“Terrible customer service”

Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at the apartments for my hen do. My sister had planned the weekend for me and 20 friends. She ensured she had all the arrangements in place for check in at 1 for just one room so we could get ready for our first thing at 3.30. My sister even called that week to confirm.
When we got there, no rooms were ready as promised. We had to wait nearly an hour. Then when we went to check in to the other rooms before we left, none of them were ready either. The staff were good but it showed there had been no communication. We gad to check in when we came back from our night out and even at that time there was bedding missing from the rooms!
Afterwards my sister complained to management. They were rude, unhelpful and showed terrible customer service. Not apologising to her once or taking responsibility. Its a shame because the apartments were nice and in a good location but definitely not value for money in terms of our experience and treatment. I wont be staying there again and I dont think anyone from the rest of the group will either.

• Stayed: March 2014
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear emilyjhancock89

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns, following your recent stay with us. I am sorry for any confusion regarding an early check in, unfortunately we can never guarantee this at weekends, but will always attempt to meet requests. I am happy that we were able to provide an apartment for your group to get ready in before check in time.

I am also pleased that you found my team good, and that the apartments are nice and in a good location. It is just a pity that the early check in miscommunication had caused such upset, and I am sorry if you thought management were rude and unhelpful, this is not how we wish to appear and we worked very hard to ensure that we have some apartments ready for your early arrival. I hope the free breakfast for your group, went some way to apologising for any miscommunication.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and would return. Well appointed, friendly and helpful staff, clean and quiet situated in a lively part of town. Spoilt for choice regarding restaurants all within a few minutes stroll.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great location, on top of nightclubs yet well insulated from the noise, great staff and even better rates. I really enjoyed the stay and how the staff would go above and beyond for you. The Place is clean and has all you need for a stay in brum. You are slap bang in the middle of all the night life with Arcadia on the doorstep (literally) Bullring shopping literally around the corner Digbeth the artistic central of brum again around another corner top place and far away from broad street as possible thank my lucky stars

Room Tip: Apartment/ hotel no swimming pool or room service but a great place to stay I have rated 5 stars as...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Parma S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read your fantastic comments, and I hope we can welcome you back to Staycity soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The location is so convenient with the station very close and bars/restaurants/shops etc. all on the doorstep. Apartment itself was spacious, clean and modern. Staff were very polite and helpful. Mainly groups of young people use these apartments, so it's a little noisy at weekends, but as long as you don't mind that this is one of the best value apartments we have stayed at.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was slightly worried when I read the last few less than brilliant reviews, but the price and the location swayed me to give Staycity a go, and I wasn't left disappointed. The location for central Birmingham is perfect, dedicated car parking (though we managed to miss this, but hotel staff provided us with a ticket for the exit barrier so we did not have to move the car), the surroundings can be busy but in a central Birmingham location you can't expect much less to be fair. The entrance and foyer area of the hotel was clean and the staff welcomed us as we arrived. The check in procedure is a little heavy - terms and conditions of stay etc and the requirement to pay a deposit, but not surprising considering that this is not a hotel and I imagine they get plenty of issues with theft or illicit parties that leave damage behind. Once checked in and deposit reserved on credit card, we were given our keycard and took the lift to our apartment. The apartment in general was clean, tidy and well presented - mainstream 'modern' decoration but everything required in terms of furniture or equipment and I would say that the photos are indicative of the true quality of apartment. I was surprised when we arrived - I have been in flats that are half the size! We didn't really make full use of the apartment as we were only staying for one night so did not do any cooking or similar, but it all seemed in good order and clean. Our apartment faced inward to the courtyard area and I can honestly say I did not hear any noise from anywhere.The only critical comments I could give on the apartment were that the shower was a little weak and the beds were bit soft and springy but nothing like as bad as a travelodge bed and I have slept in plenty of those! Checkout procedure was quick and easy the next morning. Check-in times of 3pm and checkout of 11am are pretty normal for hotels in the area and in general, so can't complain about those. All in all, a very good stay, I would definitely recommend - for business or for family use. I will use StayCity again in the future, the price is very good value compared to a standard hotel room, and the quality of what you receive far outweighs a typical travelodge existence.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I studied in Birmingham and I definitely will recommend Staycity in Birmingham due to its location at Arcadian Centre which restaurants are so easily accessed and walking distance only took 5-10 minutes to Bullring or City Centre.

What i didn't like about is the late check-in hour, we have to pay GBP2.00 to keep our luggage there. The Apartments were huge with deep corridor to reach our room.

the room is spacious for three of us and nice equipped kitchen. Laundry and ironing board were provided. Overall it was a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Chinsinvoon

I am sorry to here you do not agree with the charge for holding luggage, but this is for a secure locker as we have limited storage facilities. I am also sorry you do not agree with our 3pm check in time, this is quite standard for UK hotels, and should we have had an apartment ready earlier, would have been more than happy to check you in.

I am pleased that overall you had a great stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed for one night as we were in town for a hen do. There were around 20 of us. We were promised 1 apartment at 1pm so we could get ready and the rest of the apartments to be available for 3pm. The first apartment was not ready until 1:30pm. We had to leave at 3:30pm to commence the hen do activities. The rest of the apartments were not ready by then! We were not able to check in until after the night out! It was very frustrating coming back at 2am, a little bit merry, and having to move our stuff around to the correct apartments! To make matters worse, some rooms were missing spare duvets to use on sofa beds so we had to take separate trips (only one duvet per person allowed apparently) to pick these up from reception. Overall, our experience at the apartments was awful due to the terrible service provided!

• Stayed: March 2014
Staycity_Birmingham, General Manager at Staycity Aparthotels Arcadian Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Dominika

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were not happy with the service provided. Our check in time is from 3pm, but will always try to accommodate an earlier check in where possible. As you were a group of ladies, we worked hard to ensure we allocated your group, apartments next to each other. Due to previous guests departing late, we pulled in extra staff to ensure one apartment was ready, as close as possible to your request of 1pm for one apartment. Unfortunately, in the rush to ensure this apartment was ready for you, my team missed the additional duvet in the one apartment.

For the other apartments, we had apartments available for you to check in at 3pm, but this meant we would have split your group up, and we wanted to ensure you were close together as requested, therefore ensuring these apartments were ready just after 3pm, to which you informed us at the time, was not a problem as you were all going out.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused, we will always work hard to meet any requests, and I hope the complimentary breakfast went some way to offering an apology.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review.

Regards