Birmingham Central Backpackers
  • Fitness centre
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscommon roomcoach stationbed dormpod roomfree breakfastminute walk from the city centrenew street stationhot drinksshort staycouple of nightsdvdspoundschargersockets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived rather late to this hostel so sadly didnt get a lot of time to enjoy the bar/communal area- which looked great. We checked into our 6 bed dorm and soon found it to be clean and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit outdated and the showerhead in the shower closest to the door needs fixed as it doesnt actually sit in its holder. Other than that really nice and helpful staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been traveling solo for a few months now, all around Europe and UK. But this hostel was the least impressive.
Its about a 10-15 min walk from the station, near a industrial type area. I got the the reception, the lady was lovely, very nice. Went to my dorm (a few metres down in a different building). All seemed fine for far, until the first night.
The mattress was horrible!!! The worst I have ever slept on - it felt like sleeping on a bag of springs. So uncomfortable, digging into my back and sides. I also thought it was strange that the bed was pre-made (Already had pillow case and sheets on, plus quilt cover, which didn't really seem crisp and fresh, I like to do these things myself as you know the bedding is clean) - After 2 nights here, I woke up with the worst conjunctivitis I have had in my life, half my face had swollen up 12 hours after I checked out. Now, i can only assume it was from the pillow case & bedding, which i'm assuming wasn't clean, so whoever had slept on it before me had infected it.
Breakfast was free, but underwhelming. Just toast, cordial and fruit. The wifi worked though, as did the showers.
I wont be staying here again. I went back to Birmingham a week late and made sure to not stay in this hostel ever again. If you do intend to stay here, please please request to put on your own clean bedding.

Room Tip: Please make sure your bedding is clean!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MilHope
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A great quirky little hostel, within 5 minutes walk from Birmingham New Street and in easy reach on the Bull Ring.

Clean and Tidy, simple things such as the Bath Mats were changed everyday show the level of care that the hostel takes.

The breakfast was simple but was enough to get you going. At £13.00 a night this hostel was very reasonable.

Only slight negative was the hostels advertisement of an en-suite group rooms, in reality this means they have just put a shower in the corner of the room. However I never had any issues using one of the private bathrooms.

Great for Students looking for reasonable accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rory M
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Unfriendly and unpolite staff, dirty rooms and very unconfortable bunkbeds.
we were a group of friends used to stay in backpacking hostels and share rooms so we are usually not picky with details but this was really a bad experience. The room stank it was full of emty cans and bottles diring the whole stay, the staff was really unfriendly and the facilities were dirty (bathrooms, etc).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sara p
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The people working there were kind and helpful apart from everything else which was from poor to terrible.
The male receptionist even carried my friends' luggage upstairs without being asked to do so.
And the location is 2, 3 minutes away from the coach station.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends