“acceptable not exceptional”

Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
Reviewed 23 July 2010

travelled on business. room clean and comfortable. leisure facilities also good.
My mistake was to eat in the lounge. I ordered Calamari starter and Fish and Chips main course. A colleague ordered the fish and chips, and cheese and biscuits for afters.
After quite a long wait my colleagues F&C arrived. Some time later my calamari arrived. Calamari was ok. appeared fresh cooked. Then the wait began. nobody bothered to clear the plates. After an hour [yes, an hour] i went to the bar and asked if my main was coming. [at this point my coleague was also still waiting for his Cheese/biscuits.] A fairly luke warm response was given at the bar - but I was assured it was coming. Another 1/2 hour passed before it arrived (along with colleagues C&B). I wish had not bothered. Overcooked fish, and cheap nasty catering chips...[and £14 to boot!!] finished it, and still nobody bothered to clear the table.
My summary - lousy food and non-existant service. If I go again I'll eat out.
Breakfast was better, but I watched a staff member piling fresh cooked bacon onto the buffet on top of stuff that was already out instead of rotating it. Eggs (as seems to be standard these days) were cooked up front and left to go hard. plus you had to (my own personal hate) 'do your own toast'

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
HiltonWarwick, General Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2010

Dear katanaismybike,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback following your recent stay. I was pleased to note that you found the hotel facilities and our Leisure Club of a good standard coupled with a high level of cleanliness throughout.
I was sorry to learn of your food and beverage experience in the lounge and can assure you that this was not upto the usual high standards of service associated with the hotel. Your comments have been addressed with my Food & Beverage team. I do hope that you will consider using the hotel again when you next have a requirement in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,627)

Reviewed 20 July 2010

I would like to start off by saying that my partner and I had a fantastic stay at the Hilton in Warwick, and would certainly consider returning for another special occassion.
The Hilton was situated in a perfect location for tourists, with the Warwick castle less than a mile away! This was the main purpose of our stay at the Hilton as there was a concert at the castle in the evening, unfortunately we decided to drive and try and park nearer the castle... but ended up walkin further from a car park we were told to park in (would have been much easier to walk from the hotel!).
There were only a few problems that could be pointed out, but they are expected to appear in any hotel that we may have choosen to stay in.
One small problem was the service when we first arrived to check in. Our room rate was £72 per night, and we were staying for 2 nights... it would have been expected that the total charge for the room should have been £152 (and the extra charge of £6 for parking).
However the receptionist charged us £240, without explaining there was a pre-charge (i think that was what the receptionist called it when we questioned the amount). She just expected us to know the operation of which the hotel works. However the situation was resolved and explained with out any problem.
The hotel room could not have been any cleaner, there wasn't a spot of dirt to been seen anywhere in the room or hotel.
However there was a bottle of water in the room which was a cost of about £3.95,
I work in a 4 star hotel, and offer free mineral water... so being charged for the water seemed a bit unreasonable. However the other drinks from the bar were not as expensive as other hotels in which we have stayed, so we thought that it was quite reasonable.
The swimming pool seemed to be quite small, and was filled with younger children - not quite what we had expected, which made it quite hard to find a reasonable time to swim.
Overall our stay was every pleasant, and the food was really good, and was good quality for the price.
Even though some people may find this hotel expensive and over priced by the room rate, but you really do pay for what you get!!
I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay and with friendly staff that always seemed welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Sam_Louise,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I was most pleased to read that you found the cleanliness, service and facilities at the hotel first class. Thank-you for recommending us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Well situated for touring the area, Warwick, Stratford, Leamington etc.
Check in was extremely slow and a queue built up, there seemed no urgency.
Room on third floor and only one lift operating, (it remained inoperative for the three days I was there) Room was small, but comfortable enough, plenty of tea and coffee along with biscuits. A small wardrobe with trousers press, iron and ironing board. Bathroom well equipped and clean.
The air conditioning worked well, but during the night it went off and had to be restarted.

As mentioned in another review it is certainly a Hilton Meeting Hotel, with vast numbers of business people sitting around the lounge area, if you did not have a laptop you were the odd one out!

Beware buying a coffee though as a skinny latte cost over £4!!!

Breakfast was excellent, with a vast range of food available, both hot and cold and the staff were helpful indeed.

Did not eat dinner in the hotel. the menu looked ok although a little pricey, There is carvery across the road that was pleasant enough to eat in if a little bland.

