“Staying Cool is Staying rip off rubbish”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 September 2011

With out a shadow of a doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in. DO NOT GO HERE.
They managed to cock up my booking and I ended up sleeping on a camp bed under a towel for two nights as the staff were incapable of finding a duvet. And for this I was charged over £200 per night. They also fail to mention that the rest of the block is student halls of residence with the associated detritus. And as a lone female traveller the lifts late at night with an assortment of students was an intimidating experience. Bare in mind this cost more than Claridgesand all to sleep under a towel on a camp bed. When I complained the staff were uninterested. You have be warned

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank annedwards000
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear Ann

Thanks for posting the review of your stay in February.

My team and I are all extremely sorry about the problem you experienced with the duvet.

You booked a Mini apartment online (a studio apartment with one king size bed) via our website for five nights. The housekeeping team hadn’t picked up your order for a camp bed as you had only made a provisional request and it hadn’t translated into a confirmed order (we have since changed the booking system so that provisional items are always picked up) therefore the camp bed wasn’t ready and set up in your apartment. To compound matters, our spare duvet had been taken away accidently by our linen company so we were without a duvet for the camp bed and it was too late in the day on your first night to get a replacement. We always try to learn from our mistakes and we now have five spare duvets which are kept in a different part of the store room from the rest of the linen so that same issue has not/cannot arise again.

On your second day we confirmed that you would not be charged the hire fee for the camp bed and we also put a bottle of champagne in your fridge while you were out as an apology. With hindsight we all wish we had just gone out first thing in the morning and bought a duvet but we really like our brand of duvets and we waited for the linen company to return it later that day. We brought the duvet upstairs to you as soon as it arrived but you didn’t answer our knocks and we didn’t want to enter your room in case you were working/asleep as we believed you were in. We also left numerous voicemails on your phone and emailed you but did not get a reply. We therefore left the duvet at reception for you.

Our Apart Hotel is on the top three floors of Rotunda and the floors below are all residential. I agree that there is a biais towards younger folk in the building but it most certainly isn’t a student hall of residence. Indeed the Lead Ballerina at Birmingham Ballet, the Lead Conductor of the Symphony Orchestra and the Chief Executive of Birmingham Forward have lived or do live here. I stay once a week, more often than not on my own, and feel extremely safe throughout the building. We have lots of regular lone female guests who love staying here each time they are in Birmingham on business.

I’m very, very sorry about the duvet incident. That really should not have happened and we have certainly learnt from our mistake. I can only reassure you that we really do all care about our guests.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

I found this place after arriving in Birmingham with a flat smartphone and a flat laptop so was unable to check anything. I walked out of New st station in the rain with my big backpack steadily getting wet and walked in and inquired about a room for the night. I am so glad I did.

Firstly my room was a nice size ( literally a studio apartment) on the 19th floor with very impressive views of the city centre of Birmingham.

Secondly it was very well equipped - it had a mac mini and flat screen TV, a full kitchen with cooking equipment and a laundry with a washer/dryer and ironing board etc.After two weeks on the road I really needed the last part so it was a very welcome touch.
All things were provided - even a bag of oranges to make juice with. tea coffee and some really delicious fairtrade hot chocolate sachets ( sorry the last of them left the room with me) rounded out the deal.
The wifi was good and fast.
The next day so impressed with the rotunda I decided to extend my stay and was little worried they may not have rooms for me. They didn't but made phone calls to another guest and upgraded them to allow me to stay the extra night.
I won't say what I paid but it was only double figures per night and for what I got it represented extremely good value.
New St station is two minutes walk away
The bull ring is 30 seconds
The other shopping around there is 30 seconds away.
there is a Tesco less than two minutes amble up the mall to the left of the entrance or the cafe rouge does an okay breakfast.

I will stay at the rotunda again if I am in Birmingham again. I can guarantee that
sorry the photos are fairly rubbish but you get the idea.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Hello microsizzle

We were delighted you stumbled upon us as well. Thanks for the great review and I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Do look us up next time you are in town.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We booked here on the strength of tripadvisor reviews and we found the building easily enough. It's really not that hard to spot a 20 floor giant, round, glass building so I am not quite sure why some had issues finding it! Great location, turn left you are in the High Street, turn right you are in the Bullring. Plenty of places to eat and drink and shop all right on the doorstep and it is less than 5 minutes from the New Street railway station.

We booked for 3 nights, to attend a concert and to do some shopping. We were checked in by the very friendly and helpful Keisha, who I had also spoken to to book our Mini apartment. It was on the 19th floor with great views over the Bullring, Edgbaston and further afield. We were most impressed by the design of the apartment, it cannot be easy to cram all the facilities into a room shaped like a Trivial Pursuits wedge but some clever person designed it very well. A comfortable double bed, table and funky chairs, kitchen with oven, toaster, juicer (with fresh oranges), coffee machine, dishwasher and all cutlery, plates and utensils provided. The gadgets were fantastic too, two televisions, mini mac, i-Pod dock to name but a few. There is a washer/drier conveniently hidden away in a cupboard, a good-sized wardrobe and the shower room/toilet was small but functional and we quite enjoyed counting all the different herbs and fruits they had managed to include in their toiletry range!

