“Not a quiet relaxing break!”

Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
“Not a quiet relaxing break!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my first trip away from home as a single person in many years. Chose this hotel as I got a good deal and it was near enough to go home if I couldn't handle it. On arrival I was told I couldn't eat in the restaurant as it was too busy and bar meals end at 5.30pm. Only option was room service. Allocated room M41 a mansion room. Quite nice but as I later discovered very near the device area so incredibly noisy. Staff left doors open so noisier than it really needed to be. I ordered room service and was told it would arrive at 9pm. Not wishing to sit in my room all night I had a drink in the bar. Went back to my room at 8.30 and my dinner was already there - and stone cold! Kitchen noise continued until gone 10pm. At 6am Sunday morning I was woken by staff calling to each other and at 0630 the vacuuming started! So hardly any sleep was had. Went to leisure club before breakfast but sauna and steam room was turned off . I think someone should have put all this on before it opened at 7 as everything was cold and would take time to warm up. V disappointed all round. Won't recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I recently paid my 3rd visit to Wroxall Abbey with 6 Friends to celebrate my Birthday, Our Table was booked for 7-30pm, we arrived @ 7-10pm on our way to sit on the Terrace we ordered drinks from the bar which Tom very kindly delivered to our table on the terrace. when our meal was ready to be served we were seated at our table in the Restaurant the 3 course meal we had was perfect nothing was too much trouble for the staff, after the meal we had coffee in the Lounge we all were enjoying ourselves so much we didn't realise the time had gone so quick, we eventually left at 11-30pm. I cannot comment on the Hotel side as we live about 16 miles from Wroxall so we didn't stay, I can honestly say we have never been disappointed on the Service & Food that we received on our visits so much so that we are looking forward to our next one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nebo
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Very welcoming on arrival. Room lovely very clean. A little surprised no robes you had to request them!! Hair dryer very out dated. Spa sadly very under used so looked tired a little unloved. Didn't like some of the breakfast layout again for the price it was very much help yourself and i didn't like the jam and marmalade in a big bowel from a hygiene point of view I would have preferred my own little pot.
Would I stay there again? Yes I would. Grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Nice location although nothing in walking distance. Had a nice stay with a clean room and very nice food. Although it was clear cut backs have been made and not everything was how I would expect the staff were very polite and efficient. One young man stood out to me as he would do that little bit extra to ensure our stay was a success. I found out his name was Kyle so all my praise has to go to him along with another young man who's name I didn't know. Only stayed for 2 nights but would definitely stay longer next time !!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ts1230
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

fantastic couple of days in a beautiful property. the room was huge with a great bed but decor a little tired, it didn't detract from our stay but not a 4* room.
the restaurant is great just a bit expensive, there are a lot of fantastic pubs in this area which makes the prices too high.
we had a Morgan for a day which was superb, the owner was very accommodating and passionate about the cars and his hotel.
would return without a doubt but hope the owners spend a little on revamping the rooms,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

you need to choose your room carefully here because they vary in quality immensely. the hotel itself is impressive, our room sadly, although it was in the mansion itself, was a major let down and we did asked to be moved. we had been upgraded to a superior room upon arrival, in the manson and these rooms are £199.99. very expensive i think. for this, we had a room right next door to the lift, room 64 i think ? it was so small with an ensuite probably built in the late 80s, this was disgusting as the radiator had calcified and resembled a piece of metal covered in barnacles. our towels had been placed on top of this yucky stuff. the room was so small and the decor was badly in need of a makeover but the best part of this room was the aircon switch cover. it had obviously got broken at some point and somebody had decided to hold the cover on with chewing gum. and this room was a superior room costing £200 a night !!! disgusting really and it really spoilt our stay here. made a complaint to the duty manager who was herself quite disgusted with what she saw and so apologetic but that doesnt excuse the fact that this room was sub-standard and being sold as a superior top quality bedroom at top dollar. She did however, move us to the oriental room which was at the other end of the scale. it was a huge suite, lovely room which at the princeley sum of £400, needed to be something special. the restaurant was lovely and the waiters were so attentive and well presented. you couldnt fault anything about these guys. the food was beautiful and the wine list was extensive. very nice indeed. the pool is so worth a visit, with a sauna and jacuzzi. we had this to ourselves. there is a lovely terrace to sit out on with views overlooking the lake. overall, a very impressive place but such a let down with the room. mixed feeling on this one. definately overpriced and nothing special. sorry

