give us another try, I'll get you the wine for the dinner if you do decide to come back. Kind regards