“So different than all the others in Birmingham......”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“So different than all the others in Birmingham......”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Had a few nights here since last year..... I would recommend a stay here.....When you ring the peeps up at the rotunda they offer you a fab deal and they got their pricing right.....
Location excellent right in the Bullring..... The main entrance door is opposite H & M, Next and Waterstones...... On arrival the day and night staff very friendly and are happy to answer any questions... Up in the lift to the rooms and the rooms are simple in layout but so effective and work well.... Everything you need is within the spaces.... Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom all well stocked plus a washing machine with dryer in the cuoboard ideal for the longer stays.... In the kitchen on my first visit there were numerous oranges i didn't realise the trendy juicer on the surface :) give them a squeeze the juice is delicious as I did on my visits thereafter..... Plus the coffee maker simple instructions they got it all spot on.....
The thing that sells the rooms is the view it's Ab Fab..... Standing 19 floors plus up its amazing even for birmingham gives you such a different angle on the city.... The sliding doors i have to say you get a lovely breeze and the noisy hustle and bustle noise but when closed complete silence......
I would recommend staying there especially in December as you have the view, the lights and the shopping and you can keeo popping back and filling the room up what more could you ask for?????
The security to the building is so safe and the night security guard a very helpful chap......
New street station 2 minute walk to the right of the building ideal for the business traveller in the heart of the city.....
The only tip is to turn the hot water heater switch on at intervals and you'll have constant hot water.... The television seemed a bit small for the room but to each tastes really on that... There are iPod dock and DVD player and wifi available.....
Otherwise fab place to stay.... I will have many more enjoyable stays to come thanks to the rotunda :) .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here in October 2011 as we were going to a gig at The HMV Institute. Our room was immaculate and we couldn't believe the value for money that we got! The view over the city was surprisingly beautiful and the room included an IPad/IPhone dock which was wirelessly connected to speakers. The Kitchen was also well stocked with fresh oranges ready for juicing in the morning. The bed was very comfortable and we didn't experience any intrusive outside noise over the night and would recommend this fantastic hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beckyx
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Hello Beckyx

Many thanks for posting your review. The beds, coupled with the fantastic sound proofing, make for a great night's sleep in the clouds indeed!

Hopefully we will see you again when you go to your next gig.

Best wishes
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed in one of the Clubman apartments, which is on the 19th floor of the rotunda. When I checked in with my wife, it was one of the first sunny weekends of 2012.

I guess my first impressions was that you get an awful lot of space and facilities for your money. My second is that the decor is indeed 'cool'. Third is, wow - look at the view!

Our apartment faced out on the New Street Station side. Even though I'm no trainspotter (for trains, anyway!), I loved standing there, looking down at the intercities rattling into the station, and the proverbial ants nest of shoppers and workers scurrying in an out of the Bull Ring.

Given the great weather, at any excuse I would throw open the big sliding doors and really get a sense of drama. The 19th floor gets you well clear of any loud sounds though - and once the doors are shut, it is blissfully quiet.

Location wise, It was perfect for us. I could tag along after my wife in the retail mayhem that is the Bull Ring, and when it got too much, know that I could speed skywards in the Rotunda lift, and rise above the chaos. Getting there by train is too easy, out the station and there is the Rotunda on the doorstep.

I felt supremely guilty for not going all Masterchef in the apartment - the kitchen area is well stocked and has all the gizmos. A great coffee machine that I am going to track down and buy, and a pile of oranges in the fridge ready for the juicer. Although you walk past an M&S as you go through the station, ask the guys for a bottle of chilled wine ready in the apartment - on arrival, you'll want to toast each other for being smart, and then spend a few hours feeling like the gods on Mt Olympus, sipping wine and watching the mortals hurry about their business.

Beds are very comfy, and all the furniture is a pleasure to look at. Settle into the specially commissioned chair and read about the history of the Rotunda (a listed building) and also how the Staying Cool people have set about bringing it all together.

So overall, highly recommended. The staff were very helpful in the run up to our stay, then discreet but on-hand once you are there. My only issue is that I wonder how we will be on a regular hotel break next time - Hmm, time to check out those other Staying Cool locations!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt D
Hello Matt D

Greetings from Mt Olympus! Many thanks for posting such a great and detailed review of your stay in a Clubman which I'm sure future guests will find really useful. We all really enjoyed reading it and our Guest Relations team were very pleased to read your line about how helpful but discreet they are (which is exactly what we strive for).

If you need any information about the coffee machine to use at home then do drop us a line - we would be delighted to help.

Thanks again and hopefully we will see you sometime very soon.

Best wishes
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

I'd racked my mind for something a bit special for my wedding night and only considered the rotunda when spotted it on trip advisor. It hadn't even crossed my mind before when I'd been looking at expensive birmingham suites. Great choice. For the price it was excellent in comparison and the management were great for giving me a cheeky upgrade to the penthouse in light of the circumstance. Their communication was excellent too. Great views in the apartment and great facilities overall including a fully equipped kitchen which meant I could make the new wife break fast and fresh orange juice (with the complimentary oranges)
Overall they were very accommodating and we had a very relaxed time there with no pressure to check out bright and early like you can get in many hotels. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank P4DDY
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Hello and many congratulations!

Thank you for choosing Staying Cool for such an important occasion and also for your lovely review. We’re so pleased that you enjoyed your special night with us.

Keep up the good breakfast in bed work. Wishing you many years of happiness.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a superb aparthotel!!

I cannot fault this at all. Location is perfect, opposite the bullring and two minutes from New Street Station. It is also a pleasant walk from the ICC.

The apartment is very well apportioned and very comfortable and I love the views from the room.

I cannot wait to visit again.

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lancellot,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. It was wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

These serviced apartments are in the iconic Rotunda, right next to the Bullring shopping centre. The rooms are good with great views over the city. The windows are a little tricky to open and it can be surprisingly windy up on the 19th floor. We had a mini apartment which was fine for 2 people for up to a week I would have thought. It needed a bit of tlc, but was due to be refurbished this month.

The rooms come with oranges for juicing as well as tea and coffee. I paid extra for breakfast, but probably wouldn't bother again as I ended up going to a little Tesco to buy soft drinks.

The staff were good in all the contact I had with them. You get the impression that they genuinely care about the guest experience.

• Stayed April 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for your comments. We try to treat guests as we like to be treated ourselves - as individuals - and we're glad that showed during your stay.

I am so glad that you were made aware of the refurbishment programme. We are about halfway through it now.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Recently stayed for one night in the Mini apartment as part of a 24 hour visit to see a gig. As a fan of apartments for such stays, this definitely beats some other experiences we have in London and Manchester! The location suited us - just 5 minutes from places to eat, parking, supermarket (for essentials) and venue we were heading to. The apartment was comfortable, had everything we needed and excellent friendly welcome/service. All our (minor queries/issues) were attended to efficiently and with geninue consideration/concern.

After a particulary stressful trip in the driving rain (which took longer than expected) we arrived frazzled and not wanting to venture very far. This didn't matter as the 19th floor apartment provided stunning views with immediate home comforts - we relaxed within minutes of arriving! We enjoyed looking at the book about the history of the Routanda building which made us understand the importance of the iconic landmark for Birmingham.

Everything from the fresh coffee to large towels made this stay one to remember and definitely lived up the website description. We hope our favourite bands play again in Birmingham and we can book again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Albert01186411
Hello Albert,

Thank you for reviewing us. It's good to hear that you had a great time despite arriving in such appalling weather!

We find the Rotunda endlessly fascinating and we're glad that the history of the building appealed to you too.

We hope to welcome you back soon.