“Great location but definitely not that comfortable”

Comfort Zone Serviced Apartments
Nottingham
“Great location but definitely not that comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

A group of 5 of us booked a 2 bedroom deluxe apartment for 2 nights. On arrival, our bill had mysteriously gone up by £10 but this was soon rectified when we queried it. Check in was swift and we soon had the keys to our apartment. Once in there, we immediately noticed that there was an odd smell - a bit like urine mixed with cigarette smoke. Upon further inspection, we noticed that the laminate floor in the kitchen was damaged (most likely a leak from the sink, dishwasher or washing machine. We couldn't shut the lounge window properly, the bedroom curtains were hanging off the rails and there was what looked like sick down the side of the sink. Later that night, one of the blinds fell off the wall when we tried to shut it. Hardly what you expect from a Deluxe apartment. We reported these problems to reception the next day and we were promised that all these issues would be fixed while we were out - when we returned the blind was still exactly where we had left it but at least the sink had been cleaned.

All those issues aside, the location is excellent - very quiet and just behind the Mailbox - and you can park for free at the weekend just across the main road on Cregoe Street. Obviously I appreciate that apartments like this are subject to a lot of wear and tear, but a bit of attention to detail would have ensured that most of the problems we encountered would already have been resolved, or at least flagged to us on check in. For the location alone, I'd go back, but I'd make sure reception knew of any issues as soon as we checked in so we wouldn't be blamed for them

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corinne76

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed here for three weeks. It was perfect for us - brilliant location and very good service!
Internet connection and hot water not always perfect, but all in all great value for money!!

• Stayed September 2013
Crawley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have been coming to this apartment from almost 1 year. The facilities are very good for two person. You wont feel that you miss your home. I have used this service apartment both for my personal visit and official visit. The service has never let me down. Broad street and train station is just in walkable distance.

Room Tip: Rooms on Park side are quieter, but rooms at Cutlass courts are close to Broadstreet.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have been using the Comfort Zone apartments whilst I have been working in Birmingham a few days a week for some time now.

The apartments are well maintained and have all the features one needs to be comfortable away from home.

The staff are fantastic always accommodating and friendly.

I would highly recommend Comfort Zone if you are staying in Birmingham and want more room and facilities than a hotel provides. It is close to the centre of Birmingham without being in the busy areas and really easy to get to by road or from New Street Station.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Compared with other nearby apartments Comfort zone has the advantage of secure parking and goos free wifi. The apartments are clean and spacious with everything you would expect from serviced facilities. Staff very responsive and friendly and the express check in and check out makes the whole stay effortless. The Granville Road site is very quiet for somewhere so central. Washer dryer is good for small amounts of laundry but bring your own washing tablets or ask for a cup of detergent from reception if you need it as there is none in the apartment.

Chichester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and daughter and son in law and my nearly year old grandson stayed for 3 nights, booked through hoseasons they quoted us wrong price for parking, but lucky comfort zone did not charge us their extra rate also we never knew what the place was called just had the street where it was so finding it was a bit hard.
First impressions bit shabby needs some TLC and things need replacing torn chair which they took away on day 2 which I then asked for it back as there was nowhere for all of us to sit, there was no cot on arrival they blamed hoseasons for that one was brought we had to move furniture around in the bedroom to get the cot in, which I have to say was a bit grubby, the blinds need to be replaced very grubby.
Liked the apartment it was clean as my grandson is crawling and he seemed clean from that
What I am confused about though is the £500 we had frozen and then they took £50 out for a cracked tile in the bathroom which I must add was not done by us I have had a picture sent to us it looks like a scratch to me my telephone conversations with the staff and manager I found them to be not helpful at all, I am fighting this as I'm a person if I've done something I will say, I'm not being blamed for something I have not done so beware people if you stay here take pictures before you leave your only prove I won't be staying here again that's for sure

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
ComfortZoneTeam, General Manager at Comfort Zone Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Debbie H,

Thank you taking time out to make this review. We do take Customer satisfaction seriously. In your case the booking was complicated in That Hoseasons are the only agency who do not release the full name of our hotel to guests and therefore some guests do find it difficult locating us. They do class us as Mailbox Apartments even though we are a 2 minute walk from there. We are addressing this with them to rename the apartment more clearly.

We also take cleanliness seriously and if you had reported dirty blinds to us we would have cleaned or replaced them, however this was not reported during the stay period.

We do take up to a £500 deposit from guests to cover damage and losses from the apartment. We clarified that upon departure our cleaners will check the apartment and any damage to the apartment would be charged for at a cost to rectify the damage. We did notify you of the damage and emailed the photos to you. You denied any knowledge of the damage. You also requested to send your friend to the apartment to check the damage, which we agreed however no one turned up to inspect the damage. We have only charged £50 which was the cost of materials and labour. As you can imaging it was very difficult to find an exact match and have not charged you for loss of revenue as a result of the apartment being un rentable due to the damage for a couple of days.

We do not deliberately hold deposits for the sake of it, however you can understand that we get hundreds of guests visiting every month and have to insure the apartments are maintained to a good standard.

Kind Regards
Comfort Zone Apartments

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here with three friends at the end of April, we booked to stay here for one night as we were down for Beyonce's concert at the LG Arena. The apartment was spacious, modern and clean, though the sofa was a bit tatty.

The only downsides were the TV didn't work - we weren't there to watch TV but there was no ipod dock as is detailed on their website (another downside) so we wanted to put one of the music channels on while we were getting ready. Someone came up from reception and fixed it after about 10 mins. He also promised to bring an ipod dock up, but never reappeared. The blinds on the windows were damaged so we had to tell reception about that in case it affected our deposit. There was also a dirty mattress propped up in the main hallway of the apartment block that should have either been put away out of sight in a cupboard or chucked out.

Overall, nice enough place and good value for money but the £350 deposit is a little excessive. I wouldn't stay here again, I think you could get somewhere just as nice with all amenities promised and a lower deposit for a similar price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends