Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
1,024 results
All reviewsthe penthousesky tvmini apartmentfloor to ceiling windowsmilk in the fridgeclubman apartmenticonic buildingelectric juicerespresso machineipod dockbull ringmemory foamliving areathese apartmentsserviced apartmentlovely apartmentlittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was our third stay with Staying Cool, we had an upgrade which meant our high expectations from previous stays was excelled, the location is excellent, the facilities are first class, the decor is classy, chic and cool, the staff can't do enough to help. You really need to stay here!

Room Tip: Whatever you choose will blow you away!
2  Thank nicky s
StayingCool_Rotunda, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Hello nickys

It is always a pleasure to read glowing reviews from returning guests. We really do try hard to exceed expectations so it is wonderful to read when we do. Here's to a great fourth visit (and don't forget about your returning guest discount).

Tracey

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed in one of the mini apartments last week for just one night. We loved the whole experience - from the lovely welcoming welcome, to the amazing views (19th floor and floor to ceiling windows), to the lovely little kitchen, comfy bed and trendy decor and the little special touches like the fresh oranges for the juicer, nice cereals, fluffy bathrobes and the fact that the bags we dropped off at noon when we arrived in Birmingham were taken up our room ahead of us checking in.
The location is great - we looked down directly onto the famous bull of the bullring.
We couldn't fault it and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
StayingCool_Rotunda, Director of Sales at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Hi Tropez

Many thanks for posting such a lovely review of your stay with us and for pointing out some of the extra touches. We very much look forward to hosting your next stay in Birmingham.

Gavin

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just arrived back from a 2 night stay here. The reason for our stay was the wife's birthday. When booking they did not have any penthouse apartments available, but with a brief note on my booking form - as soon as one became available we were placed in one. (this customer service carried on through out the stay)

I understand the hotel does not have its own car park, and having never been to Birmingham before we felt the center of attention walking through the Bullring with our cases. (although we did see other people enduring the same walk during our stay) We had a little trouble finding the hotel. Maybe some sort of printable map they could send out on booking wouldn't go a miss.

On arrival we were greater by a very friendly Danny, who informed us about a food festival which was on, as well as other places to visit.

On entering the apartment the first thing we noticed was the view. it was amazing. The floor to ceiling windows were very light to open and the outside space was perfect for a glass of champers on the first night.

I have noticed that some reviews speak about the noise, from our experience the loudest thing was train wheels grating on the metal as they come into the station - we both slept fine even with the windows open. Having said this the city did have an 'atmosphere' but no more then any other we have been to - and also being so high up your practically removed.

I forgot my Iphone charger (and although the bose docking station played my music - for some reason it did not charge my phone) but when i asked if they had one at reception Sabrina - had no hesitation leading me her personal one.

I could go on for hours about the good points of staying at this place but i think people should find out for themselves. Having said this there are a view point below to help

Yes there were some stains on the curtains/carpet
Yes we found the bedrooms are a little basic
but if you are looking for a great base, amazing view, friendly staff, sky package that includes Movies and Sports, Imac to help you plan your day, full kitchen if you wished to use it and a little safe haven to unwind away from the hassle of the city - personally i don't think you need to look any further.

We will deff be back - and thank you for helping make my wife's Birthday Special.

Lee

Room Tip: The high you are the better the view.

Dear Lee

Many thanks for your kind words about the Rotunda and about the team. We work really hard to try and make our guests' stays as comfortable and interesting as possible and it is very rewarding to read reviews when this in particular is mentioned - thank you.

Alas there is very little we can do about the route from the car park to Rotunda as we are so centrally located but the train station is just a three minute walk away so that maybe an alternative and you don't have to walk through the Bullring to get here. (There are also two spaces under the building but the downside is that you may have to wait a few minutes to gain access.) We have also started the carpet replacement programme.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back at Rotunda in the near future.

Tracey

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have now stayed in the hotel twice albeit our first stay was brief due to some initial confusions. I will review both stays in the same review I want to show the contrast between both of our stays and explain how Kim sorted out the problems for us on our return.

