“Excellent night!”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Booked a night here as a late birthday present for my girlfriend, and as she enjoys Birmingham for shopping looked around at various hotels and found Staying Cool.

We booked the Clubman Cabriolet, but upon arrival found out we got a free upgrade to the Penthouse, which was a very nice suprise. The accommodation was excellent and spacious, with 2 big bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, and a spacious living area. There was a large wrap around balcony too, which gave a good view, but was fairly windy so didn't want to sit out too long on it. I had ordered a few extras like a bottle of champagne and so fruit and yogurt that was all waiting for us upon arrival.

The service we received was outstanding. After making the booking through the website a few months prior, I received a personal e-mail discussing my stay and reasons for it and such, that I thought was a great touch, rather than just a generic booking received computer response. While we were there the staff on reception were very friendly and accommodating and you felt that if there were any issues (which there wernt) they would have dealt with them perfectly.

Although it is certainly not a place to stay on a budget, for a special treat i would say the place is fantastic and thoroughly recommend a night here to anyone.

Room Tip: If your scared of heights, avoid the penthouse balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
TraceyStayingCool, Guest Relations Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Hi David,

We are so happy we were able to surprise you both with an upgrade on check-in. We were hoping you could have enjoyed your Champagne on the balcony but unfortunately the weather wasn't what it should have been in July. Nevertheless, I hear from my colleagues that you had a fantastic time shopping in the Bull Ring and a great night in.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and you found the service you received to be outstanding. We would love to see you again for the next special treat and your recommendation is most appreciated.

Simon Russell

Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

Having read the reviews about this place I was quiet nervous about paying the price for staying here, however upon arrival my doubts slowly began to swim away.

The location is perfect with everything so close by stone steps away, I was welcomed pleasantly upon check in by staff where I was checked in efficiently n pleasantly. I had booked the penthouse suite and with out a doubt was completely washed away with any doubts at all! The suite was clean, immaculate and has everything you need for a relaxing break away, complete with a beautiful city view.

It was great value for money, money well spent as you have everything you need from the little things such as toiletries to the finer things such as comfort, the rooms are perfect in size, probably not to keen on the art decor, but I guess we can't all be picky. I was missing a few things here and there in the room which was rectified straight away by staff, without any calls for concern. I questioned staff about places to eat and drink and they seem very precise on terms of knowledge regarding great places to eat! With so much selection and choice being in the centre of Birmingham it's great to have; not just reccommendations but to be advised of the great places to try too, I was even advised what cocktails to try, the staff are ever so friendly and contributed to my stay being enjoyable.

All in all it all boils down to personal taste, and if your looking for a city break, or even just some privacy to get some work done, I have highly recommend this place to friends; regardless of whether the purpose is for leisure or even just for some privacy, that top floor is a great get away, a pleasant stay and would certainly be returning to try out the other apartments. I certainly got my money's worth!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Bluestar05,

We are so glad you found that one of our Penthouses is the ideal place to get away and get some work done.

It was a delight to read that you had such a good time during your stay and that the team were able to recommend not only somewhere to go but something to drink too. We love the city as much as you seem to have and we are always researching local restaurants and watering holes.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Simon Russell
Guest Relations

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Stayed one night in a 'mini' room on a business trip to Birmingham.
+ great location right beside the (huge) Bullring shopping centre
+ discount on carpark at the Bullring, so convenient I never needed to drive anywhere
+ interesting building and great views (I was on the 18th floor)
+ quiet - I had a great view of the train station (18 floors below) but it did not impact my sleep.
+ Bed was comfy & bathroom was modern

- I found a previous guest's moulding dinner in the microwave!!! Yes, a full plate of soggy dinner in the microwave. I've never seen anything like this in all my years of travelling. yuk!!!
- TV in bedroom did not work
- Keyboard on the computer did not work
- The room needs a 'freshen up' - paintwork is tired-looking, like the room has been well used.
- There is free wifi in the room but it was patchy, even in the room, I lost signal when I moved to the couch. It's a very weak signal. Good enough for email but not for skype video.

I reported the mouldy dinner and broken TV issues to the desk in the morning when I was leaving because I discovered them only when I was going to bed. She said she would 'have a word with housekeeping'.

I wouldn't rule it out for a future stay - but I wouldn't rush back either...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Siobhan K
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Siobhan

We are really sorry to hear that you experienced some problems during your stay. First of all, we are midway through an extensive maintenance programme across all of our apartments, and after reading your review, I have escalated your apartment to the top of the list for redecoration.

With regards to the food you found in the microwave, I can only apologise – this is totally unacceptable. Indeed our Housekeeping Supervisor and Housekeeping Team member have asked me to pass on their apologies too. We have just introduced a new housekeeping system which I know will work incredibly well in the long term but we have had a few teething problems during the switchover – this being one of them. I’m only sorry that we didn’t pick up the microwave issue ahead of your stay.

