“The "Hot as Hell" curry lives up to it's name.”
Review of The Unicorn

The Unicorn
Ranked #67 of 144 Restaurants in Warwick
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Unicorn is a modern local pub which can be found at the heart of the community on Chase Meadow, not far from Warwick Racecourse and Warwick Castle, a great place for all the family with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. When the sun is shining enjoy a pint or a meal on our patio overlooking the Chase Meadow lake and playing field. We have a choice of 3 cask ales with a different guest ale each week. Food is served Monday to Saturday until 10pm and Sundays until 9pm. Serving a wide selection of Snacks, Specials and Main Meals there is something for everyone. Please email or telephone if you wish to book a table or group up to 50 guests. Pre-order service available - ideal for business lunches,
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I live near to the Unicorn and have previously enjoyed the Cut-throat Curry which was spicy.

When attending last evening and noticing the Hot as Hell curry on the menu I had to give it a try.

It did not disappoint - I love spicy food and it certainly hit the spot.

Can't wait for my next one and would recommend to anyone!! (but take heed of the "HOT" warning you get when ordering the dish)

2  Thank Ada L
TonyO1702, General Manager at The Unicorn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Thanks for leaving your feedback!

You are a braver man than I to tackle the Hot as Hell Curry!

We are glad you enjoyed it!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

When this pub first opened, it had a pleasant atmosphere, nice surroundings and the food was excellent value for money.
Having just returned from the pub, I have to say I won't be eating in there ever again! The service was good, staff friendly enough albeit nit very customer focused but the food was awful!! Over cooked and tasteless. Side orders arrived as we finished our meal and it was very poor value for money. Nits also looking very tardy inside, such a shame as it used to be really good.

4  Thank tsmi210

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on The Unicorn.

I was pleased to see that the service you received was good. I have fed back your comments to the Front of house team.

I was somewhat disappointed to read that your food however was not up to our usual standards. i have investigated the matter and used the feedback given to assist in a training session.

We pride ourselves on offering good value for money and I'm sorry you felt this was not the case on this visit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Well firstly the food was very poor and parts off the order didn't arrive and had to remind them so. ..also the place seems to lack any sort of atmosphere and not at all very well coming will not be going back in a hurry

TonyO1702, General Manager at The Unicorn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us.

We pride ourselves on the standard of our service and welcoming atmosphere. I have fed your response back to the team working at the time in order to establish what we can do to improve in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Unicorn is a relatively new pub built on a new estate in Warwick. It has a varied menu and gives value for money.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Unicorn.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Interesting how this place has changed recently..........as someone who was pleased to see a new management couple installed pre Christmas, my how the novelty has worn off.
The original improvements have clearly fallen by the wayside since the initial impetus faded, the landlord appears to have either given up or got too comfortable as he rarely appears, and on the odd occasion he does he is usually nowhere near the professional end of the business i.e. actually working.

I visit on average twice a week when staying in the area on business and I regularly see locals complaining about poor beer, food being sent back and a general malaise that clearly wasn't evident until recently. Myself, I can no longer bring myself to eat in here after several poor experiences and the poor reaction to my genuine complaints regarding food temperature and quality.

Huge queues appear at specific times which should be a sign of forward movement for the pub but frequently just mean lack of staff (and management assistance), only for customers to patiently wait for a beer that is often unpalatable.

Despite a notice (small but still apparent) to the contrary, children still run wild at weekends, ignored by management, staff and parents alike, making this anything but a "genuine" community pub, to the degree I actually feel for anyone who really does treat this as their local.......................

What is it going to take for Marston's and the landlord to realise that change is needed sooner rather than later............

6  Thank John D

Thank you for your feedback. (Although somewhat personal and off topic in the main)

I'm glad to hear you were pleased to see new management 'installed' here at The Unicorn.
I can assure you that I have not 'given up' nor have I become 'too comfortable' - I also work a considerable amount of hours in both front and back of house areas of the business.
Although I am rather offended that you have chosen to use Trip Advisor to question how much I work, coupled with the fact I don't have to justify myself to someone like yourself I will take some time to answer some of your comments.

Recently due to difficult circumstances my pattern of work has had to be adjusted to adapt. As you mentioned you only visit twice a week, perhaps this is maybe why you think I 'rarely appear'?

I acknowledge there has been a small issue with our Stella 4%. We have had a number of issues with kegs having to be returned due to being flat. During this time we have replaced all dispense equipment related to the product including new branded glassware to alleviate the problem. The product is not 'unpalatable' as you suggest it just appears flat in the glass. we always change the beer when this happens with good grace without fuss or issue. Your sweeping, statement suggests that all my beer is awful which is unfounded and not based on fact. To the contrary, this is the first 'genuine' complaint about my draught products since taking over the pub.

At times the bar does become busy. We operate a system that allows customers to place their orders for both food and drink at any till behind the bar. This can at times lead to some people waiting a little longer to be served at peak times as the person in front may be ordering both meals and drinks. I have passed your comments on to Head Office although at this time there are no plans to change the current system.

I'm sorry to hear about the 'several' poor experiences you have had, (none of which I have been made aware of) If you e-mail me directly at the pub with details of these incidents I will investigate what went wrong and what we can do in the future to rectify them.

Children are more than welcome at The Unicorn. We have a specific area designated for 'Adults Only' and also an area set aside for later on in the evenings.
We have a 'Family Area' where families are encouraged to sit.

Unfortunately some children are a little less well behaved than others and issues are addressed when necessary by myself - not 'ignored' as you say.

As a genuine community pub we look to accommodate everybody and not discriminate against anyone (just because they choose to have children or bring them to the pub for a meal).

Kind Regards