“Best day in Birmingham”

Ranked #1 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Best day in Birmingham”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly and before I discovered apartments I was always in hotels.
Oh my word what a place Staying Cool is. Firstly location. Next to train stations and the shops, bars and restaurants. Heaven !!
Then the apartments. You pay a little more than hotels but worth every penny. Views over Birmingham and people watching is the best time pass task for me with a glass of Merlot.
Staff so friendly and helpful. Danny and Sabrina are a wicked team. Fun. Energetic and enthusiastic and willing to help. And we get a smile.

Will always be here and telling everyone else where to be staying.

Keep doing what you do. It's Cool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Hi Harry S

We’re very pleased we have converted you from hotels while staying here in Birmingham. It can be really nice to be able to cook and eat in, or grab a coffee (or a glass of Merlot…) in you pjs rather than going out for one.

Danny and Sabrina have both asked me to pass on their thanks for such kinds words.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Birmingham.

Gavin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Stamford
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed with my husband in a penthouse suite on Friday 14th February. I had organised via the website and got a slightly cheaper rate due to the advanced booking.

Check-in was without incident (this isn't like a hotel, there is no front desk) and we were allocated our room ahead of 3pm. The room (2001) has fantastic views across Birmingham (not the prettiest city and looks better at night) with a wrap around balcony for those who feel brave enough to venture out.

The apartment has a large(ish) open plan kitchen and living room with a small glass table adequate enough for four people to sit at. The two designer settees, despite their appearance are very comfortable. Even though the view will command a lot of your attention there is also a large flat screen television,Sky and an a Apple Mac to keep you entertained (you can watch DVDs on the Mac). Well equipped with everything you could need for an overnight stay including oranges to make juice, cereals, Illy coffee machine (so nice) and a pint of milk. I shouldn't forget to mention the dish washer tables too for those who don't want to get their hands wet! We opted to stay in and cook in the apartment which is very easy as everything is easy to use from the oven to the microwave and with a view like that why go out?

I've stayed at The Rotunda on three occasions. My first visit was around two years ago and the apartment looked much fresher then, they are in need of renovation, they are showing a lot of wear and tear and the fittings aren't the greatest quality (the wardrobe doors have stupid handles that are near impossible to grip let alone open). I also had an incident with the sliding door in the bedroom as the stopper on the floor had broken and on closing it slid right across my finger trapping it and making it bleed profusely - not a good start when we arrived!

Overall we had a lovely stay, the apartment is very convenient for shopping and provides a great base for pretty much wherever you want to go in Birmingham. It's a short walk from the station and the car park, although not the most convenient to find or park in, is also just a short distance.

We stayed at a time when the weather was very bad (high winds and rain) so the apartment was very noisy, we listened to music via our phone on the Ipod to counteract the howling winds. The beds and pillows are super comfortable.

I would stay at The Rotunda again but I'll definitely be wary of the doors next time!!!

Room Tip: The penthouse suites are nice but lower rooms also have fantastic views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HI DianeLS

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and choosing to spend your Valentine’s evening with us.

The weather was extremely bad that weekend, but I hope you managed to try the balcony…

The penthouse apartments are really great for enjoying the views over Birmingham in the evening – it even makes the washing up exciting.

We are part way through our re decoration of all of the apartments, I’m really sorry the apartment wasn't at the same standard as your previous stay, but we’re working on it.

Those door handles on the wardrobes can be a challenge, we are looking for a replacement, but due to the weight of the doors it’s not proving as easy as we thought.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the accident with the sliding door, I wanted to assure you that we have started putting extras door-stops on to all of the sliding doors in the collection, this will be completed very soon.

It is fantastic to hear that you made use of the facilities in the apartment, we really have tried to make the apartments a home-from-home, stocked with everything you need for a great night in.

If you let me know next time you plan a visit, we really would like to make it up to you for the door.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

The postcode given for parking at the Rotunda brought me to a point in the road for buses and access? I went along this and received a penalty notice this morning for following the sat nav. My fault, but driving around here is a total nightmare. Check in is from rush hour. In future I will get the train which goes right into the centre of Birmingham anyway.
On checking in, the reception is an unattractive area, the poor staff wearing winter coats in an awful corridor. The staff are really friendly even though their working conditions aren't too nice.
The room itself, room 1903 was a disgrace. The view we had saved £300 for was obscured by a broken window which was full of condensation, we were left a bottle of wine as an apology. The self contained apartment is ideal to cook your own food and makes a nice change from a hotel. The only problem was not having a cork screw or a frying pan. A quick phone call and a pan was brought. The hair dryer was also missing from the room but was brought to us quickly. The kitchen was very clean but poorly stocked, with filter coffee sufficient for one breakfast even though we were there for two nights. One pint of milk and 4 tea bags and 2 boxes of cereal. Come on rotunda! Don't make people ask for more provisions. If we're there 2 nights provide 2 lots of everything!
The room itself was in need of a makeover, the funky interior not looking like the photos. Stains over the faded chairs and carpet, I will upload my own to show what I mean.
The decorating has been done to a very low standard. Paint over every socket, and hinge. No tradesmen were used in the decorating of room 1903. Birmingham itself is great, and the Rotunda is situated right in amongst the shops and restaurants.
Finally I got the iron out, I'd purchased with my birthday money a very nice Hugo Boss shirt and wanted to iron out some creases. I didn't check the iron! The last person must have melted their garment and it ruined mine. Top tip now is check the iron on the hotels towels first.
The shower in room 1903 really wakes you up in the morning because it doesn't get hot, the water is hot from the taps but the thermostat in the shower isn't working.
The Rotunda have offered a free night back there. I've decided not to bother. It cost me £320 for room and parking. £30 fine and £120 shirt.
All in all a disastrous stay at the Rotunda and make sure you don't get room 1903. Check out my pictures if I can work out how to up load them.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank zakblack71
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hi Zakblack71

