“Excellent meal in historic surroundings” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Saxon Mill
Ranked #30 of 129 Restaurants in Warwick
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal in historic surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This place oozes charm as soon as you turn into the carpark. It is a working mill with a bar downstairs and restaurant upstairs around the millwheel. We had a sticky sharing platter to start, which consisted of spare ribs, lamb koftas, tzatziki etc. and for main I had fish cakes and my son had lamb. We were too full for pudding unfortunately! We will definitely be visiting again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Emma T, Guest Relations Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food and the surroundings with us at The Saxon Mill, thanks for the fantastic feedback!

Watch out for our new menu which we're launching in October.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Emma

• Greek first
Bromsgrove
“Come here if you want to be ripped off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Visited with family, booked a table in advance even though they couldn't find our booking on arrival, luckily there were spare tables. Not a good start.

No problems with the food or service it was good.

We checked in advance and on the day regarding the weekday fixed price menu, we were told bank holidays were included.

We all ordered fixed price options on the menu, as indicated by the waitress. 2 or 3 courses.

The bill was a lot higher than expected, so we questioned it and was then told the fixed price 2/3 course menu didn't apply on bank holiday Monday. The manager told us everything is fixed price, the price on the menu is the price you pay! He also told it's it's Sunday, I think he needs to check his calendar.

We were eventually offered a small discount but came away feeling conned and ripped off.

It's a shame as Saxon Mill is such a nice setting, but would never go back to the restaurant.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with us on over the Bank Holiday and the confusion over the menus and pricing. We usually run our Sunday Roast Menu on a bank holiday Sunday & Monday, allowing customers to take advantage of our special offers on marked starters or puddings for £3 with a roast dinner. However, we apologise for not making the menu options clear on arrival and for any upset caused.

If you would like to speak to us further about your complaint please email us at enquiry@saxonmill.co.uk.

We would very much like the opportunity to make this up to you and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Haxey
“Food questionable; service exceptional....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Came here with friends having been recommended as a good restaurant. Not off to a good start when the maître D lost our reservation, however this is where the quality of service began. He soon found us a spare table on a very busy Saturday night. Very soon our waiter Aaron was looking after us sorting out our drinks whilst we perused the menu. Food ordered, drinks supplied; we were happy. Sharing platters for the four of us looked a promising start. That was until my ribeye steak turned up .

I don't think I've ever had a steak so tasteless and full of sinew it was impossible to eat. When Aaron came to clear away he noticed that my steak was barely touched and promptly said he would let the chef know and that he'd take my meal off the bill. Two minutes later he was back with an apology from the chef and offered me a free dessert in addition to the refund of my main course.

The rest of my party had really good meals and were completely satisfied with their choices. Our desserts were scrumptious we all shared a dessert platter and I had an extra chocolate pot gratis. The dessert sharing plate was extremely good value and large enough for three people at the price of two single desserts. Our wine was bottle of Gavi de Gavi and was an excellent choice.

The service from the restaurant was exceptional. I have to say my steak wasn't up to the quality of the other meals so I reckon it was just a one-off.

I'd be happy to return to the Saxon Mill.

Visited August 2014
Emma T, Guest Relations Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Many thanks for your feedback about your recent experience with us. My apologies about the quality of your Ribeye, especially as this is one of our best dishes and is usually extremely popular. I'm pleased to hear that Aaron was able to resolve this for you so quickly and with such professionalism. I will make sure your comments are passed onto him!

We hope to see you back again very soon.

Northamptonshire
“Saturday Lunch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Three of us went for lunch and had a very enjoyable time. The setting is fabulous we sat outside by the river for a drink and then went upstairs to the restaurant, The tables were a little close we were sat in the middle of the room and I felt a little hemmed in. The food and service was excellent, the sharing platters as a starter are fabulous, the calamari excellent. Main courses were of a good size and excellent quality and I really like the idea of the 'small dish of the day'. This is as it sounds a smaller main course which meant I could squeeze in the most amazing dessert of Chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream. The whole bill was a reasonable £63:00 foe 3 of us.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your 5 star review and for letting us know how much you enjoyed your lunch with us. We will soon be lighting the log fires, so I can definitely recommend a table by the fire during the coming autumn months which you may prefer to the restaurant.

We hope to see you back very soon.

West Midlands
“Good enough for Sir Guy himself............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The setting of the Saxon Mill is superb. The Waterwheel turning , the river, the waterfall and the view across the water to Guy's Cliffe is fantastic. The legend surrounding this is that Sir Guy of Warwick falls in love with the lady Felice ("Happiness"), who is of much higher social standing. In order to wed Felice he must prove his valour in chivalric adventures and become a knight; in order to do this he travels widely, battling fantastic monsters such as dragons, giants, a Dun Cow and great boars. Guy's Cliffe Chapel is home to the Warwick Freemasons and across the river on the footpath is St James Church at Old Milverton. Some tombstones are marked 'KT' Knights Templar.

The Saxon Mill lies in the lee of both and the restaurant itself is also very attractive and pleasant.Over the years the premises have changed hands a few times and the service and food/wine has been a little bit up and down. No longer. the service is excellent and the food and wine in keeping with the excellence of the premises.

Our party of four were there for lunch and began by sharing roasted garlic & parmesan flatbread £6.95 and artisan rustic breads, olive oil, dukkah, olives £4.95. They were greatly enjoyed.

For mains we had two spit roasted chicken, lemon & garlic confit, jus, frites, aioli £12.95, ale battered, line-caught cod & chips, minted mushy peas, tartare sauce £11.95 and a chicken scallopini, green salad, frites £9.95. The meals were without exception consumed with relish.

We drank a bottle of New Zealand Tokomaru Bay sauvignon blanc £22.50.

It is worth mentioning they have a Fixed Price Menu - 2 courses for £12.50, 3 courses for £15.50. We were also encouraged to see several young children eating - all well-behaved and all seemingly to enjoy their food.

Overall this was a very pleasant experience. Very good food and wine was complemented by excellent service. The Saxon Mill is a delight in itself and the footpaths over the river provide and easy way to gently walk off any excess.

1 Thank safarian
Emma T, Guest Relations Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a well informed and delightful review to read! I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope that you will join us again very soon.