If you are staying in Birmingham for more than a few days then I would recommend this place. This is not a negative but an observation, if you prefer hotels then do note that this is a serviced apartment. You can order packs of beer or bottles of wine to be put in your room but there is no bar, restaurant, gym or breakfast. Reception and in-room literature provide ample information and recommendations on where to eat and drink. Also, if you are not a fan of modern decor, bright colours or funky design then maybe this is not the place for you. Trust me though, you will not get more facilities or a better view for this price in Birmingam. We've stayed at the Hyatt, Copthorne and others and this wins hands down.

We absolutely loved Staying Cool at the Rotunda and will book again on our next trip to Birmingham.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2011

Hello cassthelass

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Mini apartment which I'm sure other Tripadvisor readers will find very helpful indeed. I can tell that you made good use of all the facilities which is great. We do have an agreement with a gym just 100m away which we mustn't have made clear to you on check-in (apologies) and from this week we are introducing complimentary breakfast cereals for all guests to go with the tea/coffee/hot chocolate and oranges for the juicer that are already provided. Plus we are expanding our (paid) organic breakfast menu in October.

Thanks again for the glowing review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed for one night at the end of August for our first wedding anniversary and would love to go back again for longer at some point! Everything worked out perfectly, bar the batteries in the Mac Mini's keyboard/mouse which seemed to be nearly empty. Not that it mattered, since we were only trying to use them to find restaurants nearby and the list in the info folder was more than sufficient in the end! Had we mentioned it earlier they would have been replaced in any case. We spent the evening just watching it get dark over Birmingham and chatting - lovely!

Especially liked that you're right in the centre of the city but so high up that you don't get disturbed by any noise. The lounge was very spacious and everything was spotlessly clean. And the staff were very friendly too, they were happy to look after our suitcases after check out so we could go shopping unencumbered in the Bullring next door!

Hello Dashdot

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary - we were delighted you chose to spend it with us. Quite a few guests intend dining out but when they arrive they opt to stay in and cook or have food delivered because the view is so mesmerizing. If you do come back for longer, try an apartment on the other side of the building for a different panorama. Thank you very much for the lovely review and hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed in an apartment on the 19th Floor as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. We had the most amazing views over Birmingham and my boyfriend could not get over how amazing the room and the views were.
LOVED the touches like the mini mac, flat screen and the bed was very comfortable.
We did have a problem however with the IPOD doc, it didnt play any sound when we put our i phone in. Also, we were not given any breakfast cereal or oranges and were told that as it was the weekend, they had run out!
Would 100% recommend though and will definately be visiting again.
THE ONLY PLACE TO STAY IN BIRMINGHAM

1  Thank miss f

Hello miss f

I am very sorry about the lack of cereals and oranges. We had a lot more guests staying that weekend than we anticipated but we should never, ever run out of anything. We have since put a back-up plan in place to ensure it doesn't happen again. Similarly, we have replaced the iPod dock with the sound problem. This week we are introducing complimentary cereals in all our apartments (4* as well as 5*). Finally, thank you for taking the time to write such a rave review despite the two issues you experienced.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Rotunda Birmingham City Centre 19th Floor is AMAZING!
We only live 10 miles from Bham yet I saw Bham with new eyes.
The apartments are just jaw droppingly good - we loved every minute.
The view is spectacular. Loved the little touches like APPLE TV, fresh oranges for the juicer and the quality of the fixtures and fittings.
We walked to the Arcadian for drinks and had a meal in china town area.
A truly fab weekend

1  Thank 43Conifer

Hello 43Conifer

We were delighted to read your review. More and more local people are staying at weekends which is great. if you come to stay again, do try an apartment on the opposite side of the building so you get a different view.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed in a mini apartment which we loved. The 18th floor views are amazing and the apartment is brilliantly kitted out. Location is fantastic. There were a couple of issues with our stay - Mac mini not working, which was reported to reception but not fixed. Overall a great place to stay and would do so again.

• Stayed: August 2011
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Hello sw12_matt

Thanks for posting the review. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us but obviously concerned that you reported the Mac Mini to be not working but it was not dealt with. I'm really sorry that this happened during your stay. I asked Kim, our Birmingham manager, to check all our Mac Minis on level 18 this morning and all are working fine so I'm not sure what went wrong and I can't shed any more light on the situation without more information. Perhaps you could contact us directly? Meanwhile, please accept our apologies once again that this marred your stay and thanks for the positive recommendation despite the Mac Mini situation.