“HOME FROM HOME”

Ranked #16 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Plymouth
“HOME FROM HOME”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The wife and I stayed at the Gables Nest stayed just for the one night as we had tickets to see Fleetwood Mac at the LG Arena at the NEC on Sunday 29th September 2013.

We found the Guest House fairly easily, only overshooting once damn SatNav but easy to get back on track via the roundabout just up the road! After parking outside we were greeted by Marilyn who greeted us like old family which was lovely and explained, like a previous poster had mentioned, they had upgraded us to the large family room at the back due to ongoing road works. The room was clean, bright and spacious, en suite and also had tea and coffee making facilities.

We had previously been in touch with Marilyn via email so she had already given us information regarding buses and taxis however she was still kind enough to go through them again with us on arrival and also gave us directions to the two local public houses. The bus stop to the NEC is just across the road, ideal, and it cost us a grand total of £8.00 on the 900 Bus (Main Birmingham to Coventry bus) for the round trip to the NEC and back! We would fully recommend this as they run frequently and the queue at the taxi rank was rather long and would have probably cost us quadruple our bus fares!

Breakfast the next morning, a time arranged the night before, was lovely not too big and not too small, freshly cooked, with a nice rack of toast each. The bacon was lovely! Cereals were also available with fresh coffee and fruit juice. Marilyn sat chatting to us asking about the concert and general chit chat which was nice.

Lovely overnight stay in a guest house that actually makes you feel like part of the family and really welcome. Like I said to Marilyn on departure it was like visiting your favourite Grandma (No offence meant of course). If we go to the NEC again we will most certainly book here as home from home. In the immortal words of Arnold Schwarzenegger “I’ll be back” with my good lady of course!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
jarrow
Reviewed 29 September 2013

stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending NEC for exhibition, on arrival Marilyn gave me a great reception, she explained that there were road works on going at the front of the building but that she had upgraded me into twin room at the rear in order to try to reduce the noise,obviously she didn't have to do this, and certainly didn't ask for any more for the room
now then the room, I was very pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and level of comfort afforded here, lovely comfortable bed and nicely appointed en suite shower room
breakfast was great, full English with loads of toast, cereal, tea, coffee, juice etc
during my stay Marilyn introduced me to a couple from Australia who were attending the same exhibition, we had breakfast together on the two mornings and they very kindly offered me a lift to the NEC (and back!!) so if you are reading this steve and Vicky, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in the UK and Europe!!!

Room Tip: the single room here doesn't appear to be en-suite, but I could have got that wrong
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nice people, specialy Marilyn which prepares a very good english breakfast. I stayed in room number 4. A good room for 2 people with tv. Probably a larger dresser would be good. Wireless network. And that's it.

Room Tip: 4 a very good room for 2
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ValiCP
Brentwood
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was rather disappointing. The room was clean enough and the decor was fine but it was pretty small and cramped. Breakfast wasn't brilliant though I've had worse. In short it was ok but nothing special

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brentwood-person
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Run by a retired couple, Gables Nest is clean and comfortable, and provides a fine breakfast. Bathroom in the family room is charmingly decorated. It's a pleasure to converse with Marilyn, the lady of the house. A few small negatives: parking is very tight in front of the house, and getting back onto the Coventry Road requires caution. Beds were, in my daughters' opinions, a bit spongy. And while the location served us well on our trip to Gatwick, it is not very convenient to Birmingham's city center. However, if I were in the area, I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pentwater--summerjoy
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

This B & B was spotlessly clean and comfortable.My husband and I spent 2 nights here visiting the N E C .The landlady and her husband were so very helpful and friendly,the breakfast was brillant. We could not want for anything better and the price was excellent.We would most deffinetly stay here again if we are in the area

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BarrieandBrenda
Mind your own business
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Genuinely comfortable, pleasant and convenient little place. Spent £30 for my night here which included breakfast and that is a more than fair price. Lovely lady runs the place, charming building with everything you want from somewhere to stay away from home. My only regret is that my meeting extended to just the one day, such that I didn't have an excuse to spend another night.

If you need somewhere comfortable, friendly, personal and convenient, why pay twice the cash for a Travelodge which is none of these things, when you can stay here?

Room Tip: Room 5 has sloping ceilings, I'm 6 feet tall and didn't necessarily suffer, but true giants...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45
Travelodge Birmingham Yardley Hotel
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#42 of 117 in Birmingham
Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Sheldon
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Gables Nest? Share your experiences!