“Grudgingly 'worth the cost' (but only with the special offers)”
Review of Warwick Castle

and up
Warwick Castle: Admission Ticket
Ranked #2 of 48 things to do in Warwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a totally electrifying day out at Britain’s ultimate castle. Where you can immerse yourself in a thousand years of jaw-dropping history – come rain or shine.Where ancient myths and spell-binding tales set your imagination alight, and your hair on end. Where princesses are pampered and maidens are wooed, as winners become true heroes and losers are confined to dark, dank dungeons to be forgotten for eternity. It could only be Warwick Castle.
Bradford, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Grudgingly 'worth the cost' (but only with the special offers)”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

OK I read the reviews and was expecting the worst but to me surprise have just had two great days out at Warwick Castle. Pricey?- a resounding yes, Packed? - can be but not overwhelmingly so, Historically sound-, well up to a point yes but information is tough to come by. Even my 6 year old wanted to know who built the castle and why ad who lived their. I had to turn to my i-phone and the wonders of 3G to answer his questions which is a huge shame. No information boards no overview leaflet (that might have persuaded me that the 'brochure was a worthwhile purchase'.

Still the sun shone on us, the 'characters' were overwhelming friendly, stayed unfailingly in character and were very happy to share their knowledge. They and the birds of prey were for our two families the start attraction. Note to other mums and dads; if you think the birds of prey thing is going to be dull its not - Its so good we saw the show 4 times in 2 days and loved it. the kids were blown away by birds the size of a small child swooping low over their heads and sweeping around the castle. Magic, really magic.

So scan the internet get the best offers you can, take a picnic and LOTS of water and prepare for a bit of medieval magic. If you see the offer for the second day at £1 then grab it as it makes the whole thing a much more leisurely experience and all the better for it.

By the way its worth exploring the battlements just as a show starts and the hordes are not jamming the steep stairs and narrow passing points.
Its worth being aware that the bathrooms are few and far between and can have huge queue so if you have kids you will end up making unscheduled 'treestops' - I guarantee it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Value for money as well as interesting”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My Husband and I spent a lovely day out at Warwick castle with our 2 grandsons aged 10 and 4. We were busy all day as there was so much to do and watch. It can be expensive but if you look out for 1/2 price or buy one get one free tickets it is extremely good value for money. The place is well organised and the presenters of each show are cheerful, funny and willing to please the visitors. There are even enough things to see for us to go again using the free return ticket which expires after the half term holiday.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Dollytwo
Feltham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“beware of costs for extras....”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

A friend and I visited Warwick castle a the weekend, and whilst we had a great day, I am a little disapointed that even though you have paid a fair price to come in you still have to pay for things.

Dungeon tower- had to pay and book time slot when tickets were purcahsed, This was however fantastic, would thoroughly recomemend

Merlin tour- again had to pay for this and book time slot. I must point out this Merlin tour is the biggest rip off EVER! I felt totally "mugged of" this was an expression we used a lot during the day!. We spent 3 times the time queueing (even though we had a times slot) that the time we are in there. Totally rubbish expereience, dont wast your money on it.

Various other activities around the castle are also chargeable.

It just felt like we had paid a fee to come in and then had to keep paying!

There were various free shows, however we missed the jousting as we were on the Merlin experience. Which infiriated me after as it was such a waste of time. Also as you have to book your experiences before you get the timetable, you could clash with things you want to see, as we did.

A lot of the free shows do finish easrly September, so check their timetable.

Prices here reminded me of a theme park...not a part of our national heritage!!

1 Thank Nicola W
northwest
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day out”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Visited with 2 young boys aged 4 and 6. What a fantastic adventure for both. Okay - it is expensive and you do spend a lot more once you're inside as most places have a souvenir shop as you exit, but even with all this it is still a wonderful experience. yes, it is also very 'disneyfied' with all the shows & characters from the 1500's, but this adds to the attraction. There is almost a show of some kind every 30 minutes throughout the day.
It is very well organised. If you take a picnic there are many places you can eat it. Lots of fun.

Preston Lancs
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Superb day out”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

What a wonderful day out Warwick Castle is, they do everything so well. This is our 4th time now to the Castle and I love it more and more every time, So much to see and do, with the shows and tournaments they put on, from jousting (summer only) to birds of prey shows, walking round the turrets etc, in the house, the dungeons. So much to do and I love all the staff walking round in costumes they just make it feel so real and the kids love them, from Henry the 8th to witches (at Halloween), Its just fantastic.
This year they have a new attraction called Merlins Dragon Tower, this was good but unless you are particularly into the TV show "Merlin" I dont think its really worth the £4.80 pp extra charge, glad we did it but wont do it again.
Still not done the Dungeons yet as we have 2 young kids who arent old enough to go in yet, but I cant wait to go in, there is also extra charge for this which is £7.80 pp, I would imagine that its well worth the extra charge though.
I would get there early if you can as otherwise you will end up parking in the field which is a good 20 min walk upto the castle, also there is a £5 charge for parking, a bit steep I think seeing as you pay a fortune to get in, come on Warwick Castle reduce the parking fee a bit eh, even Legoland only charges £2 !!
Apart from that its a fabulous day out, you will need a full day 10 - 4 or 11 - 5 ish to get it all done, especially if the weather is good, as the grounds are beautiful and you can take a picnic you dont have to eat there, but if you do want to eat in the castle there are lots of different things from hot dogs to full dinners in the restaurant.
All in all an absolutely fantastic day out for all the family.

Visited August 2011