“A Hip Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Marlborough, England, United Kingdom
“A Hip Hotel”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We took a studio room here on a business trip to Birmingham. The style of the room was white, clean and minimal, which we like. These are Apartments not hotel rooms. There are a few bits to get you started in the kitchen like milk and fresh fruit.
We liked it so much that when we secured long term contracts un Birmingham, we rented a Penthouse apartment which was a great home away from home during the week, but our Cat hated it (no garden!).

Room Tip: No room service as not hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
StayingCool_Rotunda, Guest Relations Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed the little extras we provide (to clarify for any future guests- fresh fruit is part of many of our delicious breakfast packages).

We will have to overlook the fact your cat comment, pets aren't permitted in our apartments. It would be fantastic to see the rest of your family again though.

Best Wishes,
Simon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Once again a brilliant stay at the Rotunda, everything spot on as always. Staff helpful and very friendly, will be back soon. This is the third time we have stayed here and we are are very happy with the experience. the views over Birmingham are brilliant. Thanks once again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
StayingCool_Rotunda, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Hello Railman123

We are delighted that you have had three great stays with us now (I do hope you are taking advantage of your returning discount!).

I will pass on your lovely comments to the team here who do a tremendous job.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We booked a penthouse suite on laterooms.com and were extremely glad that we had not paid the full price for our suite.
The arm chair in the sitting room was filthy and none of the rooms had been hoovered before we arrived. The carpet inside the doorway from the bathroom to the bedroom was soaking wet and also was curling up in the middle of the doorway. The bathrobes were dirty, someone's makeup stains around the neck and what looked like purple nail varnish also stained. The tv in the bedroom did not work and a number of light bulbs also needed to be replaced.
The photos of the penthouse online show a balcony, we were disappointed that we did not have one. I really feel that we should have been advised of this at time of booking as the photos are misleading.
The view is spectacular and the man on the desk who checked us in could not have been friendlier.
We expected much better overall from our stay here. Will be trying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily_P186376
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Hello Emily_P186376

We are extremely disheartened to hear that you found your stay with us disappointing.

We are not quite sure what happened with your booking via Laterooms as we would always put guests into the apartment that they have specifically booked, which in this case sounds like a two bed Maxi. We don't have a booking in the name of Emily via Laterooms on our system so if you could get in touch directly with us that would be very much appreciated, so we can get to the bottom of what happened.

I am sorry if you found our photographs deceiving, but we are constrained by Laterooms' way of displaying them which forces all the pictures into one page rather than separating them out by room type. Each photo is correctly labelled but you have to click on the photo to see it. The same is true for a lot of the online booking agents whereas if you look at our own website, you can clearly see pictures for each apartment type (plus nine times out of ten it is cheaper to book direct with a hotel and we even point out things that you might not like about each apartment type on our own site!).

I am very sorry to hear about the housekeeping issues that you raised as this really isn't our cleaning standard. It is difficult to reason why these issues incurred without more information on when you stayed and in which apartment. Our apartments are serviced on a daily basis, so we are not sure how the hoovering could have been missed on this occasion and I can only apologise profusely for this and the other issues which we want to investigate thoroughly. For the benefit of future guests, I would urge you to contact us while you are in house if something is not right - the last thing we want is for easily rectifiable issues to marr anyone's stay.

On a positive note, I am delighted you found our Guest Relations team to be very friendly and that you enjoyed the views. We would very much appreciate it if you could get in touch with us directly via email so we can get to the bottom of what happened. In the meantime, please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced.

Kim
Kim Richards
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

If you are used to student accomodation you might find the Rotunda acceptable but if you are a seasoned traveller used to 5* accomodation you will be very disapointed in this hotel! our MD stayed here when the truck show was on at the NEC, because the decision to go to the show was last minute, the usual hotels were fully booked and I thought this was worth a try. The rugs were stained, the curtains had certainly seen better day's, the overall cleanliness was not very good, it was souless and as for sitting looking at the view that's ok as long as you dont mind someone walking past the window! after reading the introduction on the hotel website I was expecting luxury, this is not luxury unless you live in a shack with no running water! The reception was uninviting a bit like an institution, the staff were very nice and helpful but I'm afraid thats the only nice thing I can say.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jacqueline S
Hello JacquelineS

I was so sorry to read that your MD did not enjoy his or her stay with us and did not like the style of the place. Rotunda is a quirky building and is different to standard hotels and we fully appreciate that it isn't to everyone's taste and style.

