“Good "old fashioned" servce” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beeches

The Beeches
Ranked #89 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
York, United Kingdom
“Good "old fashioned" servce”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here last night after taking over 3 hours to get here from York because of all the road closures.

Nearly midnight when we got here. So,late, fed up, raining and us probably ready to take out our mood on anyone who got it wrong
This place didn't! A great welcome, and the guy on reception was brilliant and sorted us out and made us feel very welcome and important. Offered to carry all our stuff in too.

Great staff at breakfast too. All really good with customers - very attentive and helpful.

Must mention the guy taking orders too! I have been in sales and marketing all my life, but this guy's customer- facing skills were exceptional! Nothing too much trouble to help with and especially good a being polite and friendly and really good at respecting personal space.

Owner! Put some golden handcuffs on him and keep him as long as you can. He can go far, with his skills.

This is not the best hotel I've ever stayed in - nowhere gets everything right - but these people really deserve a great review for trying their darndest to look after customers the best they can.

Well done!

Room Tip: Ask for one -they'll probably do the best they can
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ian S
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Ian S
Thank you so much for your wonderful response. I am thrilled that we ticked so many boxes for you and I am glad we had the opportunity to discuss this upon your departure. I have passed all you wonderful comments onto both gentlemen concerned who were very grateful of the feedback and acknowledgement.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you on a future visit
Debra Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have just spent 3 days at the beaches for a training course and I must say it is fantastic value for money. Beautiful food. Very friendly staff who are always willing to help And a very relaxed atmosphere. I am looking forward to staying here again and all ready planning my next stay.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear dazza991.
Wow!! What can I say except thank you so much for your fantastic review.
It looks like we ticked all the boxes for you throughout your stay. All the staff and myself are thrilled and say a huge thank you to you.
Regards
Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Went to the Beeches for an all day business meeting. It was basic and functional but slightly dated. We had a buffet lunch in the restaurant and there was a good selection of both hot and cold food.
The service was good throughout the day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Allblack66.
Thank you for writing your review. It is good to see you enjoyed the service and that the food was a good choice and well cooked. We are working on the dated appearance and hopefully on future visits you will be able to see the improvements we make
Bolton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here on business overnight what a mistake
Met with 3 colleagues we sat at a table in the bar area not in a conference room & they wanted £50 saying we had been there for 4 hours when in fact it was 1 hour 40 minutes with 2 people having 1 coffee each
Then we were give the keys to a room up 3 flights of twisting winding stairs, when we entered the room it was like going back to the 70s, tiny does not even come close, cheap tacky furniture, the smallest `double` bed I've ever slept in & as there was 2 of us it was uncomfortable this it not how it is portrayed on their website to be honest the best part of the whole room was the big fluffy towels
All night there was a massive extractor fan on the roof below our window I thought there was a gang of drummers drumming all night needless to say sleep was impossible
The morning came & we went for breakfast, ok there was cereals, juice & pastries but I ordered the cooked breakfast which when it came consisted of 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, egg, tablespoon of beans & half of cherry tomato at least it was warm I suppose
On checking out we were asked about our stay to which we advised to relook at the images on their website as cameras can work marvels to which the reply was `oh well we will add it to feedback`
Whatever they do with it we certainly will never stay there again

Room Tip: choose any room in another hotel not this one
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken B
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Ken B
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies if there was mis-communication between the Beeches and yourselves with regards to your meeting in our lounge. I am aware it was discussed on the day. However, I will of course I will look into all aspects of your review to ensure we learn from this and are able to move our products and services on to match the needs of the customer
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have stayed on and off at the Beeches. Never again, this quaint old house deludes itself that it is a quality location.Wrong. Tiny rooms, amateur staff, poky rooms, minute showers and an appallingly low quality breakfast means it is not worth staying there.
Year after year the cut backs have swinger quality. My most recent stay is now my last and recommendation…look anywhere but The Beeches

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Olly6
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Olly6
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you feel we have disappointed over the years and that you feel the standard has gone down. I would like to discuss these reasons with you and would hope you would give me the opportunity to put things right. I have your details, please may I call you?
Debra
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great value hotel.
Very comfortable rooms.
Food is good but very limited menu - choice of only 5 or 6 main course items - with one of these veggie - and usually one of these is not available!
Overall very good though with very helpful courteous staff.
Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear wilkeng.
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad you have found us to be good value for money with comfortable rooms and courteous staff. I appreciate your concerns over the limited menu and we will look into this to see if we can change the menu around.
york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have just returned from a planned two night stay at this hotel though I left after only one night.

In the UK and Europe I would normally stay in budget hotels like Holiday Inn Express or IBIS, so my standards are not particularly high. I expect a reasonably clean and comfortable bed and a clean room and bathroom. On the positive side the Hotel was well situated in Bournville, a very nice part of Birmingham. that is the only really nice thing I can think of.

We arrived a little before our scheduled check in time of 2pm, and were happy to wait in the lounge until a room was ready. We were less happy about the smell of rising damp which fills all the ground floor of this hotel and the dirty chairs in the lounge

We were given our key and proceeded to the top floor as directed, carrying our luggage up three flight of narrow stairs and through numerous fire-doors. There is no lift! It didn't look as though the place hadn't been renovated since the sixties. Our room was just like a student room or bed sit from the sixties or seventies.

When we arrived at the room, the room door was wedged open and we could see that the sheets and towels were in the middle of the floor and that the cleaner hadn't even started preparing / cleaning the room. The cleaner was not apologetic and we trooped back down to reception. We then left the hotel for a while to let them finish cleaning the room.

The room was REALLY tatty, much more so than any hotel has the right to be in this day and age. The carpet looked very old and dirty, and we certainly wouldn't touch the carpet with bare feet. The room generally felt so grimy we didn't feel like touching anything The chairs were also badly stained, as was the duvet cover. The mattress was really old and well overdue for replacing. The springs were sticking out and into our ribs throughout the night.

The bathroom, on the other hand, was more recently renovated, though even here there was an awful smell of dirty drains in the bathroom (this smell had gone by morning). Once in bed, there was lots of noise from the plumbing as well as from other guests, not because of bad guest behaviour, just because there was absolutely no sound insulation. I could hear the sound of snoring from a neighbour all night.

I got very little sleep and was very pleased to get out. I told reception that we would be leaving a day early and we then had breakfast elsewhere. We had no confidence in the kitchen;s state of repair or cleanliness. We were pleased to see though that the hotel did not charge for the second night. At least something positive!

On arriving home though, true to form, there was an email saying they had made a mistake and had now charged my credit card for the second night as well.

This really an awful hotel and we cannot understand how anyone could recommend it to others. We were taken in by other ridiculously positive and misleading reviews. The owners of this hotel need to arrange a major capital injection to get it up to current day standards, or else sell to a company which can. In the meantime it should be avoided!

Room Tip: Don't use the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear chrYork.
Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry you felt this way about our hotel. As you said, we do have many very positive reviews from guests who are happy with our product and the price which reflects that.
I would have loved to be given the opportunity to address and correct some of your issues at the time. We do have your contact details and I would love to discuss this with you if you are happy for me to do so?