“An excellent adventure for youngsters around 12”
Review of Warwick Castle

Stratford, The Cotswolds, Oxford and Warwick Castle Tour from London
Ranked #3 of 48 things to do in Warwick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imagine a totally electrifying day out at Britain’s ultimate castle. Where you can immerse yourself in a thousand years of jaw-dropping history – come rain or shine.Where ancient myths and spell-binding tales set your imagination alight, and your hair on end. Where princesses are pampered and maidens are wooed, as winners become true heroes and losers are confined to dark, dank dungeons to be forgotten for eternity. It could only be Warwick Castle.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was our second trip to Warwick Castle with our 12 year old grandsons (we had taken their older brothers when they were 12). In my opinion, the castle is set up for preteens and has sufficient material to keep the adults interested. Given the fact that it is a commercial enterprise, I think they do quite well. There are many exhibits and "shows" that keep the kids interested. The staff is well trained and they do an excellent job at keeping the visitor involved in the history of the castle and what life was like in the early years. The Dungeon Tour (extra cost) is pretty intense and actually scared a few of the youngsters. Nevertheless, it was quite interesting. Overall, it is worth the train trip to Warwick if your schedule permits.

Warwick_Manager, Guest Experience at Warwick Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with your grandsons TennesseeChemist. We're glad to hear you found there was plenty to do to keep all ages in your group entertained all day. It's really good to know our team were able to introduce you to plenty of our history. We hope to welcome you back to the Castle again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visited the castle 7 years ago and it was the highlight of our UK trip. We were very excited to revisit however we were very disappointed.
Yes it was expensive, however I actually don't mind paying if you get quality. This time, we had to pay extra for a couple of "special items" - Merlin (TV show) experience and the Dungeon experience. Last time, we did not need to pay extra to go into the dungeon and this time, the experience came with smoke machines and strobe lighting - not our cup of tea. The Merlin experience was really just for kids - they should probably tell us that beforehand.
The entire place has been set up as a theme park for kids. I understand the need to keep children entertained, however a balance would have been nice. There were so many school groups there! We sat in the main grounds hoping for a quiet rest at one point - I am not sure what was worse, the sounds of hundreds of school children or the "themed" music that is now pumped out of speakers across the castle.
That said, the bowman is fantastic - very entertaining and witty. The trebuchet is still fantastic and as is the falconry display.
I am quite sad that the castle has gone this way - I quite often tell friends how England leads the way in presenting their history, by letting it speak for itself; not in this case unfortunately.

1  Thank LisaSnowden

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review Lisa. We were interested to read your comments and we have passed along your comments to the appropriate teams where relevant. It's great to hear you enjoyed our resident Castle Bowman's demonstration along with our Flight of the Eagles show and fantastic trebuchet. We hope you'll visit again in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The food here was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. We found a bone in a hamburger, hair in pasta, and the French fries were uncooked limp and floppy. If you are over the age of 5 everything here is a waste of time. They've gutted and redone the castle so it's not worth going inside of. The rose garden was the only thing worth seeing, and it is not worth even £3, let alone £30. Don't waste your time.

7  Thank Taylor F

Hello Taylor, thank you for leaving us a review. We would very much like to discuss your comments with you in more detail. Please feel free to contact us using the details provided on our website so we can look into your comments further. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited Warwick Castle roughly nine years ago. Back then it was pretty low key, but I guess someone else has taken over the business.

We were disappointed nine years ago; I love old castles, the older the better but it was very...lacking somehow. It was like the management didn't yet realise how special it was. I'm so pleased they have made more of it now. It is a whole day out.

Tips:

1) Buy your tickets online, in advance! The price varies depending on how early you book in advance. To take a family of two adults and two children you'd be looking at over £100 on the gate. I guess this is the inevitable down side of new management realising they have an important part of English history.

If you're an English Heritage member it will be cheaper to buy tickets on the gate. You save 50%, which is cheaper than any online saving.

If I wasn't an English Heritage member I wouldn't have been able to visit Warwick Castle. As a huge lover of English castles (I'm 32 and not nerdy so really, everyone will enjoy Warwick, not just history buffs) I feel quite sad about how much I'm asked to pay to access a part of my country's history. No, you're right, I'm here to review the site not go off about money. All I'll say is: if on a tight budget, this may not be for you.

2) There are different types of tickets, it's worth working out which one you really want. The Complete Castle Kingdom ticket won't be right for everyone. It includes Merlin: Dragon Tower which is great for kids, the Castle Dungeon which is great for adults, but not the faint hearted, and the usual Castle/grounds bit.

We didn't have any children in our party, and my relative probably wouldn't have survived the Dungeon as she's easily scared and claustrophobic so sadly, I can't help you out with those.

3) Go on a tour. I'm all for tours. It's not a nerdy thing, I just think it transforms a bunch of old objects into something human and interesting.

There are several tours available throughout the day, focusing on different things. A young guy was our guide and he was super. He was informative, enthusiastic, and funny. He turned the typical rich faces in ancient portraits (you know, the lords who live a million light years from our lives) into human beings. There are sad stories, murder, the lot. Give it a shot.

4) Don't eat the cake from that fridge thing. Hopefully when you see it in the Under Croft Restaurant you'll know what I mean. The cake will be very dry.

5) Keep your eyes out for the birds. It's quite funny watching the falconers try to get a massive bird down from the battlements when it has wandered off.

6) Walk the battlements and towers if you are able, there are beautiful views up there.

You'll enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will. I know I've moaned about some things but that's because it's gone so commercial. My objections have nothing to do with the beauty and entertainment quality.

1  Thank Lisano8

Hello Lisa, thank you for your review. It was interesting to read about how the Castle compares between now and a decade ago and it's really nice to hear that you're happy with how we've developed the Castle and that we've made plenty of our beautiful building and grounds. Thanks for leaving such great tips, especially about our regular free History tours which we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Its an excellent day out for all the family. lots of things for the kids to do and a great learning experience.

Thank you for this great review of your excellent day at Warwick Castle LandG, we really are pleased to hear you found plenty to do and that you all learnt lots whilst you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon.