“good hostel”

Birmingham Central Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“good hostel”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location, very near to coach and train stations and city center. Warm and comfortable room, friendly staff. Just two minor things: my bed was the upper part of a bunk bed and it squeaked a lot with the smallest movement. I didn't want to disturb the girl sleeping in the bed down so I ended up sleeping still as a statue. Also the shower I used didn't have hot water but cold-barely warm. But there were many of them so maybe I was unlucky to catch the only one that didn't work properly... A nice bonus was the basic continental breakfast included in the price (coffee-tea, toast, fruit). I will check them out again if in Birmingham.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived at this hostel yesterday and found the staff not at all helpful or friendly. I informed him that I had to get up early and leave early in the morning so asked if the door was closed & he said it doesn't matter as I was staying next door- not very helpful at all (as I am still able to access the other area!) The mattress was not at all comfy as I felt the springs sticking in me. It is good that there is a kitchen area to use to cook food (this is the best thing about the hostel!) Won't be staying here again!

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here as you won't get a comfy nights sleep!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

North Wales
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a mixed 6 bed dorm. It was in the building next to the main one. Had wifi access. Room was warm and quiet. Toilet facilities good. The main building with the bar and kitchen was nice, didn't spend long there but they offered a free breakfast there. Really good location in the centre, we could see the Selfridges building from our window.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank SLJ91
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have been visiting Birmingham since June 2011. I have stayed at Birmingham Central Backpackers 3 times in yunder 24 months. I really love arriving in Birmingham and having a nice bunk bed to sleep in and people to talk with.

Monday nights are Pizza Nights while Tuesday Nights have Soup.

Using the computer for an hour is a pound and wifi is free all round.

My cousin told me that the Birmingham Central Backpackers is a scam. Well hes a bloody liar, because things have changed since his visit to Birmingham in 2006. So if your visiting the UK stop wasting your time in LONDUMB and comes up to Birmingham for a melting pot of culture.

By the way if you want to move to UK you will save hundreds of pounds on rent by living in Birmingham instead of wasting rent money in Londoj

Room Tip: Bunk beds are plentyful
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Oamaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived rather late to this hostel so sadly didnt get a lot of time to enjoy the bar/communal area- which looked great. We checked into our 6 bed dorm and soon found it to be clean and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit outdated and the showerhead in the shower closest to the door needs fixed as it doesnt actually sit in its holder. Other than that really nice and helpful staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been traveling solo for a few months now, all around Europe and UK. But this hostel was the least impressive.
Its about a 10-15 min walk from the station, near a industrial type area. I got the the reception, the lady was lovely, very nice. Went to my dorm (a few metres down in a different building). All seemed fine for far, until the first night.
The mattress was horrible!!! The worst I have ever slept on - it felt like sleeping on a bag of springs. So uncomfortable, digging into my back and sides. I also thought it was strange that the bed was pre-made (Already had pillow case and sheets on, plus quilt cover, which didn't really seem crisp and fresh, I like to do these things myself as you know the bedding is clean) - After 2 nights here, I woke up with the worst conjunctivitis I have had in my life, half my face had swollen up 12 hours after I checked out. Now, i can only assume it was from the pillow case & bedding, which i'm assuming wasn't clean, so whoever had slept on it before me had infected it.
Breakfast was free, but underwhelming. Just toast, cordial and fruit. The wifi worked though, as did the showers.
I wont be staying here again. I went back to Birmingham a week late and made sure to not stay in this hostel ever again. If you do intend to stay here, please please request to put on your own clean bedding.

Room Tip: Please make sure your bedding is clean!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MilHope
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A great quirky little hostel, within 5 minutes walk from Birmingham New Street and in easy reach on the Bull Ring.

Clean and Tidy, simple things such as the Bath Mats were changed everyday show the level of care that the hostel takes.

The breakfast was simple but was enough to get you going. At £13.00 a night this hostel was very reasonable.

Only slight negative was the hostels advertisement of an en-suite group rooms, in reality this means they have just put a shower in the corner of the room. However I never had any issues using one of the private bathrooms.

Great for Students looking for reasonable accommodation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends