Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Marriott Hotels
US$122
US$112
  • Room Service
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$180
US$158
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$108
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,025 results
All reviewsthe penthousesky tvmini apartmentfloor to ceiling windowsmilk in the fridgeclubman apartmenticonic buildingelectric juicerespresso machineipod dockbull ringmemory foamliving areathese apartmentsserviced apartmentlovely apartmentlittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have stayed at the Rotunda twice now and have found it to be the best place to stay in Birmingham.

The place is very welcoming, the staff are extremely helpful and cannot do enough for you.

The apartments are very modern, clean and have excellent touches like fresh milk, coffee machine with beautiful coffee, tea, sugar, hot chocolate and my favorite of all was the oranges in the fridge ready for juicing (obviously with the juicer they offer.)

When they say "Central" they mean central, you can't get anymore central than Staying Cool at the Rotunda - you're within walking distance to pubs, bars, shops and restaurants and if you're not sure how to get to any of them the guys on the desk will point you in the right direction!!!

The apartments are right at the top of the Rotunda so if you haven't got the energy to go out you can have a nice glass of champagne, maybe cook some food in the full equipped kitchen and watch the world go by out the floor to ceiling windows, truly amazing!

The king-size beds are memory foam, possibly the comfiest beds you will ever sleep in.

Overall the Rotunda has got to be the best place to stay in Birmingham and I would highly recommend it.

I'm hoping to visit again Christmas time and can't wait to see the city alight from the top with Staying Cool looking after me!

Room Tip: Penthouse has an amazing wrap around balcony you can walk out onto!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Hello Sdallison D

Thanks for the wonderful write up. Yes champagne on a Penthouse balcony is a great treat. Until next Christmas then!

Best wishes
Tracey

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Where to begin - great building, location and easy to find, check in efficient and friendly, found the discount card incentive useful for dining out, but even to cook in was a treat. Checked in to a clean crisp and well maintained apartment, the views were to die for. 24hr safe access meant no hassle or trouble found in city hotels. The bed was comfortable and the impressive bathroom was pleasing. The sky tv with channels from home meant I was not restricited to certain channels. Quiet, relaxing ambient to carry on and do some work and entertain a few guests in the evening. Shall return and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank you !!!

Room Tip: All rooms are pleasant
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danny P
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed at Staying Cool for one night last week and had the most amazing experience! Parking was a bit of a nightmare but we didnt have to pay so cant really complain about the short distance we had to walk!
Upon arriving the staff were quick and informative and we didnt have to hang around before going to our room.
Reaching our room for the night on the 19th floor, we opened the door and were instantly amazed at the views! Breathtaking, amazing and the whole apartment was finished to a very high standard!
The choice of toiletries were like that of a spa! Everything was perfect

The only issue was we had to leave the next day! We would have loved to stay much longer! Would recommend this place to anybody! It showed me a new, funky side to Birmingham that I didnt know existed

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2011

When I first arrived at the Ratunda, the receptionist informed me that my room would be one of the newest apartments in the building.
The living room at the Ratunda: TV there was no signal on the TV/Sky and neither picture for the Television. The only view I managed to find was on the Tv screen, was of the entry door security camera, screening residence as they came in and departed the building???
They had a very, very small ikea sofa and table chairs.
Bedroom:The bedside lamp was not working: When I questioned this with the reception desk, they said that the electrics where not working properly because of the apartment being so new. Both sockets were Infact working as I tested both sockets for my laptop and mobile phone so, It was the bedside lamp that either had a blown bulb or broken and something that apparently could not be fixed. The hotel Bed: Very Comfortable bed nice pillows. Plenty of closet space with iron board and Iron and hairdryer to use.
The bathroom: The toilet was not clean, neither the shower, I had to go downstairs to reception and ask for somebody to come and clean the shower head as it had black mould crusted over the the head also Soap from the previous person still remained on the shower handles bathroom sink dirty.
View from the 18th floor: Very nice apart from the disgusting seagull poop or pigeon poop splashed down one of the windows.
Kitchen:Nice enough to want to cook.
The Ratunda informed us that they had made a mistake with the bookings as they over booked and instead of being booked for 3 nights we had to find another hotel after 2 nights, unprofessional and inconvenient.
If you have any questions make sure you ask them before 11pm at night as after 11pm you only have a telephone number to call in regards to questions relating to your apartment.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank meme7777
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I have just returned from Staying Cool, and like others certainly enjoyed my three night stay. I was in the 20th floor penthouse (which is two bedrooms off a central lounge). The views are fantastic, and the decor and furnishings are very good...but a few issues;

Parking is a discounted rate at the Bullring, a good treck (with bags) from the hotel. Finding it on a wet Sunday night was also a bit if a challenge having survived Birmingham's ring road and roundabouts!

That said, the woman at check-in, once I had schlepped across the shopping centre, was very friendly and super-helpful.

Once the amazing view gets boring, you do start to notice one or two housekeeping issues; the trendy sofa's are amazing uncomfortable and there are no proper chairs if you want to work for a few hours - just plastic things.

There was an old pair of socks in one of the cupboards and old plates in the washing machine that didn't appear to work.

The sinks in the bathroom took half an hour to drain away properly, despite removing the plug and there is a fair amount of wear and tear around the floors, appliances and decor.

Using the internet up on the 20th floor was deeply frustrating, and kept dropping. So much so I had to go and buy a dongle to use.

The other issue that really began to grate was the noise. Even with all the windows firmly closed there is a constant sound of wind up on the 20th, only drowned out by the trains going in and out of New Street Station below.

BUT...in fairness, there is also a lot right here - the price, the location, the space, the design, the fantastic full Sky TV service, the Mini Mac, and the beds were very comfortable. The green commitment too, by not having air conditioning and refilling bottles of soaps is also an excellent touch.

So, so much right here and just a little bit of investment in windows that seal, good internet and better housekeeping would make this place the ONLY place to stay in Birmingham.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank milesw
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Hello milesw

Thanks for writing the review. I am very sorry that you experienced a few, avoidable issues. I can tell that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay but think we need to improve on a few things.

Firstly, parking. You're right, the Bullring car park is a few minutes walk away and isn't ideal if you are carrying heavy suitcases. Guests can actually pull up at the back of the building and drop off their cases there and then go and park. Similarly, we also have a limited number of spaces underneath the building which we don't promote enough. We have today improved the information we send out about car parking to help future guests.

We are carrying out numerous scheduled repair works in your penthouse apartment this week which should address the wear and tear. I just wish you had mentioned the drainage and other issues during your stay as we could easily have rectified them while you were out.

We invested in a new wifi system a few months ago and it seems to be working very well indeed. Most guests comment on how fast it is. In view of the issues you experienced we are asking our internet company to spend a night on level 20 this week to check it out to make sure there isn't a night time issue as everything works fine during the day for us.

There was a problem with one of your windows which we discovered on check-out that has now been fixed. If there are high winds then the top floor can get noisy (it doesn't affect the other floors, only level 20). The good news is that it isn’t that windy that often.

The comfort or not of the furniture is more difficult to answer because it is subjective - some of us like high backed and deep filled seat cushions while others like low backed, slim seat cushions. The desk chairs are the classic 1960s Robin Day chairs that have been brought up to date by Lou Rota's 'Art on Legs' series. We have many repeat penthouse guests so hopefully most people like the furniture. I’m delighted that you thought the beds were very comfortable.

We do aim to provide the best place to stay in the city and I can tell that you are batting for us. We always take on board feedback and try to make improvements where we can, so thanks very much for taking the time to review us and hopefully next time you will have that perfect stay with us.

Best wishes