“Convenient, but deteriorating fast since Ibis takeover”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport
Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Convenient, but deteriorating fast since Ibis takeover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years due to its convenience right next to Birmingham Airport. However, standards have dropped each time I visit. At the outset, before Ibis took it over, it was really nice. They even provided miniature shampoo and conditioner bottles to welcome the visitor, It was of a far higher standard than Etap Hotels in France. This last time was, however, my worst experience there. There were so many problems that it is quite beyond belief that it happened at a hotel that can sometimes cost over £80 a night, although it was only £26 that I paid thanks to a special Winter discount. These were the problems : My room door card refused to open the lift or the stair doors; I had to swipe it about 20 - 30 times to open my room and the following morning, despite having been given 2 new cards, none of them opened my door and an employee had to use his mastercard to open it for me; the heating which comes from the air conditioner did not work at all so that it was uncomfortably cold in the middle of a frosty night; the window was not soundproofed so that I could clearly hear motorway traffic all night; and one of the towels had somebody else's dry.skin all over it so that when I tried to sue it to dry myself, my arm became covered with that dry skin. They had upgraded the TV system since my previous visits, but now, even thiugh they have far more channels, they have no foreign-language channels at all. They used to have TV5 from France. This is an Airport after all. There should be loads of foreign channels surely. Also, the Internet is super slow (you have to pay for a faster connection) and YouTube videos cannot be viewed.

At breakfast time, there was a large group of Eastern Europeans in the breakfast area fingering all the food and not using the tongs that had been placed there to handle the croissants, cakes etc. The orange-juice machine is located behind a thick pillar so that you can't easily get at it whereas the glasses and mugs are hiding under the table in such a way that they are invisible.

In my opinion, this hotel falls well below expected standards for the usually high price that they charge. After all, I am on my way to Thailand and there, I can stay in an absolutely beautiful guesthouse with character with none of the afore-mentioned problems for as little a £5 a night.

The worst thing that ever happened to Etap was the Ibis takeover. I hate to think what further deterioration there will be by next time. Maybe I should look for a different place to hangout or time my flights so that no overnight stay is necessary in Birmingham.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Robert_Veldtman, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review- we value your feedback.

I was disappointed to learn that your stay did not exceed your expectations, and for this I would like to offer my sincere apologies. We have noted your comments, and are working hard to improve on the points that you have raised.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to reinstate your faith in us.

Robert Veldtman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Booked online. Didnt realise I had clicked the wrong box until I got an email in november reminding me I had booked for next day, when I had booked for January. Do not get your booking wrong, there is never an answer on the hotel phone and the 'hub' number is premium rate and the operators are slooooow. Otherwise no gripes apart from only 2 sockets in the room , a bit if a poser if you have 2 phones and a tablet to top up. Dining is priceyeverywhere of course but the Ibis next door is not bad.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert_Veldtman, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I would like to apologise for the telephone issue you experienced. Our telephoned are manned 24 hours on site, and I am currently looking into the matter to improve our consistency of service.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Colchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Good cheap hotel, spotlessly clean, comfortable bed, basic but great value for money, within walking distance of airport and the shuttle which takes you to the NEC,have stayed here twice now and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

We are very pleased with your wonderful feedback. Thank you for your comments. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.