Room Tip: rooms on the terrace side are far more better situated but pick carefully
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank loubuddy
EmmaBWAE, General Manager at Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Wroxall. I apologise that the accommodation fell short of your expectations. After investigating the points further, I would like to respond to them in turn.
Wroxall has a collection of 72 bedrooms ranging from single rooms to Master Suites and Bi Level lofts. We believe the room you stayed in was 49 (not 64) which is a Mansion Superior.
On inspection the Maintenance team have found that the towel rail needs attention in this room and this is now on the plan of refurbishment to be replaced.
The cover for the air conditioning control panel had become loose and the Maintenance team had used a white tack to secure this until a more permanent solution was available. It was not chewing gum, however I apologise that this was not rectified prior to your stay.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your experience at Wroxall and the service received from our staff was good. I hope that the issues in your room do not overshadow this or deter you from returning to the Estate in the future.
Stoke on Trent, England
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at Wroxall Abbey Estate for two nights at the end of August for a wedding with my parents in law.
The thing that Wroxall excels in is the building and grounds which are absolutely stunning. It is quiet and peaceful except on the nights of weddings. We found the staff to be helpful and the food we had throughout our stay was very good indeed.
We stayed in one of the suite rooms at the back of the building overlooking the patio at one side and the grounds at the back. The room cost £165 per night which for us was a lot of money to pay, but we were expecting luxury and as it was a special wedding we went for it. The room was very big and as well as a four poster bed, had a sofa with chairs and coffee table, a small dining table with chairs and a wardrobe and units with a desk and mirror. Although there was a lot of furniture in the room, we only had half a wardrobe to put our clothes in. The other half stank terribly of moth balls and I wouldn’t have dared leave clothes in there for any length of time. There was only one very small cupboard to put underwear in. This was a disappointment and the room was furnished with a tired mix of furniture that had seen better days. The carpet though was plush and soft and a treat to walk on in bare feet. The bed was very comfortable though soft and as one other reviewer mentioned, the quilt didn’t seem big enough, though that didn’t bother us as the room was so warm.
We found the size of the room to be fantastic as we had a hairdresser come and family were popping in and out all morning. The Ensuite bathroom was clean and the shower very powerful. There was a Jacuzzi style bath though we didn’t use it.
The one issue I had was with general cleanliness. The edges of the carpet were thick with dust and when I picked up a cushion clouds of dust came off it and made me cough. The areas well used like the bathroom and bed were clean enough, the rest wasn’t and I’m not a fussy person. Someone with asthma may have an issue with this room.
So the lack of useable clothes storage and the lack of cleanliness were big downers for us and I would say that we expected higher standards given the price and how nice the building was in general.
The wedding itself was very good and I could recommend this venue. The staff worked like a well-oiled machine and the transformation of the main room from breakfast room in the morning to ceremony room to reception meal room was seamless. The food was good (though the trend for crunchy vegetables was not to my taste). There was a lovely patio area which we used for drinks etc and grounds to walk in and provide interesting backdrops for the photos.
Our couple married in the main house though they could have chosen the chapel close by (very short walking distance). In the evening the party was held in the marquee which was huge. The noise from the music is loud. On the Friday evening there was another wedding on but the music in the main house stopped at 11pm. Our couple had exclusive use of the venue so the music didn’t make any difference. My husband couldn’t sleep and got up at 3am. Phil, the night watchman made him a cup of tea which was appreciated.
Breakfast is a buffet of hot and cold food. We really enjoyed the breakfasts which were very nicely cooked and presented.
Areas of the house are restricted if there is a wedding on and if I had visited for a weekend and could not use them I think I would have been upset by that. It depends on whether visitors would have been made aware of that before booking. Internet was not available to us and very few of the guests could get a mobile phone signal which was a nuisance but no more than that. Drinks are very expensive, £6 for a small glass of white wine.
All in all, a mixture of very good points and not so good. Would I stay again? Probably not. I’m sure that for the price paid there are better places available and we are currently waiting for a refund as we were overcharged on our bill. The building and the grounds are stunning and the staff very helpful, but some money needs to be spent on updating some of the rooms for this to be reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: There are lifts to the first and second floors. The back of the house has lovely views. I can only c...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank blueaerodynamique
EmmaBWAE, General Manager at Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the wedding was a successful and enjoyable occasion.
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding Housekeeping, I will pass these on to the team.
Whilst we take on board your comments regarding drinks prices we feel we offer a wide range of competitively priced refreshments with a glass of house wine starting from £4.00.
Please accept my apologies for the queries on your bill which have now been rectified. We look forward to giving you a special welcome should you return to the Estate.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warwick
Honiley Court Hotel
#10 of 12 in Warwick
Castle Limes Hotel
Castle Limes Hotel
#2 of 12 in Warwick

Been to Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate? Share your experiences!