1. Upon arriving we got hopelessly lost in the Bullring. I can appreciate parking is at a premium but when originally booked I was told there was a designated parking space under the hotel which would be reserved for us.
2. Upon entering the hotel we were told that we had a 2nd floor room when I had specifically booked a 19th floor room. This was checked and confirmed in effect our room had been sold twice and as we got the better deal we were moved!
3. Upon entering the room on the 2nd floor it was really noisy and the roof terrace was littered with fag buts. I refused the room and was told there was nowhere else despite checking in promptly
4. During all this the staff were very polite in particular Simon and were helpful in letting us use their phones and computers to find another hotel.

We subsequently stayed at the Hyatt Regency which was a proper 5* hotel.

A formal complaint was raised in which I addressed the concerns these were acknowledged well and we were given refund of the cost difference between the 2 hotels including car parking. We were also invited back to enjoy a 19th floor room for 1 night at nil charge on top of this we were given free parking in the Bull Ring, Free Fit and Fruity extra breakfast which was lovely! and a bottle of champagne.

Our return to the Hotel.

We had no problems at all with the return trip comms were excellent and received a text to let me know that my room was ready before arriving. Upon entering the rooms was pleasantly surprise was really nice with some great fixtures and lovely views. Staff were lovely and it was really quiet.

The only problems we had / niggling issues

1. There were some stains on the furnishings looked a bit dodgy!!!
2. IMAC didn't work no matter what I did it would not find the keyboard.
3. Fridge a bit temperamental which my wife managed to cut herself on????

On the whole these issues were only minor although I have to say that none of these problems were experienced in the Hyatt. We are probably fussier than most customers and are used to 5* Hotels and have stayed in some gorgeous Swiss Hotels in some amazingly expensive rooms! For the price with the extras this is a good hotel in a good central location. However I would probably not say its the best in Birmingham it needs a few issues sorting but once these are done this hotel would be well worth its ranking.

All in all we are very satisfied and cannot thank all the staff enough for the help and assistance and the speedy way our complaint was handled originally. Although it was a shame that we couldn't sort anything out that weekend and had to transfer hotels.

If you want all the luggage assistance etc don't expect it as these are apartments!

Room Tip: Specify 19th floor or 20th floor when booking pay the extra for a better room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

From Kim Richards - General Manager

Hi Pierstaberham Thank you for your detailed feedback. I know that we have previously discussed your previous visit, so I will concentrate on your actual stay with us.

Apologies that there were some stains on the sofa in your Mini apartment, we are in the process of getting the sofas and tulip chairs reupholstered, as we have 26 apartments in total this is a little time consuming, we are in the mean time using a rug doctor to clean the carpets and furniture.

I have personally checked the imac and all is working fine, I'm not sure what happened here, if we would have known during your stay one of the team would have been straight up to give you a hand. I have also looked at the fridge and had our maintenance team look at it and we couldn't see any problems with it. We do have a first aid kit in every apartment again, we would have been very happy to help you, we are contactable 24 hours a day if you need anything.

We are pleased that you found our team to be very helpful and will most certainly pass your comments on. We understand that serviced apartments aren't for everyone, especially travellers who prefer a hotel with a bar, restaurant and porter service. However many of our guests prefer the freedom of a serviced apartment, allowing them to stock up on food and drink and making use of the kitchen.

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Very best wishes
Kim

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stopped here for a night away, on arrival was upgraded from the Clubman to Maxi. Fantastic hotel with great décor and great little extra touches; coffee machines, fresh fruit, toiletries, bath robes etc. Really clean and helpful staff. Receptionist Danny and Simon were more than helpful and provided excellent service. Great location for shopping, food and bars. Overall fantastic 24 hours and would stop again and recommend.

1  Thank gary h

From Kim Richards - General Manager

Hi gary h

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback, we are really happy that you enjoyed your 24 hours and managed to get some shopping done too.

I will pass your comments on to all of the team who will be very pleased to hear them. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Wishes