“Prime Lodge you should be ashamed.”
Review of Prime Lodge

Prime Lodge
Ranked #113 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Finding the car park for this place is quite difficult and takes you through a rather seedy residential area. You then arrive in the car park which is surrounded by metal security fencing and signs that cars are parked strictly at guests risk. What a tip. The door is locked and it is the type of entry you expect a a second rate tyre replacement garage. No obvious entry but another guest suggested the door bell. A few seconds later the door is opened by a chap in a leather jacket. I was taken through to reception and the similarity to the tryre garage continued.

I agreed with Late Rooms a price of £45 for a single room. I am sorry to say I assumed it included breakfast - it did not. I was required to pay up front and pay an extra £2 to pay by card. My remonstrations were quickly put down by an officious young lady. I was told to produce either a drivers licence or a passport. After confirming I was a British citizen and didn't require to produce either of these I had a key given to me and Mr Leather jacket took me to my room.

Very basic but for two stars it was as expected but not thre filth. Blood both in the bathroom and on my duvet cover. Dirt and filth everywhere in the bathroom coupled with the dodgy ballcockin the cistern which ran all night and the drain covered in filthy brown parcel tape.

I had a real concern about security and safety here and I am no chicken. This is a place where you have to look after yourself. Maybe at £25 plus breakfast some tough folk may feel they are getting value for money. This dump is apalling and to be avoided at all costs.

Photos to follow as |I am so annoyed that people can make money out of such a dive.

Room Tip: Under no circumstances should you go here. If you do get some security.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Boab64

Reviewed 11 December 2012

The hotel is clean and bed's comfortable. It is tired and dated it really could do with decorating but at £25 a night we can't complain. The location is only about 10 minutes drive from Birmingham city centre.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineK329
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I can safely say this is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. After eventually finding the place i arrived in the car park to be confronted by piles of rubbish, graffiti and used condoms fighting the urge to turn and run we tried to work out how to get in. The main entrance to the hotel was a solid fire door with no handle. We left the car in a multi story car park in town as it was more secure than the area the hotel was located in. The room was basic to say the least with a lovely arrangement of fag burns in the window frames and ledges but to be fair the rooms were at least clean. There was a party going on at the hotel so we had to wait for them to go out at midnight before being able to sleep and they returned at 6am to carry on partying at the hotel. We also decided not to risk eating there. In summary everything in all the one star reviews is true how this place hasn't burnt down or been shut down amazes me. More amazing is that it was full to capacity!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DMG186377
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stay here at your peril.
There are windows boarded up the car park is a disgrace & certainly not secure.
This takes basic to a whole new level.
Only suitable from tramps, dossers and 3rd rate women of the night (to be honest I think they would rather work on the pavement)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David H
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Well what an interesting weekend!!!! I thought I would take my partner to Birmingham, so booked NEC tickets and Prime Lodge!!! To start off with it was a nightmare to find, driving down the hill around the corner, I said "there it is". The front was disgusting, graffiti on the side, I thought oh no please dont tell me this is it. There was a sign saying "secured 24hr car park around the rear". On entering the carpark, there was a sign saying "cars parked at owners risk"!! with rubbish stacked up in the middle, definitely not secure!. My partner just described this as a recycling centre!!! As well as this, there were graffiti everywhere, it was disgusting. The windows out the back all had bars across them, was this to stop the theifs getting in or the guests getting out??

We sat in the car contemplating what do to. Our words to each other were "we are not staying here, to wake up in the morning with no car!!"

How do you find your way in? Well the entrance (at the back) was a fire door (no handle), with Reception over the top and a buzzer. On ringing the buzzer, a lady came to the door and invited me in. On entering the reception it was absolutely disgusting, dark, dingy, smelly and the white door behind the counter was foul. Thinking on my feet, I told the lady we could not stay, as we had been called back home. We did get charged £27, but rather pay that then spend a night in a grotty room, coming out in the morning with no car!

Seriously a homeless shelter is more appealing. This establishment should be CLOSED DOWN IMMEDIATELY by the Local Authorities. NEVER TO OPEN AGAIN. We as English people have set better standards than this.

Unfortunately I had to give this place a rating, but it was 10 times worse than Terrible. Looking at the reviews of here today 30+ terrible, surely the City Council should be loooking at this. I am going to complain to them aswell.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 1 October 2012

A group of 3 went for a night out in Birmingham, cheap accomodation no tfrills was what we were after.. And were not dissapointed! Not as bad as we were expecting after reading a few reviews; maybe they change the sheets for a Saturday night! Rooms were basic, TV, tea and coffee (didn't try that) and clean. Bed's also clean, though the plastic under the sheets never going to give a good nights sleep! We checked out the rooms before handing over our cash, and that was no problem.. Or surprise according to the man on reception!

It looks rough, bars on the windows, no handle from the car park and it's never going to win luxury awards.. But, its £6 in a cab from town and we had no problems. Don't go there if you are a family, expecting a romantic break or are planning on spending much time in the room! OK for what we were after though.

Room Tip: Check it out before you pay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank James W
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Youth hostels are so much cleaner!
On arrival we were greeted by an unwelcoming group of men offering to sell drugs outside the hotel entrance (fire door) which was very intimidating and frightening.
Then to walk through to reception were the ceiling was caving in, and the smell made me retch. To a dark enclosed room were we stood for half an hour waiting to shown to our room.
Eventually we were shown to our room were the ceiling, walls, skirting boards and carpet were covered in black mould, it was foul!
To top off the final experience my boyfriend walked into the bathroom were he slipt on a cracked floor tile and sliced his foot open! So we had to spend our remaining time in Birmingham in A & E !!!!

• Stayed: August 2012