We don’t have your MD’s name from your review, but it sounds as though he/she stayed in the Clubman Cabriolet which is our one apartment on level 2. We have this as an option for our guests who don't like heights. Our other 25 apartments are on level 17 and above and have commanding views of the city.

We pride ourselves on making sure that the copy on our website is an accurate reflection of the accommodation provided (and we avoid the use of the word luxury like the plague), so I am especially sorry that you were disappointed with your choice.

We are sorry that someone was seen walking past the window on the Cabriolet’s large roof terrace. This would have been a member of the housekeeping team or possibly a security guard making his routine patrol. The Rotunda is Grade II listed and as such the curtains were chosen by another party and have to be the same throughout the building. They probably wouldn't have been our first choice. We are also very sorry about the stains on the rug - it is isn't always possible to wet clean stains made by previous guests in between arrivals due to time constraints.

Please accept our apologies that your expectations were not met during your MD's stay and finally, many thanks for posting your review - we take all feedback on board and go over it in detail at our weekly management meetings to help us continually review what we offer.

Tracey Stephenson
Leeds
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Only recently have I jumped on the bandwagon of serviced apartments. As a PA I became aware that my Directors preferred staying in them to hotels and I myself understand why.

Staying Cool is the second serviced apartments Ive stayed in but nothing comes close to the view from your rooms in this building.

When we arrived I have to say I didn't realise it was also home to residential apartments and my first thoughts were "oh no its going to be noisy" but after the first night I found that the place was SILENT :) infact I was worried our TV was too loud for neighbours. The room itself.....we chose a Mini as it was purely for cost as we have had 3 children over the past 2 years (twins and a singleton) and money is an important feature for us now. The room was compact but cute and the kitchen was stocked with the most gorgeous espresso coffee with an espresso machine to use, oranges to use in the electric juicer, cereals, fresh milk in the fridge, gorgeous muesil. It was fantastic but what sold this place to me was the view from our floor to ceiling windows......awesome!

I am a big fan of Cloud 23 the bar in the Hilton in Manchester and I am always awestruck by the view from the bar as its in the 23rd floor......Staying Cool is like having your own private bar 19 floors up. We sat each night after wed been out just starung out drinking our night caps it was truely beautiful.

The location is fab, right next to Birmingham New Street Station, in the middle of all the shopping centres and a stones throw from the Hippodrome as the purpose of our trip was to see Phantom of the Opera, which I can not recommend enough!!

The staff were lovely always polite and helpful and you just need to ask them for extra coffee, milk, oranges etc and nothing is too much trouble. Id especially like to mention the young man whos name I forgot to ask for who held onto our luggage this morning. Id spoken to him twice on the phone prior to our arrival about prices and directions from the station. He is a credit to your company!

Will I stay again? Like a shot! I would love to save up though and experience the Penthouse as that has a balcony and I expect that is fantastic to sit on in the summer watching the world go by. We will return!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank KelcoLeeds
Hello KelcoLeeds

It was an absolute joy to read your review! I am a big fan of Cloud 23 too and I love your analogy.

We were all really pleased to read that your directors stay in serviced apartments rather than hotels too. Serviced apartments are very well established in the USA and Asia but they are a nascent sector over here.

It was Simon who looked after you during your stay and I have passed on your kind words to him. We really do have a great team at Rotunda.

Thanks so much for writing up your experience with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

With all good wishes
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Had the opportunity to stay at Staying Cool at the top of the Rotunda in Birmingham. Wow what a treat it was cool, funky with fab stylish images adorning the walls. Checking in early evening, I went up to my room to be met by the most fantastic backdrop any room could have. I didn't turn on the lights or draw the curtains I just stood and marvelled at the view - spectacular with all the lights of a cityscape and hustle and bustle of the trains coming into Moor Street. I could have sat there all night identifying the landscape. The room was comfortable, spacious and welcoming. From the magazines in the room to the fresh coffee in the kitchen, the oranges in the fridge for the mornings juice, the fresh milk for the Dorset cereal on the breakfast bar the attention to detail is fab. I was like a child wandering round to see what I could find next. In the morning I had a wonderful shower with freshly laundered towels that actually wrap all the way around you using the wonderful toiletries that carry an aroma of bergamot and orange - which stayed with me during the day as a reminder.

