“Dim Sum”

Chung Ying Garden
Ranked #205 of 2,202 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$18 - US$74
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Chung Ying Garden is one of the largest and most popular Chinese Restaurant in the Midlands. Established since 1987Genuine Cantonese cuisine, recommended by most good food guidesWalking distances to: * "New Street” Railway station & City Centre * Hippodrome, Alexandra and Old Rep theatres * BullRing & MailBox (Iconic shopping) * Radisson Blu Hotel/Beetham Tower * Arcadian Centre (nightlife central) * Circus Casino & Oceana NightclubExtensive menu and vegetarian options. Children welcome
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Dim Sum”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Went for Dim Sum at Lunch time. This was a new experience for me but I have also eaten here a couple of times on Christmas Parties.

Enjoyed every dish which my half Chinese friend ordered (not sure I would be confident to have a go myself as menu is pretty extensive)

Good value fast and polite service and decent décor.

Enjoyed the experience and will go again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Food quality”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

wouldn't recommend this Chinese to anyone. Food was tasteless and cold and food took about hour and half to come. Awful meal!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jason03302013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Thought I was back in Kowloon for a minute!”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Extensive Dim Sum menu, served properly and in a friendly manner. My partner and I thought it was outstanding, and I look forward to our next visit to try something off the standard menu. I highly recommend the fried squid dim sum!

Visited December 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We used to be regulars at the restaurant over 20 years ago and recently returned for a meal. The food is great and very authentic. Several of the tables were occupied by Chinese families - always a good sign. There is the normal menu, but also a 'traditional' Chinese menu. The dim sum is also fantastic. Family friendly. Don't expect Michelin starred service, but the staff were very helpful and could not be faulted. We were delighted to see the Chung Ying Garden still serving good quality authentic Chinese food with good portion sizes.

Spain
“RDB”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My Wife & I visited last night after pondering where to go from the huge choice available in China Town.
The Chung Ying got our vote because I had been before and found everything of a good standard.

What a disaster.

The Soup took a while to arrive and was tasteless and gooey to the extent that my wife refused to eat it.

The Pancakes provide with the Crispy Duck appeared stale and the Birds Nest Lattice also appeared stale and nearly impossible to break up so we gave up trying to eat it.

The Waiters were not particularly attentive.

We were refunded the cost of the Birds Nest dish but this did nothing to mitigate our not having had a complete dinner.

In the past I have always scanned Trip Advisors Reviews and used that as a guide to selecting a restaurant but in this instance I didn't because I know that the quality of Food in the Birmingham Chinatown is usually very good.

Had I scanned Trip Advisor Reviews the latest review by Norman B would have certainly made my Wife and I avoid our experience of last night.

Therefore the Moral of this Review is, Use TAR's even if you know a Restaurant because things do change over a period of time and until TAR's indicate that the Chung Ying has changed its ways, DONT GO!

1 Thank Geordiesan