“stylish comfort”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A superb experience staying in Staying Cool Rotunda apartments. Booking and obtaining the keys was so easy and seamless. The location of the Rotunda is absloutely superb especially if you are travelling by train. I had an early-ish start the next day and was able to get up, enjoy the lovely breakfast provided ( including organges to freshly squeeze ) and then walk to the station in under five minutes. The aparment itself was very comfortable with lots of attention to detail, lovely bed linen and towels. The bathrooms were modern, well lit with everything working. The apartment was very very clean.
I will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew P
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hi Andrew P

Thanks for posting your review, it's lovely to read.

I often travel from Manchester into New Street and agree the location is just great for commuting.

I have passed on your comments to our housekeeping team, thanks for the lovely words.

Really hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Staying Cool at the Rotunda

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed in a penthouse apartment in this hotel with four friends for a get together. The first thing that hits you is the amazing view of Birmingham and it's suburbs and beyond to the Lickey Hills. The apartment was comfortable, spacious and well equipped aswell as provisions of tea coffee and breakfast cereals, it seemed everything necessary had been thought about. We hoping to make a return visit in the not too distant future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Bjavern

Thanks for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

Lots of guests tell us the views from the penthouses are stunning and as you enter the lounge it really is hard to look at anything else!

It's lovely to read that you made the most of the facilities too.

Hope to see you and your friends again in the future.

Best

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent 2 night at this wonderful hotel in June. It is close to the station, shopping and just about everything which is why I chose it. My room was super and it was lovely having my own kitchen. Staff were great and although I was in the middle of Birmingham, the room was really quiet!

Room Tip: This is a really great place to stay! Chick, clean, convenient and is like a 'home from home...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi BillieSurrey

Thanks for such a glowing review. We're all really pleased you enjoyed yourself as well as the facilities and location.

Those windows really do provide fantastic sound proofing... The staff all send their thanks for your lovely comments too.

Hope you see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was a last minute room purchase as my daughter spilled her ice cream and was getting tired, so I decided to splurge on a hotel to get her cleaned up and for me to stay the night.
We turned up with no notice, entirely my fault, but the check in desk's attitude was poor. I explained the situation, he called up to the cleaner and advised that a cleaner was in the room, the housekeeping manager would go and find out how long it would take so could I wait for 5 minutes. 20 minutes later with no where to sit ,he checks up on the manager but it goes to voicemail. After another 10 minutes, I ask him to check again which he then does. At this point I requested a refund as far from being something to relieve stress, it was causing me more stress and I really did not want to deal with the front desk person anymore. I was advised that he would need to talk to another gentleman about the refund, from whom I'm still waiting for a call back to discuss the confrontational attitude I faced during that time.

I get in to the room 45 minutes later, and find a hair on the bath mat, dust everywhere and a balcony with hundreds of cigarette butts around the edges and a couple on the grass with a banana peel. After bathing my daughter and heading back out again, I was advised that I had rushed the cleaning, so that is why the room was not up to standard and the cleanliness of the balcony was beyond the buildings control. I was also informed that the balcony links to a communal area and not to leave my balcony door open when out of the room for security reasons, something not mentioned on the website. The banana had gone, but the cigarette butts remain, clearly requiring someone with a Hoover. The building manager is investigating the issue of people in the apartment above throwing items from their windows.

I then tried to use wifi to find that the front desk had written it down incorrectly,so had to call down again.

Now, at 8:50 am as I'm writing this review, I can see a cleaner on my balcony picking up the cigarette butts. I'm glad I wore pjs to bed, as the room layout means that to watch Tv from bed, you need to keep the door to the lounge area open and even with all curtains closed there is a large gap from which the cleaner has just seen me. So another tip for this room, close the door between the bedroom and lounge before getting changed, just in case someone wanders onto the balcony!

I explained the concerns above to the front desk manager who was lovely and apologised for the issues at check in and with the room, I also received an email from him later apologising and explaining what had happened that was not communicated to me at the time.

I completely accept that by turning up early I had put pressure on front desk to provide me with a room, However, being asked to wait for 5 minutes and then being given an answer 30 minutes later ( after having to request that the front desk check with the housekeeper) stood in a lobby with no seats ( due to fire regulations) with a 4 year old did not provide me with a stress free start to my stay.
As such, I would stay here again without my children, as the issues above did not make this a family friendly experience for me at all.

Room Tip: Do not choose the clubman with balcony if you have children. Hundreds of cigarette butts were around...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Choc17

Hi Choc17

We're extremely sorry we were unable to get you into the apartment as early as you would have liked. We totally understand you wanted to get your daughter changed.

