“chic city living”

Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Well designed and equipped apartment, with fantastic panoramic views of Birmingham. Decorated in a tasteful and contemporary style with a well equipped kitchen, comfortable beds and spacious bathrooms. The sofas spectacular. A really good alternative to a hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Hi annesleySuffolk

We were thrilled to read about your stay in the penthouse. I have to agree on the sofas - the multi-coloured button idea is a winner! Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

Since my inital stay in the apartments at the end of last year I've used them several times and I have to say they never fail to impress.

The guys at the front desk are always as helpful as can be and whether the apartment is ready or not (I tend to arrive a couple of hours before check-in time) they're always ready to help. Only issue sometimes is getting into the place for the first time when you don't have your key/building fob!

I've used a mini appartment each time I've stayed and found them always to be in great condition, well serviced and very warm and welcoming. Sky television with Apple Mac, wonderfully comfortable beds and a fully equiped kitchen provide everything you could need.

The small but extremely functional bathrooms are excellent and I love the provided toiletries as they are excellent quality. The only issue I still have with the bathrooms is the same as the first time I stayed and that is the shower screen. I still find myself having to dry off the floor after a shower although as you can probably tell, it hasn't put me off staying there!

Overall I can't recommend this place hightly enough and am thorougly looking forward to my next stay in the middle of August!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Hello ApplePie

It's always a pleasure and a welcome surprise to read a review from one of our regular guests on Tripadvisor - thank you.

Re: getting into the building, you just type in 123 which rings the phone on our desk and we press a button to let you in. I can only think that any delay is because we are dealing with another guest either in person or on the phone. Anyway, let us know how you get on next time and I'll keep an eye on any other guests mentioning this as an issue.

I've written a lot about the shower screens in the Minis (doesn't apply to Clubmans, Maxis or the Penthouse) which can allow water past if the shower head isn't positioned at the (one) perfect angle. The rooms are wet rooms though so any water that goes onto the shower mat or floor can easily be wiped up. I have an aversion to shower curtains which is why we don't have them and we haven't found anything that is both more functional and aesthetically pleasing than the current screen. But we're constantly on the look out for a better solution.

Thanks again for taking the time to write up the review - we really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stopping in this apartment really made our stay in Birmingham. Once you get over any initial vertigo issues, opening the full height windows on the 19th floor (protection is provided by a waist height glazed balustrade), the views are sensational, although not picturesque. The use of an apartment rather than just a boring hotel room makes stopping in the room a pleasure.
The space isn't enormous, but far bigger than a typical hotel room. The shower room (note not a bath in the midi's) is however small, but fine I would suggest for a short stay. I know it is opinion, but the bed was the most comfortable I have ever experienced within a hotel; or was that down to the large quantities of alcohol experienced before going to bed! As previously stated the hotel is central.
Staff are very friendly and helpful. One thing to note, not a criticism, is that the room isn't serviced every day. But when we wanted extra towels the second day these were delievered straight away. And stock up with extra oranges from the local supermarket when you have used up the initial supply. Oh and book parking through the hotel (it is just £7.50/day - a bargin in the centre of Birmingham).
In summary I would thoroughly recommend these apartments. I'm sure we will be back. Birmingham is a great town to spend a couple of days.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
TraceyStayingCool, Owner at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Hi Mike

We're really chuffed you enjoyed your stay with us last week and found the beds really comfortable. Another guest likened them to sleeping on a cloud!

We stopped doing daily servicing when we first set up because we found many of our guests chose an apartment over a hotel because of its inherent privacy and thought that 'do not disturb' should come as standard. We therefore switched to offering a daily maid service on request (£12). We obviously need to make this clearer to guests.

Likewise, we don't put too many oranges in an apartment on check-in because we were wasting so many of them at one point as not everyone uses them for juice. Again, I think we just need to make it clear to guests on check in that we can supply as many oranges as you need - just ask.

We'll work on making both points clearer this week in our confirmations and at check-in. Thanks again for the feedback - really useful.

Reviewed 11 April 2010

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2010

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
TraceyStayingCool, MD at Staying Cool at the Rotunda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2010

Reviewed 24 February 2010