“Poor customer service”

Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Staycity apartments Edinburgh and was pleasantly blown away by the apartments and the exceptional customer service, so I decided to stay at the one in Birmingham....BIG MISTAKE as the poor customer service let it down.

The room was ok, a few broken bits in the kitchen, a toilet that didn't flush, but was later fixed after notifying maintenance. Crap showers that trickle out water (so don't expect a power shower). Apart from being next door to a bunch of racist German men who were there working on the Christmas markets, it was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it or stay here again.

The staff were the least attentive and couldn't care less about whether or not your happy with the service. Our complaints went overlooked and it simply wasn't worth the money. With Birmingham being a bit of a dump anyway, the last thing I expected on a weekend away was the lack of customer care from a bunch of miserable staff.

Stay away as there are better places to stay in Birmingham.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Latifah25
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Latifah25

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review, following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read these damning comments, in light of my team being very respondent to any issues highlighted during your stay.

In regards to the toilet flush and the shower, these were checked immediately on you reporting a fault, and both were checked by my team to be fully working. In terms of broken items in the kitchen, nothing was highlighted during your stay, and my maintenance team were told by your group everything else was fine, so I am somewhat confused as to what is being referred to?

I assume the comments regarding poor customer service, are based on the fact that we would not allow you to bring additional, unregistered guests into the apartment, late at night as per our terms and conditions. Anybody, reading our genuine reviews will see great comments about our customer service such as 'Great staff', 'Reception staff are excellent'. I can only assume your comments are based on the conflict you created with my team late at night, who were just doing their job, and I believe were very pleasant in explaining our terms to you.

I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations, and that your idea of good customer service is only from staff that would allow you to break the terms and condition of your stay. Furthermore, I do not condone racist comments towards my staff, and I stand by their decision to refuse entry for extra guests.

James Gwilliam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The staff really made all the difference and were quite helpful. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. We were there for 14 nights and used the kitchen and washing machine etc, so it really helped having those facilities. The bed was large and comfortable. When we first tried, the hot water in the shower didn't turn on, but that was remedied immediately and with courtesy - well done. Also, the light in the bedroom went out, but that was changed within 5 minutes of me calling the front desk. Really amazingly fast and efficient service. The staff were about the best of any hotel I've stayed in recently, like having the staff of a Four Seasons pamper you without paying Four Seasons prices. Really appreciated their warm service and smiles. Would definately stay their again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

great place to stay, my sisters and I always stay here when we go to Birmingham for the german Christmas market (which is a must by the way) the apartments are always spotless and comfortable and have every creature comfort you want from your own home, a few minutes walk from the city centre, highly recommended.

Room Tip: book early for the Christmas market
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have been staying at these apartments for the last 4 years when on business in Birmingham and I can recommend them. The apartments are clean and tidy, well appointed with a decent kitchen and a washing machine if you need it. You can usually pick them up for the price of a normal hotel room but with these you get a separate living/dining room (with the kitchen at the top end), and then the bedroom. They all have balconies, although the quality of the view will vary according to which way you face (towards the centre of Birmingham or away), and what floor you are on. The apartments are located in the Arcadian centre which is home to many restaurants and is part of the chinese quarter of Birmingham, so you can get decent takeaway and sit down meals without venturing too far from your apartment.

Reception staff are excellent, I had a problem with a booking this time round and they sorted it out quickly and professionally...

At night there can be noise outside, and I guess this is more of an issue at the weekend than during the week when it's just a few noisy revellers walking home. There is always that trade off between being in the city and having that noise.

So overall I can recommend these serviced apartments, clean, well appointed, good staff, great location and much more flexibility than a standard hotel room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing into the Arcadian centre have a better view of the city skyline but are noisier, those...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew P
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Matthew P
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you experienced our high quality of service, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Clean and well set out close parking friendly will recommend to friends and family close to bullring and city centre free wifi tv etc balcony for smokers and to relax weather permitting restaurants close by and also bars

• Stayed November 2013
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We looked at so many different hotels in Birmingham, but very few actual hotels could actually accommodate a family of 5 ( maximum occupancy tends to be 4). We opted for the stay city apartments and were so glad we came across them. We stayed 2 nights and found the reception staff to be polite and helpful, the apartments clean, spacious, well furnished and located right in the centre of town. Perfect for our needs and will certainly use this option again if the need arises!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Karen H
London
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I am writing this review at 3.37am which probably tells you everything you need to know. It is Friday night and there are a couple of clubs below - still playing music and spilling fighting punters onto the street. Also, due to perhaps a combination of the location & the cheap price, a lot of fellow residents are slamming doors, knocking on mine & smoking & screaming on their balconies. There were no real problems on the Thursday night but Friday night is quite unbearable.

The rooms themselves are clean and comfortable - I'm on the sofa bed in the lounge & it's comfy. The proximity to New Street station & the shops is really useful.

Check-in took ages. At one point there were 3 members of staff helping one group of men who spoke limited English (note to Staycity staff-shouting louder won't help them understand) and no one acknowledged us, offered to help or even gave us a quick "I'll be with you in a minute" so we waited for 15 minutes. The staff we've seen since have been friendly & polite.

I think it's an okay place to stay midweek or at the weekend if you want to be out till 4am & drunk (it seems good for hen/stag parties) It's quite good value too but considering I only wanted a place to sleep, I'm not really getting my money's worth.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank 81London
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear 81London

thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found our City Centre location good, but then confused as to why you would state it as being noisy.

We are located in Birmingham's vibrant Arcadian Centre, which is a very popular City centre location. We have many different apartments, with various aspects, and should have you informed us, we would have been happy to offer an alternative, if you were not happy with the noise from the City. Furthermore, should you have informed my team, of any nuisance guest's, these would have been dealt with swiftly, as we expect all guest's to be respectful to each other.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments.

Regards