“Great location”

Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The apartments are in a good location and easy to find when driving into Birmingham. I found the staff friendly and helpful. Our apartment was clean, spacious and modern. I was pleased that we had a quiet room as requested not facing the Arcadian centre. Would defiantly use Staycity again when visiting Birmingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room not facing the Arcadian centre. Its a bit more private as well.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time, to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the StayCity Serviced Apartments whilst visiting family in Birmingham, having travelled from Australia. We had a two bed, two bath apartment, and had no trouble at all. The rooms were large and clean, and we had every need catered for. There was a washing machine/dryer so that I could keep up with our washing (important with two small children!), and the kitchen was equipped with a microwave, fridge-freezer, toaster, cooker and kettle, plus a full complement of crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils.

Some of the other reviews have mentioned the noise, but even on Friday and Saturday night this wasn't enough to disturb us or the children. I have sleep problems and take sleeping tablets on occasion, but I did not need to take them at any point during our stay.

If I was being really picky, the WiFi connection was slower than we are used to, but in the bedroom it was fine, and actually I wasn't supposed to have been working anyway!

We will definitely stay here the next time that we are in the UK.

Room Tip: We had room 23 which was a 2 bed 2 bath room. It was quiet and clean and was on the corner so we ha...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The set up of this apartment structure is very well organised and ideal for both business and pleasure. I have now stayed there 2 and have asked the business travel organiser to facilitate my stay here every time and if I am in another part of the country they are to check if there is a division of staycity in that area. Huge amount of space compared to a hotel room and as for reviews saying noisy etc...it never happens and the staff are fantastic. One example being at 11 o clock at night the battery died on the tv remote, went down to see if they had any which they did and just sorted it with no bother as they had to unscrew the back of the remote to fit the batteries.
I can sum my recent stays up in one word..Superb.

Room Tip: Go for the Patio facing area, and utilise the secure parking discounted rate.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'd read reviews here which talk about unhelpful, surly staff and noisy rooms so was dreading this trip. However, we were check in by a lovely, helpful lady who could not have been nicer and on request of a 'quite room' given a room on the 6th floor. The room was as expected - we've stayed in Staycity apartments in other locations, and had everything we needed.

The location of the apartments is very central, and right in the middle of the 'entertainment area' so yes, there are a lot of young people checking in to spend a night on the town (and nothing wrong with that!), but our room as probably the quietest city centre accommodation we've had. After an evening out, we all had a great nice sleep, and never heard a peep from other guests.

My only small grumble was we did walk around in circles for 20 minutes trying to find the apartment - the entrance is upstairs in the Arcadia Centre, and only has a small sign on the wall up the stairs. They could do with some sort of signage on the street to point to the location. Other than that, we had a great time. Even the sofa bed was comfy (I have been relegated to sofa bed all over the UK and Europe, so finding a comfortable once is a god send!)

We had a great time in Birmingham, and enjoyed our stay at Staycity. Would definitely stay again (and ask for the same quiet room).

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, 6th floor rooms 79 or 80 are far enough from the bars, and other guests to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stay. Any negative reviews on Tripadvisor are very subjective, and as you can see the majority of our guests, have a great stay like yourself, with lots of positive things to say.
I am sorry to hear you had trouble finding us, we do provide clear directions on our website, and in a pre arrival email or, any member of my team would have been happy to give directions over the phone.
Thank you once again for your review, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Lets start with the positive, these apartments have a great potential and can be the best place too stay in city if managed well but you are in for a shocker as far management and staff are concerned.

I booked my one bed appartment a few days before my arrival date and I was told check-in date is 2:30 PM. I reached there in time and:

1. there was a massive queue to check in. We had to wait for 70 minutes before being served at the reception. Most in the queue complained and the staff simply said its not their fault although (i) their systems were too slow (ii) they were extremely relaxed with no care for people waiting and (iii) at the end of the day it is there problem as they were under staff and needed more than 2 people to serve customers. I have read other negative reviews at StayCity Manager has conveniently stated that since their place is very popular so it is busy and hence not their problem if customers have to queue up for long times. Well, if this is the attitude from Management, I can see why reception staff said the same nonsense.

