“absolutely FLAWLESS”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Wonderful, friendly, genuinely helpful staff, beautiful views of birmingham, wonderfully comfortable spacious stylish rooms, in a very desirable location beside a good mix of shops, without a doubt the best hotel i've ever stayed in. Over and out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
StayingCool_Rotunda, Front Office Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hi Poeoro

Thank you for the taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We're chuffed that you would recommend our team so highly.

We'd love to have you with us again soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I don't much like provincial city hotels. Unless I know of a great "one-off" (for instance in Newcastle there's Jesmond Dene House…a fantastic hotel) I stick to Marriott or similar….really boring but at least you get a comfortable bed and a decent standard.

I rarely visit provincial UK cities and if I go to the NEC I usually stay at the Marriott however it's one of the worst Marriotts I have stayed in (the Birmingham Hyatt is even worse) …..exceptionally bland and impersonal. So……for my recent visit I consulted Tripadvisor and booked into The Rotunda.

The day before arrival I emailed the hotel, on the first Sunday in March…to ask about parking and how to find the hotel. Andy replied two minutes later….that was impressive…and he couldn't be helpful enough.

On arrival I found the Bullring car park……and here's a tip…..if you park overnight give the ticket to Andy or anyone at reception as the hotel receives a special rate for guests. I quick stroll over the bridge linking car-park to Bullring and I was looking for the hotel…..which Andy told me was near Zara. It was although I walked past it twice. This place is really "cool."

On arrival the very same Andy was working at reception. I received a terrific two-bed suite on a high floor with fantastic views…….and everything about the suite was excellent. I loved the fresh oranges (and juicing machine) in the fridge/cereals/milk and the choice of two coffee/tea makers………I'm not going to go on and on…..suffice to say there were lots os surprises and attention to detail was 1st rate.

I had a lovely stay……and if I ever return to Birmingham this is where I would stay again. I wish I had found it many years ago…….a find like this is where Tripadvisor excels.

Final word…..Andy on reception is a class act……he's head concierge/reception manager and PR rolled into one. He should go for a hotel management course….as he's clearly a star and I could see him running a major hotel. This is a service industry employing to many people who are not very good…Andy is way ahead of the curve as is this hotel. The Rotunda 10/10…….against The Birmingham Marriott….5/10

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BarryAscot
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hi Barry

Many thanks for such a glowing review. We're really please you enjoyed the serviced apartment experience.

Your very kind words have put a large smile on the faces of our front of house team - we really do like to be as helpful as we can, before, during and after your stay.

We would love to see you again next time you are in the city. Do let me know if there is anything you need in the future.

Very best wishes
Gavin

Gavin Burns

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. A lot of space even if it was a mini. Big comfortable bed. Nice furnitures. Amazing view (”I feel like a rock star”, a visiting friend said). Clean and everything in good order. Free wifi worked very well. And the staff was helpful and friendly, absolutely five stars.
The hotel is easy to find and very well situated, smack in the middle of down town.
My only regret is that we didn't spend more time in the apartment. In that sense it was a rather expensive stay – but I would not hesitate to go back if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barfota

Hi Barfota

Thank you so much for your glowing review, I'm glad to hear the team were able to make your stay even more special.

We hope you will return so we can give you that 'Rockstar' feeling again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The place has been very well designed and is good value for your money. It is very clean which we all look for in a hotel, and I had an amazing stay. It has the perfect location as you are near to a variety of places in Birmingham town centre. I would definitely recommend the Rotunda as you will not be let down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jason

Your review hits the nail on the head, we are very lucky to be in such a great location with so much to do on the doorstep or just a short walk away.

Thank you for your lovely review and for recommending us.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a great place to stay if you are into shopping, eating and drinbking - and views. Birmingham has not got the best skyline, but even the West Midlands looks OK from floor 17. Also, the apartments are tastefully furnished, very comfortable, and with very well-appointed kitchens. Once outside the door, all the best shops are within walking distance bar Emporio Armani at the Mailbox, and even that isn't too far. The apartments are not cheap but the price is justified. I would go back.

Hi Martin

Thank you for your delightful review. The Rotunda does indeed have rather handsome views with a skyline that has doubled for London in some TV and film productions. On a clear day, you can see for miles.

We'd love to have you with us again, please do remember to use your returning discount.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 20th floor with 2 kids.
The positives:
1.great central location- best shopping complex in Birmingham with lots of restaurants within walking distance. Short 10-15 walks to major attractions
2. Lots of space compared to a hotel room
3. Beds and pillows excellent
4. Panoramic views of Birmingham
5. Good wifi - I clocked it a 12MB/s download
6. Good kitchen with appliances (but poor selection of pots and pans for actual cooking)

The negatives
1. You can't just drive up to the lobby. the entrance is on a street with pedestrian access only. You need to park in the Bullring centre carpark and take your luggage through the shopping centre.
2. Limited cooking implements (eg no frying pan at all), but kitchen appliances are actually quite good.
3. Poor lighting in living area (now I'm getting picky).

Overall, would highly recommend, especially for families or anyone who wants the convenience of an apartment in a very central location with everything at your doorstep.

Hi PTags

We loved having your family with us during your time in the UK, we hope your long flight back was a pleasant one.

Thank you for your lovely comments, our two bedroom apartments are ideal for families who prefer a larger shared space over separate hotel rooms.

Please do accept our apologies, the frying pans are situated in a drawer under the oven, we have realised this isn't the most obvious spot and have since labelled the drawer.

We're sorry to hear you found the journey from the car park to be an issue. It is roughly a 5 minute walk away, which we understand can be a bit of a trek with luggage and smaller children. Guests are welcome to be dropped off or park for a short while at the nearby loading bay on Worcester Street, which is approximately 90 seconds from our door.

We're thrilled you would recommend us, as you stated serviced apartments are great for families. We hope you will all be back next time you visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Booked the Penthouse room for a surprise 50th birthday present for my wife and, with our two daughters 'tagging along', what a surprise we had when we opened the door to room 2001. Large open plan living and kitchen area, with all facilities available, if you really want them, fridge, freezer, oven and hob, dishwasher and washing machine! Furniture and decoration was modern, clean and tidy, with large flat screen TV, Sky and Apple TV, Ipod docks and various breakfast food, including a whole fridge load of oranges for the juicer. The two separate bedrooms were large and had the most comfortable beds. Both had large en-suite bathrooms, one having a shower the other a large bath with shower over. All of this was topped off by the wrap around floor to ceiling glass windows that opened out onto a full width balcony, overlooking virtually the whole of Birmingham City Centre. Watch everyone shopping below in the daylight and how different the City looks by nightlight. Special thank you to Raph on reception, smiling and friendly even while looking after our bags!! If you want a room with a view in the centre of town, why bother with anywhere else. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Penthouse room 2001 overlooks main area of the City, New Street, Broad Street, Villa Park, St Andrew...