The leisure facilities were on the small side especially the changing area for men which was full with three average size males in it, The pool was warm and clean enough, but certainly not large enough for any serious swimming.

A reasonable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
HiltonWarwick, General Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2010

Dear Moondust2,

Thank-you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I was pleased to note your positive ratings and that you recommend to the hotel to others. Your loyalty is appreciated.

Hilton Warwick Stratford-upon-Avon appeals to both Leisure guests given our premium location between Warwick and Stratford, as well as corporate guests from Monday - Friday. The lounge is a well known meeting place given our close proximity to the M40, however it is large enough to be intimate as well as do business.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2010

This could be the best hotel in the world (it isn't...it's a Hilton on a motorway junction that's full of people being interviewed and groups of businessmen letting down whatever hair they've got left) but any hotel that charges £15 for internet access in the room is from now onwards getting a 'Terrible' rating from me, and I urge all other reviewers to do the same until this ridiculous and outrageous policy is changed. How can this charge be justified? Why not charge for bath water or electricity while you're at it? It's a con.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Dear verchaixbob,

I note your comments regarding the charging of Internet Access at the hotel. Firstly I would like to highlight this is the same across the entire Hilton Estate.
The company charges for internet access as we provide a large width and "High" security service unlike those of our competitors who offer this service free.
There are currently plans to offer free access for our guests to adminster their e-mail, with a charge being levied for downloads which require a a larger band width. This will be announced later this year.
Given the good feedback you provide for all other areas, I am sorry the charging of internet access has had such a detrimental impact on your overall stay. I do hope that you will re-consider staying with Hilton again as your loyalty is important to us.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

good location for the town and castle,about a 30 minute walk or 5 minute drive.hotel was clean and tidy.restaurant choice was ok.set menu for 3 courses if you wanted for £19.50.reasonable choice of dishes and the food was plentiful and tasty.the main menu however was pricey so avoided that.£22.50 for a steak was too much.the bar area was pleasant and roomy.drinks typical hotel prices,not excessive.the only problem we had was the restaurant calling us at 10-15 at night to say we had left without paying for our drinks when we had signed for them to be charged to our room.very rude lady from the restaurant so i complained to the management about this.they were very apologetic and helpful so i was satisfied with the gesture of a couple of free drinks for us.would go back with no hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Davenzoe,

Thank-you for your loyalty following your recent stay.

I was very pleased to read your comments and noted the high ratings given across all areas especially that of "Value".

You mentioned that some items on the menu were expensive. I must highlight that we operate an Ala carte and Table d hote menu's which are aimed at all budgets and all occasions. In addition there is lounge menu featuring comfort foods as well as a 24hr Room Service Menu to ensuire that our guests have the choice and options associated with a Hilton hotel.

I was sorry to read there was a misunderstanding over the payment of some drinks, however I was very pleased to note that we immediately recognised this, apologised and offered a gesture for the inconvenience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 17 June 2010

This was a very poor standard of hotel for a Hilton. The room I was allocated was basic and had an awful smell which the staff failed to address. The bathroom was so unpleasant to be in - it smelt of foul drains. The restaurant choice was very poor and the staff surly. Very, very disappointed and would never go back again - left early.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
HiltonWarwick, General Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2010

Dear AnnesleySuffolk.

I was most concerned to read your comments following your recent stay given the fact that the hotel has been completely refurbished during the last two years. In addition, I was most surprised that you felt our menu choice was restricted on the basis that we have an extensive TDH, Ala Carte & Lounge menu supplemented further by a 24hr Room Service Menu.

I have tried to contact you direct to discuss the matter further without any success. If you would like to address these concerns further please contact me direct as guest feedback is taken seriously so as to continually improve our facilities and services.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed for one night at the Hilton Warwick. Most impressed. Always been quite snobby re chain hotels and viewed Hilton since it's acquisition by Whitbread as an upmarket Premier Inn. Pleased to say I was wrong. Very clean, welcoming and a well appointed standard room for the rate. Excellent little leisure club - everywhere was spotless and a credit to the housekeeping team. Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
HiltonWarwick, General Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2010

Dear Dieter5

Many thanks for your feedback. I was delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations during your stay which was to celebrate your birthday.
I have passed on your comments onto my team as well as Heidi who was very pleased.
Thank-you for recommending us and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warwick
Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford Upon Avon
The Warwickshire
#7 of 12 in Warwick
The Old Fourpenny Shop Hotel
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings

Been to Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon? Share your experiences!