“Great facilities, views and staff”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights last month and had a fantastic time. Decor and apartment was clean and of high quality with great facilities and extras.
Staff were friendly and welcoming, especially the general manager (Gary?/Gavin?) who went out of his way to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable.
The views were immense as was the central location by the bull ring.
Highly recommended and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Hi TripAdvisor member

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay.

We're all really pleased you had a great time, many thanks for your kind words.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes
Gavin Burns

There are newer reviews for Staying Cool at the Rotunda

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay here and the standards seem to have dropped since our last visit. The room was grubby and had lots of little bits of cosmetic damage throughout which really detracted from what is normally a first class hotel. Unfortunately for us, on this occasion it was 5 star prices for a 3 star experience.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank peterboroughlovers
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hi peterboroughlovers

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay.

We're really sorry to hear you didn't find your apartment up to the same standard as your previous visit. It would be really helpful if you could get in touch and let us know when you stayed.

This will allow us to take a look at the apartment and speak to the team members who prepared the apartment for you.

We're really please you came back for a second stay and would really love to have you back for a third, when we'll ensure everything is right for you.

You can contact me on 0121 285 1250.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed in a Maxi room with wife and 2 kids. Bit of faffing around with parking, they tell you to park in a loading bay and phone them. Couldn't get an answer for 15 minutes, then on the seventh attempt got through to obtain a key fob for the car park for £12 ( although it said £9.50 somewhere). Wasn't told how to actually get in the hotel from the car park, the entrance is marked as Urbansplash FYI, eventually got the attention of staff and got in. Room very nice, great spot for exploring central Birmingham.
One minor grumble was the kids packs that are mentioned in the booking details were not left for us, I texted the number I had been sent (no phone in the room) at 9.40 the next morning. The reply said I hadn't asked for them, I was sure I had but nonetheless I had 2 children with me when I arrived and they were on the booking form. The kids packs were given rather abrubtly (after another wait) after again asking for them on departure nearly 2 hours later.
To be fair, a couple of the staff members were very polite and welcoming, others were not.
In summary, stay for the apartments and the building, but don't expect to be as well treated as I think you should be for the not insubstantial cost.

Room Tip: Not sure the penthouse would be worth the extra unless in very good weather (and you are ok with hei...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Gremlyn70

We’re really sorry you had to ask for the 'Cool for Kids' package rather than it being in your room on arrival.

At the moment it is only added to a booking when requested. Moving forward I have asked the team to automatically add the package to any booking with children staying with their parents.

Please accept my sincere apologies you didn’t find all of the staff very welcoming. I have spoken with the team on duty during your stay and they have asked me to pass on their apologies if they came across rudely. We generally get rave reviews about the team, we’re very sorry you didn’t experience this.

The parking has also been mentioned by another guest today and I have asked that we revisit the information we send to guest when parking at St Martin’s Gate, rather than the Bullring. We are also adding a second number so guests don’t get held up if we are on the phone when they are trying to reach us know they have arrived.

Parking at St Martin’s Gate is £12 per night and the Bullring is £9.50 per night, which is where the confusion on the rate may have come from.

We are really please that you and you family enjoyed the apartment and the central location – it really is great for exploring Birmingham.

We really hope you come back again next time you are in the city.

If there is anything else I can help with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here a couple of times now. Great access from the station and when you arrive you can't help but be blown away by the views over Birmingham from the 19th Floor. In the evening, early morning, rain storms or sunshine, you really have to experience it. Stayed in the mini apartment again. The layout is great, with an ingenious kitchen that provides you with fresh oranges to squeeze from the worlds best electronic juicer. You get quality coffee and other stuff too. Good attention to detail here with the choice of products they provide which adds to the overall experience. Really comfy beds and staff are helpful and friendly too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Hi Radiohead501

Many thanks for such a fab review.

I couldn’t agree more re the views, a storm looks just as amazing as a sunny day, especially when we get lightening too…

We hope to see you again next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly and before I discovered apartments I was always in hotels.
Oh my word what a place Staying Cool is. Firstly location. Next to train stations and the shops, bars and restaurants. Heaven !!
Then the apartments. You pay a little more than hotels but worth every penny. Views over Birmingham and people watching is the best time pass task for me with a glass of Merlot.
Staff so friendly and helpful. Danny and Sabrina are a wicked team. Fun. Energetic and enthusiastic and willing to help. And we get a smile.

Will always be here and telling everyone else where to be staying.

Keep doing what you do. It's Cool.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Harry S

We’re very pleased we have converted you from hotels while staying here in Birmingham. It can be really nice to be able to cook and eat in, or grab a coffee (or a glass of Merlot…) in you pjs rather than going out for one.

Danny and Sabrina have both asked me to pass on their thanks for such kinds words.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed with my husband in a penthouse suite on Friday 14th February. I had organised via the website and got a slightly cheaper rate due to the advanced booking.

Check-in was without incident (this isn't like a hotel, there is no front desk) and we were allocated our room ahead of 3pm. The room (2001) has fantastic views across Birmingham (not the prettiest city and looks better at night) with a wrap around balcony for those who feel brave enough to venture out.

The apartment has a large(ish) open plan kitchen and living room with a small glass table adequate enough for four people to sit at. The two designer settees, despite their appearance are very comfortable. Even though the view will command a lot of your attention there is also a large flat screen television,Sky and an a Apple Mac to keep you entertained (you can watch DVDs on the Mac). Well equipped with everything you could need for an overnight stay including oranges to make juice, cereals, Illy coffee machine (so nice) and a pint of milk. I shouldn't forget to mention the dish washer tables too for those who don't want to get their hands wet! We opted to stay in and cook in the apartment which is very easy as everything is easy to use from the oven to the microwave and with a view like that why go out?

I've stayed at The Rotunda on three occasions. My first visit was around two years ago and the apartment looked much fresher then, they are in need of renovation, they are showing a lot of wear and tear and the fittings aren't the greatest quality (the wardrobe doors have stupid handles that are near impossible to grip let alone open). I also had an incident with the sliding door in the bedroom as the stopper on the floor had broken and on closing it slid right across my finger trapping it and making it bleed profusely - not a good start when we arrived!

Overall we had a lovely stay, the apartment is very convenient for shopping and provides a great base for pretty much wherever you want to go in Birmingham. It's a short walk from the station and the car park, although not the most convenient to find or park in, is also just a short distance.

We stayed at a time when the weather was very bad (high winds and rain) so the apartment was very noisy, we listened to music via our phone on the Ipod to counteract the howling winds. The beds and pillows are super comfortable.

I would stay at The Rotunda again but I'll definitely be wary of the doors next time!!!

Room Tip: The penthouse suites are nice but lower rooms also have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

HI DianeLS

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and choosing to spend your Valentine’s evening with us.

The weather was extremely bad that weekend, but I hope you managed to try the balcony…

The penthouse apartments are really great for enjoying the views over Birmingham in the evening – it even makes the washing up exciting.

We are part way through our re decoration of all of the apartments, I’m really sorry the apartment wasn't at the same standard as your previous stay, but we’re working on it.

Those door handles on the wardrobes can be a challenge, we are looking for a replacement, but due to the weight of the doors it’s not proving as easy as we thought.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the accident with the sliding door, I wanted to assure you that we have started putting extras door-stops on to all of the sliding doors in the collection, this will be completed very soon.

It is fantastic to hear that you made use of the facilities in the apartment, we really have tried to make the apartments a home-from-home, stocked with everything you need for a great night in.

If you let me know next time you plan a visit, we really would like to make it up to you for the door.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The postcode given for parking at the Rotunda brought me to a point in the road for buses and access? I went along this and received a penalty notice this morning for following the sat nav. My fault, but driving around here is a total nightmare. Check in is from rush hour. In future I will get the train which goes right into the centre of Birmingham anyway.
On checking in, the reception is an unattractive area, the poor staff wearing winter coats in an awful corridor. The staff are really friendly even though their working conditions aren't too nice.
The room itself, room 1903 was a disgrace. The view we had saved £300 for was obscured by a broken window which was full of condensation, we were left a bottle of wine as an apology. The self contained apartment is ideal to cook your own food and makes a nice change from a hotel. The only problem was not having a cork screw or a frying pan. A quick phone call and a pan was brought. The hair dryer was also missing from the room but was brought to us quickly. The kitchen was very clean but poorly stocked, with filter coffee sufficient for one breakfast even though we were there for two nights. One pint of milk and 4 tea bags and 2 boxes of cereal. Come on rotunda! Don't make people ask for more provisions. If we're there 2 nights provide 2 lots of everything!
The room itself was in need of a makeover, the funky interior not looking like the photos. Stains over the faded chairs and carpet, I will upload my own to show what I mean.
The decorating has been done to a very low standard. Paint over every socket, and hinge. No tradesmen were used in the decorating of room 1903. Birmingham itself is great, and the Rotunda is situated right in amongst the shops and restaurants.
Finally I got the iron out, I'd purchased with my birthday money a very nice Hugo Boss shirt and wanted to iron out some creases. I didn't check the iron! The last person must have melted their garment and it ruined mine. Top tip now is check the iron on the hotels towels first.
The shower in room 1903 really wakes you up in the morning because it doesn't get hot, the water is hot from the taps but the thermostat in the shower isn't working.
The Rotunda have offered a free night back there. I've decided not to bother. It cost me £320 for room and parking. £30 fine and £120 shirt.
All in all a disastrous stay at the Rotunda and make sure you don't get room 1903. Check out my pictures if I can work out how to up load them.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank zakblack71
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Hi Zakblack71

Oh dear, we really did let you down didn't we. This is absolutely not the type of stay we like our guests to experience here at Rotunda.

I know we have communicated by email but I wanted to reiterate the points we made and update you on a few things. Firstly I need to apologise for the missing items in your apartment. I know you have mentioned that these were quickly replaced for you, but all of these items should have been in your apartment upon check-in. Our housekeeping supervisor is acutely sorry for the errors and has asked me to pass on her apologies. We know that the mistake occurred due to human error over an apartment number mix up.

From your comments about tea, coffee etc, it seems like you were not offered our daily maid service, as this would have ensured that everything was topped up for you each day. We are currently training new members of our front of house team and it seems this omission was again down to human error.

The cracked window is due to be repaired, but as you can imagine it isn't the quickest of tasks and while the weather continues to be so severe we are unable to use the building crane to install a replacement.

Since your original feedback, we have able to rectify all of the issues you encountered (excluding the window) and have also had our maintenance team check everything out. You were right about the hot water in the shower - the thermostat in the tap did indeed need adjusting.

The reception area was designed to allow easy access from the entrance to the lift area, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't to your taste. Most of our guests really like it,  especially the lighting installation and the "clean lines" but ultimately design is all about personal preference and I'm sorry we didn't appeal to you. The team often wear their jackets at busy periods as the main door opens and closes much more at these times.

We are sorry to hear about your penalty notice. The postcode we provide for the car park is for Worcester Street which is at the back of Rotunda and by the entrance to the underground car park. It sounds like you may have missed the left turn and headed under the tunnel which is a 'bus only' lane.

Once again we are really sorry that you didn't get the stay you were expecting and indeed should have received. I know the team has been in touch with you personally, and we really do hope that you will take us up on our offer of another stay.