We are aware that the signal to the TVs in the Mini bedrooms is not the best. We have had many engineers out to investigate and we cannot find a good enough solution so we are removing the sets during our maintenance programme and beefing up the main set in the lounge area (which works perfectly) instead.

Since reading your review, we have rechecked the wi-fi issue in your apartment. The signal was strong and worked throughout. We invested in a new wifi system a few months ago so that guests can Skype and watch TV (free of charge) online and it generally works like a dream. For the benefit of future guests reading this review, on the off chance that you experience any similar problems then do let us know as soon as possible so we can switch you to the backup network or come up and help you get online.

The keyboard did need new batteries, which we have replaced. We routinely change them every four months but from time to time you get rogue ones that expire early and we keep replacements at Reception for just these occasions.

On the plus side, we are glad to hear you slept well and enjoyed the views. We take all feedback very seriously and I’m sorry if this didn’t come across when you checked out. We had a very long conversation with housekeeping as a result and further amended our check list.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review as it allows us to hone and improve our service. We hope you will consider returning to stay with us again when we will make you most welcome.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Had a fantastic night on the 19th floor of the rotunda. Stunning views of Birmingham. Beautifully appointed, well equipt and v clean apartment. Stylish fittings and a v comfortable bed. Bathroom five star with wonderful toiletries. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012

Hello Rich1707

Many thanks for posting such a lovely review and picture of your Mini apartment. We were all delighted you had a fantastic stay with us. I love the toiletries too!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Fantastic views in an iconic building. Location next to the Bull Ring. Everything we needed in the apartment and staff very friendly.

Hi Travellog505

It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay in the iconic Rotunda. As you say, the location is very handy for a shop-til- you-drop experience and our team are wonderfully friendly and helpful.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Our wedding night and we were delighted to find we were upgraded from a Clubman to a Maxi. Adored the big opening windows, the comfy bed, the big bath, the juicing machine and the coffee machine. Loved the central location and the close proximity to the Bullring. Reception staff very welcoming and helpful. I'm old enough to remember the Rotunda being built, so I found it quite interesting staying there. The carpet and dining chairs were past their best, but the management advise me that this is to be addressed in August of this year. My only grumble is that the maid came into our room whilst we were out breakfasting and shopping, so that we came back fifteen minutes before check-out for a final look at the views to find the place in disarray and our luggage moved. Felt cheated out of fifteen minutes of our stay. Hope to return for our first anniversary in 2013.

Room Tip: I would imagine the higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Varosha

Congratulations on your recent marriage! It's always nice to be able to upgrade guests but especially on such a momentous occasion. We were all thrilled that you loved your stay and enjoyed the little touches and complimentary extras in your apartment.

I'm really sorry about the maid entering your apartment ahead of your check out and denying you of your last 15 minutes in there together to enjoy the view. It seems there were crossed wires between Housekeeping and Guest Relations and everyone involved has asked me to apologise profusely. When you come to stay next time, we will make it up to you. Apologies again.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Location - Perfect, right in the heart of the city centre and 2 mins walk from New Street station.
Sound-Proofing - Unrivalled. Once the windows were closed, you could not hear a single sound from the hustle and bustle below. When we arrived at our apartment we could hear the neighbours having some kind of wild party and thought 'oh no!' but once we stepped foot inside, we couldn't hear a thing - I've never had that in any other hotel before! Incredible!
Views - Awesome, really helped me to see Birmingham in a whole new light!
Decor - Very modern, chic and minimalistic - very cool!
Utilities - Fabulous. The hair-dryer was excellent (usually hit and miss in most hotels) and they supplied fresh oranges and a juicer - such a lovely touch! The bed was super comfy too, slept like a baby!
Staff - So warm, friendly and welcoming. We had the pleasure to meet Gavin, David and a lady who's name I didn't catch, but all were a credit to the hotel!
Had a brilliant time in Birmingham, but would happily have spent all my time in the hotel! Would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Birmingham! :-)

Room Tip: We stayed on the 19th floor - was fabulous!

Hi Zoe

Thank you for posting such a glowing and detailed review of your stay. The view from your apartment over New Street Station and the Mailbox is indeed awesome - especially at night.

The team (especially Gavin and Danny) are very pleased to hear that you felt so welcome.

We love the Ultimate mattress as much as you do! We have negotiated a special rate with the manufacturer for our guests so do get in touch if you would like details.

It was great to read about how good the sound proofing is and that you couldn't hear any noise from your lively neighbours.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Maybe you could try an apartment overlooking the Bullring for a different view?