Staying Cool have got it right - they provide you with gadgets and all the essentials that you need for a comfortable stay whether its a work or leisure stay; but I also like the fact that they remind you that they care about the environment which tends to make you think about whether you need to use all the sumptuous pillows or lovely soft towels and I liked that because, lets face it, you don't need four pillows on your own - other hotels put environmental notices up but never adhere to them but the way Staying Cool do it you know they will!

From checking in to checking out the experience, passion and care of the team were outstanding. I did expect to hear noise in the building with it having private apartments but not a dickie bird. Although I live in Birmingham I will definitely be paying another visit when I have a corporate event in the city - only next time I will check in earlier and stay later so I can enjoy all the wonderful facilities and maybe just use that Bose sound system for my Iphone, take a bottle of wine and sit and watch the world go by.

I will definitely book my clients in here - its a real pleasure to stay!

Room Tip: There is so much going on in Birmingham at the moment I would choose one overlooking New Street Stat...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Fizzbang23
Hello Fizzbang23

Many thanks for the lovely review that you posted. You seemed to have enjoyed everything that I love about Rotunda and the things that I think makes it special - the views, the decor, the location, the gadgets, the toiletries and of course our brilliant team.

Next time you should book an apartment with a different view - the differences are quite marked.

Thank you so much once again.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Disappointing to say the least. Have stayed here a few times and loved it, however do not think i will be back. Firstly booked the penthouse and have stayed in before, fantastic view, that will never change, but found tv in bedroom and apple pc in other bedroom gone, stains on carpet and curtains and walls, room very cold, no heating put on despite it below freezing, no mirror in bedrooms so unable to blow dry hair. Having told management and offering to buy my own, still not received!! Car parked in apartments own car park found no CCTV or shutters working??? Was given a £2 reduction. Coffee machine not working had to inform management to have changed, surely these things should be looked at and sorted prior to our arrival after all paying £240 plus parking per night! Overall unsatisfactory.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Wilholben
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Hi Wilholben

I was wholly disheartened to read your review especially as you have been a regular visitor to Rotunda. I am so sorry that your stay this time did not live up to expectations. I've taken each of your points in turn.

We opted to take the Apple Macs out of the bedrooms and connect them to the main TV instead as a result of guest feedback, to give you more multimedia options in the lounge area eg viewing Netflix on a larger screen etc. The bedroom TVs are coming back soon - we are currently testing larger (again in response to guest feedback) smart TVs and expect to have made a decision as to which option we want to choose within the next four weeks.

I can only apologise that you didn't see the carpet at its best - at busy periods it is not always possible to wet wash carpets between stays when a previous guest has spilt something. As part of our ongoing maintenance programme we are replacing each of the lighter carpets with the darker, more practical, type that we have on level 19.

Unfortunately we can't change the curtains as the building is listed and they are uniform throughout the building. We have, however, ordered a spare pair to allow us to send current curtains to be dry cleaned at busy times.

The heating not being on is totally down to human error. I have picked this up with the housekeeping team to make sure this doesn't happen again as I know that the weather has been dreadful over the last few days.

We have a full length mirror in one bedroom of each of the Penthouse apartments and there should be a vanity mirror on each of the bedroom tables for makeup and blow drying. Alas we have had quite a few breakages over recent weeks and our preferred model is out of stock. We have found a replacement and these will be in situ by the end of next week. We have also ordered a second full length mirror per apartment.

Apologies about the underground car park: it is neither owned nor managed by Staying Cool but as soon as we were informed about the shutter issue we contacted each guest who had booked in to the spaces and offered them alternative parking at the Bull Ring shopping centre. Our Guest Relations team said that you were still happy to stay there.

We are sorry that the coffee machine wasn't working in your apartment. We can't always do a full test between each stay due to time constraints so they are tested weekly but unfortunately it seems that yours has failed between tests. As soon as we were informed of this we had it replaced for you.

I will email you personally now about your stay too.

We know you have enjoyed your stays in the past which makes this experience all the more disappointing. Please accept all of our apologies.

Best Wishes