“Still good value..”

Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford Upon Avon
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stay at this hotel at least twice a year, so I'm well placed to review it. I've updated it this trip, for the few reasons below. I've also copied one of my reviews below, with more detail.

This hotel is still great value for money and a perfect location for Stratford and Warwick, especially the castle which is close. The breakfast is an added bonus, plus overall the rooms are still in good order. Some new things to note, that aren't in my original reviews:

- priority club members now pay for parking. I was told that we now get a drink or 300 points... Mmhh not convinced. I had free parking and points, so I don't buy that. But be aware.
- wifi is better now, works and decent speed.
- TV channels have improved, lots more
- breakfast on Sunday. I think HI express needs to rethink the 7.30am start, it's 6.30 all week. It causes mayhem and a mad rush. Start at 6.30/7am, let people who are up (me!!) eat earlier.
- beds and pillows. I stay at lots of hotels with this brand making a big deal of mattress and pillows. I think these will need looking at at this HI express soon. It's sad, but on my top three of things I look for as a good nights sleep is key. This time, both are looking and feeling more worn.

Old review copied below, we will be back again so nothing above is major, but will keep an eye on it over the next few stays. Overall, still well recommended hotel.
----------/
"Great value for money"
I've stayed at this hotel at least 12 times and honestly, can think of much wrong with it. I mean it's not 5 star, but it's good. The location is clearly NOT ideal if you want to be in a town or dont have a car. The hotel is in good order, plenty of seating downstairs and a cracking free breakfast. Again, remember it is FREE so don't expect something amazing. But as a family of four we have stayed and eaten many times. The staff are always good and helpful. The rooms are good, typical holiday inn express - clean and practical. There is a microwave, ideal if you have kids and don't want to eat out each night. Ideally located between Stratford and Warwick. Personally I've eaten the restaurant next door to the hotel a few times and won't again. It looks much better than it is...go to Warwick or Stratford, plenty to eat at each. there is much choice in either location. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be back again later this year

1  Thank SaintmarkLondon

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed on Saturday 12th April. Very impressed with the staff and the cleanliness of our room 213.

We noted on the web site that you can take your pet. This was a problem for me as I have allergies against animals. A phone call to the hotel answered my query. They have one corridor for pet owners, it was no problem and we were allocated a room which does not take pets.

The only slight downside on this hotel is that you have to pay £3 to park your car overnight. I'm not sure why this charge is necessary. We caught a taxi into Warwick town centre using Castle Cars of Warwick and were charged £8 for a less than 2 mile journey. Castle car driver informed me this is the standard charge. I think a lot of money for such a short journey

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A Holiday Inn is a Holiday Inn is a Holiday Inn. Fortunately you always know what you are going to get unless you're staying at a really old one off the beaten track. This one is nicely placed between Stratford-Upon-Avon and Warwick and is therefore very convenient and accessible for both places. We bunked four in a single room with a double bed and a sleep couch. It was a squeeze but we managed it. The room was equipped with a TV, the doings for coffee/tea and an en suite bathroom comprising hand basin shower and toilet. The only complaint about the room is that it is not very light proof and the corridor lights are quite bright and there is a major shortage of electrical sockets. Other than that, the staff are pleasant, it is clean and fresh and serves a very good breakfast.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Me and my family stayed for 2 nights and found the hotel and grounds great for the price we paid, The staff were really friendly and gave us a great welcome, The rooms were yes basic but had a large plasma tv, shower was great and free wifi was a lifesaver. Breakfast was great however the second morning ran out of a lot of the items. Don't let other reviewers put you off my daughter slept in the pull out bed and was very comfy as were me and my girlfriend we found the beds really comfy and I got a great nights sleep. In response also to "noise pollution" off children it was a easter bank holiday weekend and we never encounter any bad behaviour. The pub next door was ok however some of my family were waiting over an hour for food because they could not cope and apparently closed over the weekend as could not cope with demand so might be worth giving that a wide birth. But all in all its a great location for the castle and Warwick itself if I was in the area I would not hesitate to stop here again

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Staff not very friendly and room very basic. Very cramped for 2 adults and 2 children. 2 Children were expected to share the sofa bed which as this way pulled out left barely any room to move about the room :-(. Breakfast buffet not great as even the milk seemed UHT/Pasterised?!?! Not great when opting for cereal. YUCK! Paying to park and pub next door being closed for a refurb added to our grumbles too. Shame as we used to use Express by Holiday Inn a lot but definitely wont be opting for this chain again in the near future.
Having said that, like others have said, great base for Warwick Castle, Cadbury World and Stratford Upon Avon.
No token gesture or any mention of easter for the kids either which would have been a nice touch. Staff really need some training in how to look happy in their job

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
DGMWARWICK, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford Upon Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we greatly appreciate and value all of our guests feedback.
It is disappointing to read that you found our family room to be basic, the family room consists of one double bed and one double sofa bed which can accommodate up to four people sharing.
It is unfortunate that our free breakfast did not meet your expectations and that the separately located Porridge Pot Pub was closed during your visit. We do have 12” stuffed crust pizzas available for our guests, or our staff would be more than happy to recommend local eateries and takeaways during guests stays.
It’s great to see that our location met your needs, we know you have many choices and options when choosing a hotel to stay, and we hope you would give us the chance to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with the family (10 year old & 18 month old) in a very cramped room which they called a family room. The room was one double bed and a sofa bed. The sofa bed was very dangerous for young children because the frame work was metal and fully exposed. My young daughter had several bumps because of this due to the very limited space. Breakfast was appalling and the hot food was more like prison food which has not been improved despite previous complaints. Obviously the manager has little regard for improvement. Never again would I stay here or recommend this hotel to others. Very poor indeed!

Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
It is disappointing to read our double bed and double sofa bed family room did not meet your needs, we do also have cots which can be made available for our younger guests should you require use of this.
Your comments regarding the sofa bed will be passed on to our housekeeping team, who will make any necessary maintenance if needed to ensure the comfort our guests.
It is also disappointing to read that our free breakfast did not live up to your expectations during your stay. Our free breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, toast, pastries, muffins, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cheese and a selection of other items.
We greatly value all of our guest’s comments and regularly feed these back to the team, which then allow us to make improvements to the service we offer.
We hope you would give us the chance to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this hostelry and really dont understand what some people expect for their money. Room was great - clean and comfortable - one of the most comfy beds we have slept in - but then Hypnos mattresses are by Royal appointment, facilities were good - loved the ice machine, and staff were extremely friendly & helpful. Quality of breakfast was fine - only niggle was the fact that parents let their kids run riot and noise pollution was high from uncontrolled kids! we didn't eat at the pub next door because it was overrun on the first night and shut for the rest of the weekend so we dined at the Racehorse down the road on both evenings and their steaks were excellent. All in all a good break at excellent value for money - much better value than some 5 star establishments we have stayed in. Thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MunkeyManchester

Thank you for taking the time to feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
It’s great to read that you were pleased with the cleanliness and comfort of our bedrooms, and that our free breakfast met your needs.
Your kind comments will be passed onto our team, and are a great motivator!
We hope to see you again in the future.
Felicity

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warwick
Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon
#11 of 12 in Warwick
Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick
The Old Fourpenny Shop Hotel
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate

Been to Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford Upon Avon? Share your experiences!