Oh dear, we really did let you down didn't we. This is absolutely not the type of stay we like our guests to experience here at Rotunda.

I know we have communicated by email but I wanted to reiterate the points we made and update you on a few things. Firstly I need to apologise for the missing items in your apartment. I know you have mentioned that these were quickly replaced for you, but all of these items should have been in your apartment upon check-in. Our housekeeping supervisor is acutely sorry for the errors and has asked me to pass on her apologies. We know that the mistake occurred due to human error over an apartment number mix up.

From your comments about tea, coffee etc, it seems like you were not offered our daily maid service, as this would have ensured that everything was topped up for you each day. We are currently training new members of our front of house team and it seems this omission was again down to human error.

The cracked window is due to be repaired, but as you can imagine it isn't the quickest of tasks and while the weather continues to be so severe we are unable to use the building crane to install a replacement.

Since your original feedback, we have able to rectify all of the issues you encountered (excluding the window) and have also had our maintenance team check everything out. You were right about the hot water in the shower - the thermostat in the tap did indeed need adjusting.

The reception area was designed to allow easy access from the entrance to the lift area, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't to your taste. Most of our guests really like it,  especially the lighting installation and the "clean lines" but ultimately design is all about personal preference and I'm sorry we didn't appeal to you. The team often wear their jackets at busy periods as the main door opens and closes much more at these times.

We are sorry to hear about your penalty notice. The postcode we provide for the car park is for Worcester Street which is at the back of Rotunda and by the entrance to the underground car park. It sounds like you may have missed the left turn and headed under the tunnel which is a 'bus only' lane.

Once again we are really sorry that you didn't get the stay you were expecting and indeed should have received. I know the team has been in touch with you personally, and we really do hope that you will take us up on our offer of another stay.

Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Loved my stay here for New Year's Eve. Definitely not cheap but you could't find anywhere better located for a night out in Birmingham. The apartment was hotel boutique style and the views are amazing. A couple of small housekeeping niggles but everything else made up for it. The staff on reception were brilliant and very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Juliet W

Thanks for seeing in the new year with us here at Staying Cool, we hope it’s all going well for you.

We’re really pleased you enjoyed the apartment (we get a great view of the fireworks).

I know you have said that the housekeeping issues did not put you off, but if you have the time it would be great to know what they were and I can pass it on to the team.

The team has asked me to thank you for your comments.

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review.

Look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have stayed at Staying Cool for the past 3 months while working in Birmingham. Their flats are clean, spacious and very comfortable (far better than the hotels for a similar price). The team are excellent and have always gone out of their way to make my stay as easy as possible. Whether its extra cooking utensils or changes to bookings at short notice the team have always been happy to go the extra mile to help me out.

If you're coming to Birmingham and are looking for a home away from home I’d highly recommend staying at Staying Cool

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HI Nick S

It's been an absolute pleasure looking after you while you have been working in the city (the team are really sad your project has ended).

If there is anything you need in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Hopefully see you soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed with my friends in Jan as we were hitting Birmingham for a night out.
Never stayed in apartments before (always opted for hotels) but after staying at staying cool it's turned my opinion around.
Central location was able to walk back from the clubs in the evening and from shopping during the day.
Staff members Danny and Simon went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable and pleasurable as possible.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
HI 82Mich

Thanks for leaving your review.

We're really pleased you loved the apartment experience.

It sounds like you had a great night out too. You'll have to let us know where you got too, all of our bar and restaurant recommendations in the apartment guide come from guests or our own experiences.

Hopefully we'll see you next time you visit Birmingham.

Best wishes
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our time in Birmingham is spent working at trade shows at the NEC but the Staying Cool apartments help us start each day with a spring in our step. Stunning views and thoughtful touches make our visits to Birmingham something we all look forward to now.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi Paladone

Thanks for such a lovely review.

It is always great when we are able to show what Birmingham has on offer to exhibitors at the NEC complex. Being so close to the NEC by train it really does allow you to take a break from the exhibitions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.