2. Shocker ALERT! - After a long wait when it came to our turn at 3:40 (70 minutes after checkin time), we were told that there is no one bed appartment available. I told them I had booked 2 days earlier and its already more than an hour later than the checkin time but they simply said that no one bed room appartment is available and they will let us know when one is made available after it is vacated and cleaned. As frustrating as it was, I asked for a time frame and they said it can take any amount of time and they can not provide when will the room be ready. We had to leave and go around see the city when later they called and said you can now come in and do the checkin and a room has been cleared. When I got into the room, the notice on back of the door explained the situation. They allow customers to over stay in their room beyond the check out time at paying £10/ hour. So even if you have booked a room, you can not expect your room to be ready for you to go in at check in time as the person already in the toom might just pay 10/20 quids and over stay and they will happily take that money, knowing that you have booked the room, have no option and will take the room after a few hours anyway. Double earning you see.

3. The sink / wash basin in wash room was locked and just filled up. I called for help but was told everything is fine and there should be no problem. I had to manually pull and push the closing lid in sink to take it out to later the water release.

4. The shower only released boiling hot water and you can not mix cold water.

Please check other negative reviews. A lot of people have raised the same complaints as these and have received a response from the Manager boasting about popularity of this place suggesting its so popular and busy that this happens.

This was the most shocking experience I have ever had at any hotel of being told that the room I booked is not available.

Room Tip: Try on the back, the front is extremely noisy and you can not sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexpressed
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review, of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that you had to wait to check in, our check time is from 2.30pm, and unfortunately we had nearly 20 apartments trying to check in at this time on the day in question. I do not believe I have stated that this is not our problem, we are happy to welcome guests from 2.30pm onwards, it is unfortunate that we can not predict when guest's will arrive to check in. I would be happy to discuss this further with you directly, if you require further clarification for the reasons of our business and popularity.
Unfortunately, on occasions we do have guests departing later than 11.00am, and leaving apartments requiring extensive cleaning, which therefore can delay the turnaround time, as we work hard to maintain our high quality standards. The night before your arrival we were fully booked, and as stated previously, we had many guest's arriving at 2.30pm to check in, so I can only apologise for any inconvenience.
The sink plug you refer to, is a pop up plug, that needs to be pressed to release it, I am sorry if this was not explained to you. I am also sorry that you could not understand the instructions for the operation of the shower's control knob, which once turned, does mix in cold water. I am sure any member of my team would have been happy to assist if asked.
I am sorry that you feel the need to be negative about the popularity of Staycity Serviced Apartments Birmingham, as you can see we have had many positive reviews, and during busy times, our reception can be busy with check in's, it is the nature of our business and I hope you now have a little more understanding.
We are constantly monitoring our check in procedure, and are working hard to streamline the process when ever possible. I do hope you do not judge us too harshly in this instance and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit Staycity in the future to demonstrate our usual high standards.

Regards

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stay away with work alot and this was by far the best accommodation I've ever stayed in. Home from home with everything you need to stay in and cook of an evening. Rooms comfy and spacious, well furnished. Front desk staff very obliging and friendly, nothing was a problem. Secure parking which is a bonus in the city centre! Great location, plenty of restaurant and bars within 100yds. Would highly recommend and book in again!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank mileseast
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have stayed here more than once but while I liked it the first time when I had a balcony looking over the city, I wasn't so impressed with the courtyard because of all the shared noise from everyone's open doors. The apartments are modern and clean but they are boiling hot in summer so you need the door open which is why noise is a problem, particularly if there is a party or group staying next door or above you depending on the floor you are on.
There are apparently breakfast vouchers but you have to collect them from reception and when I did get my egg bap and coffee from the urban kitchen I have to say it was disappointing because the egg was covered in crap from the frying pan. Staycity could have done better here as Birmingham is full of good eateries.
Staff were helpful and friendly, but even though I stayed for a week no one cleaned my room in the whole time so they are not exactly 'serviced' unless you pay extra. So if you are travelling alone you might be better off in a hotel as you will get the room cleaned and get breakfast.

Room Tip: Try and get one on the 6th floor overlooking the city and not the courtyard. Otherwise you'll ha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with a courtyard facing apartment, as these are our most popular. Should you have requested a City facing apartment, we would have been happy to allocate you one, although as with any apartment, we can not control outside noise, being a city centre location.

We have found that the unseasonably warm weather, recently has meant that guest's, will leave their balcony doors open, should you have preferred to keep yours closed so as to not hear your neighbours, we would have been happy to provide you with a fan.

Regarding the breakfast offering, I will pass on your comments, to the provider who we use due to their immediate location, to save guests having to walk a distance. You were very kind to mention how helpful and friendly my team are, and should any issue have been highlighted during your stay, we would have been more than happy to try and rectify them.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and if it wasn’t for constructive feedback like yours, we would not be able to learn, evaluate and improve, so thank you for making us aware of your frustrations.

Regards