The previous guest didn't leave until our 12 noon checkout time (so hadn't long left when you arrived) and we like to give the cleaners at least two hours to get the apartment ready for a new guest (this apartment does take longer as we have the polished floors and we like to also service the outside area).

Again, I can't apologise enough that you didn't feel you were dealt with properly by reception. I spoke with them on your arrival day and I know they really didn't want you to think they had a poor attitude - we really are used to glowing reviews for the Front of House team.

We make regular checks of the patio area between 12 and 3pm - prior to the next guest arriving and we are going all we can to deal with the issues of the cigarette ends. The buildings our cleaner also looks after the area with us. I have spoken with them about clearing the area while we still have a guest in house.

I am really pleased that you would consider staying in the future. We look after lots of families and have a fantastic Cool for Kids package that can be pre ordered for children.

As I mentioned to you on checkout - I would really like to see you and the family again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should you need anything in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Location was great. Perfect for shopping. The views of our penthouse apartment were really what made it that little bit extra special. Kitchen was well equipped to make meals. We even stayed in the apartment on the evening although the city centre was right on our doorstep. If I had to be picky there were a few staines on the carpet and a curtain but other than that the apartment was very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hi Stacey A

Many thanks for posting your review.

We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and the location.

We're working on replacing the beige carpets at the moment. Many thanks for the note on the curtain, the team dealt with the issue this morning.

Hope to see you again soon.

General Manger

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night midweek in one of the 'Mini' apartments.
The first thing to say is that despite the very central location the Rotunda is easy to drive to, and has the Bullring car park conveniently situated right underneath.
The view from the 18th floor is spectacular - accentuated by the ceiling-to-floor windows.
The interior of the open-plan studio apartment is of modern design using top quality materials.
The galley kitchen was very well equipped with some nice touches. The living area had an Apple TV box, a Sky box and an iPhone docking station. Very good.
The bed was very comfortable with high quality linen.
The staff were very helpful and enthusiastic.
This is now certainly going to be my first choice next time I stay in Birmingham.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
StayingCool_Rotunda, General Manager at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi Stamford_Trencherman

It's great to hear we may have just converted you to serviced apartments..!

The Mini apartments are make choice of apartment when I stay over, It's great to have everything you need in a great space for two with the view on top.

We hope to see you again soon.

Do get in touch if there is anything we can do for you.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I must admit that this is probably about as much I have spent on a hotel room, apart from in New York, but it was worth the money. I spent 1 night in a penthouse apartment (no 2000) with my partner for a birthday treat and we both loved it. The view from this apartment was outstanding, right over the main sites of Birmingham. It was right over the top of New Street station and looked down New Street. I did request a view over the train station, not that I am a train spotter, but it is the best direction to see the sights. It is amazing to have such a huge balcony, stretching around about a 6th of the building, so the panorama was even bigger that expected. It was so nice to have outside space 20 floors up overlooking our 2nd city.
The apartment itself was very well stocked, nice to have loads of tea, coffee, milk, oranges, breakfast cereals, etc. It had a really light airy feel to it with ceiling to floor windows. I didn't want to pull the curtains, so I left them open at night for a really strange experience, although I did wake up at 2.00am thinking it was daytime due to the amount of light!
Check in was 3.00pm and checkout 12.00, we made the most of the time in the apartment. There were 2 bedrooms, so it would be ideal for 2 couples and the price a little easier to handle. To be honest, even for me and my other half I thought it was worth the cost for a special treat.
Parking was about £9 for our stay and easy to find and not too far to walk with out bags. The guy on reception was extremely friendly and helpful.
So all in all this was a really special night, it was a birthday treat and it went down really well. Champagne on the balcony at night as the rain poured down was quite special, yes it is covered so you don't get wet! Earlier in the day you could catch the sun on the balcony before the weather changed for the worse.
Oh, and the beds are very comfy, it was difficult to decide which of the bedroom to use! The TV is great, with SKY HD, so I could watch the world cup footy. The WiFi was also handy. Ther was a bath in one en suite and a shower in the other.
I am sure there are things that I have missed, but we had a great stay, would love to go back. The view and huge balcony make is a special stay. Birmingham is also a great pace to explore.

Room Tip: Penthouse 2000 for views over New street and the main sights of Birmingham. Also get the afternoon s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cornelius1971

Hi cornelius1971

Your review really was a pleasure to read, many thanks for taking the time to post it for us.

We're all really pleased you picked to stay with us for your special occasion.

The from your apartment is also my favourite, there is so much going on at the station at the moment, it get to see how much is changes on a day to day basis.

The balcony is a real treat (especially with a glass of champagne).

We would love to see you both again in the future (all guests get a 10% returning discount too).

Do let me know if there is anything else you need.

Many thanks once again.