“Great place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed for 1 night after a business trip and before a trip to Cadbury World. Very friendly staff. The room was large and had all we needed. Breakfast was brilliant, some lovely specials - we had smoked haddock topped with a poached egg, plus all the usual cereals, yogurts, fruit etc. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear jaxval
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Your comments have been passed to all departments. We would love to see you again
Debra Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Have stayed for one night only as it is close to my Birmingham office.

What a dreadful place. I will never return.

It was a hottest day of this summer and I have been allocated room in the attic somewhere! Walked in and simply could not breathe as it was unbearably hot. Have requested another room so they have stuck me in the basement. The room was next to some hotel offices. There were two other rooms there with some poor souls like me suffering in their rooms. There was no sound insulation between rooms at all!! I could virtually hear my neighbour breathing heavily. Heard him snoring as well. :-)

I could not be bothered to ask for another room as it was late and I was exhausted. The bed was single and tiny. Cannot remember when I slept in single bed last time! It was hard and lumpy. Pillows were awful. Bathroom was small but ok.

Did not have food there.

In the morning I had to argue for about 15 minutes about my bill. My company uses this hotel regularly and always settle all bills beforehand. Receptionist was insisting that I had to pay. In the end they have managed to find all payment info.

Please avoid this hotel.

3 Thank XseniaX
Dear XseniaX
Please accept my apologies for the heat in the rooms you experienced. I appreciate it was a very hot time of the year and although we would have loved to have had the windows open for some fresh air prior to your arrival, security issues prevent us from doing this. I have also spoken to Reception and I can only apologise for the confusion upon checkout. Please rest assured this wont happen again
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We had a comfortable stay one Friday night while visiting family. The price was very reasonable. The room was large, which we like, and there was a sofa and a chair, which is unusual in our price-range. We spent very little time in the hotel but we we would definitely stay here again. The breakfast was excellent. On the down side - which didn't affect us very much - was that many of the rooms are in outbuildings several yards away from the main building which has the restaurant and bar and reception.

Room Tip: We were in the Morlands building, which has a separate carpark much nearer than the main one.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rod H
Dear Rod H
Thank you so much for your excellent response. I am so please you liked your room and had a great breakfast. We would love to welcome you back again
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is in a lovely area.
The rooms are ok, except the curtain was falling off the rail - and the room generally didn't look like it had been decorated for a very long time. There was only one really thin pillow on the bed. And the bathroom window didn't open. Oh and my sheet had a big dirty mark on it...
The breakfast was delicious and lots of it.
Check-in is pretty awful though... we arrived exhausted after a long journey and we were bombarded with questions and wanting extra money from us - I couldn't understand what the receptionist was saying really... I'm not sure her English was too good, or maybe it was just I was just too tired to get my head round what she was saying...
It was really empty in the hotel and it wasn't a very good atmosphere.

Room Tip: There are a couple of rooms with balconies. Mine wasn't one of them, but I was next door to tho...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Claire111Bear
Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. I have personally checked your room and would like to re-assure you the maintenance issues have been corrected and there are always extra pillows in the wardrobes. I'm really pleased that you too have a really great breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

The staff at the Beeches were all really helpful. It has excellent Conference facilities. The rooms were adequate and the breakfast was a real treat. I was very disappointed not to have wifi in my room although the staff did everything possible to try to make it happen

Room Tip: I had a small double with patio doors and a balcony overlooking the lawns. wonderful
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Carol K
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It is wonderful to receive great feedback about our staff and facilities and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Beeches on a future visit
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Although the rooms were small, and the shower even smaller. The single room was very clean and the wifi was fantastic.

Breakfast was lovely - buffet would be better, but staff very attentive and helpful. For the low price , a great little stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Graham S
Thank you for taking the time to place your review
I am pleased to read that although the room was small, it was clean with great facilities. I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast and you will be pleased to know that on the 15th July, we are launching our new menu, on which the buffet choice will be upgraded with fruits, yoghurts etc and also introducing a continental cold meats and cheese platter. I hope you can join us......
Regards
Chorley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights at The Beeches because a conference was being held there.

I have stayed at The Beeches several times all work related and you can have a variety of accommodation - from the good to the well below average. Unfortunately the room I was allocated this time can best be described as a cupboard, very small with a sloping ceiling. To get into the bathroom I had to lean to the left because of the slope in the doorway. There was no where in the bathroom to put toiletries except on the sink. The sound insulation was virtually non existent so I could hear everything from next door. However, other rooms I have stayed in at The Beeches have been much better so you take your chance!

Everything is clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the food has always been fine. The prices are competitive.

The place is off the beaten track in the middle of the Bournville estate. Cadbury World is within easy walking distance. Bournville railway station is a 15/20 minute walk with train services to Birmingham New Street running every 10 minutes or so. There is plenty of free parking in front of the building, except when a conference is being held and then you may have to park on the street.

Whilst it is convenient to stay here when conferences are being held, I personally wouldn't stay here for leisure.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AggyGuy
Dear AggyGuy
Thank you very much for writing a review on the Beeches. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities and that the Beeches was clean with friendly staff and good food. It sounds as though your bedroom was one allocated in the eaves of the original house. There are a couple of rooms with sloping ceilings up there. Unfortunately due to the layout of the building we are unable to change these, but as you rightly put, the price reflects this and offers value for money. We look forward to seeing you again, where hopefully you will have a better room