“Exactly what it says on the tin”
Review of The Beeches

The Beeches
Ranked #88 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Some very conflicting reviews on here, however the hotel was located 3 minutes from where we need to be for a friends party so I decided to 'risk it'. It was perfectly acceptable for the price, however our room was in a newish block (superior room), double bed, desk type table area, wardrobe, bedside table, all extremely clean. Bedding was clean and ironed, pillows were comfortable though I wouldnt have wanted to sleep on the bed for more than a couple of nights. A couple of highlights to mention were the amazingly powerful shower and the fantasticly helpful waiting staff at breakfast. Breakfast was great, I only had bacon, poached egg and mushrooms and rather then just getting the standard portion of each they were doubled up so that I had more than enough.

On the downside a couple of criticisms, I mentioned that we needed a room with as few steps as possible as I had mobility issues and was assured when we booked that they would put us in the newish block so that we could park in the top car park and go through the door direct into the block from the car park (door is accessed via a ramp and comes in at 1st floor level). If we had then been in a room on that level it would have been stunning but we were downstairs, a bit of jiggling of room allocations would have made all the difference.

As other people have mentioned there seems to be little sound insulation in this block, we heard next door try to set his alarm (provided), get it wrong and it start sounding and then pulling the plug out of the wall. The room above seemed to be populated by a heard of baby elephants who kept getting up and walking across the room then back again into bed, nothing that couldn't have been avoided with good sound proofing. Could be fitted retrospectively folks and would make a huge difference.

All in all it was good value for the price and that's all you can ask for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the two story block at the back of the hotel on the upper level.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Sherrie O.
Thank you so much for your review, it is great to receive such positive feedback. I am thrilled you had a good stay and of course a wonderful breakfast served by friendly staff. I have spoken to the team that deal with room allocations. Please accept our apologies that you were not allocated a room to suit your needs.
I take on board your points about sound-proofing and this is something we will look into.
Thanks again Sherrie O.
Regards

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here last night after taking over 3 hours to get here from York because of all the road closures.

Nearly midnight when we got here. So,late, fed up, raining and us probably ready to take out our mood on anyone who got it wrong
This place didn't! A great welcome, and the guy on reception was brilliant and sorted us out and made us feel very welcome and important. Offered to carry all our stuff in too.

Great staff at breakfast too. All really good with customers - very attentive and helpful.

Must mention the guy taking orders too! I have been in sales and marketing all my life, but this guy's customer- facing skills were exceptional! Nothing too much trouble to help with and especially good a being polite and friendly and really good at respecting personal space.

Owner! Put some golden handcuffs on him and keep him as long as you can. He can go far, with his skills.

This is not the best hotel I've ever stayed in - nowhere gets everything right - but these people really deserve a great review for trying their darndest to look after customers the best they can.

Well done!

Room Tip: Ask for one -they'll probably do the best they can
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ian S
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Ian S
Thank you so much for your wonderful response. I am thrilled that we ticked so many boxes for you and I am glad we had the opportunity to discuss this upon your departure. I have passed all you wonderful comments onto both gentlemen concerned who were very grateful of the feedback and acknowledgement.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you on a future visit

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have just spent 3 days at the beaches for a training course and I must say it is fantastic value for money. Beautiful food. Very friendly staff who are always willing to help And a very relaxed atmosphere. I am looking forward to staying here again and all ready planning my next stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear dazza991.
Wow!! What can I say except thank you so much for your fantastic review.
It looks like we ticked all the boxes for you throughout your stay. All the staff and myself are thrilled and say a huge thank you to you.
Regards

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Went to the Beeches for an all day business meeting. It was basic and functional but slightly dated. We had a buffet lunch in the restaurant and there was a good selection of both hot and cold food.
The service was good throughout the day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Allblack66.
Thank you for writing your review. It is good to see you enjoyed the service and that the food was a good choice and well cooked. We are working on the dated appearance and hopefully on future visits you will be able to see the improvements we make

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here on business overnight what a mistake
Met with 3 colleagues we sat at a table in the bar area not in a conference room & they wanted £50 saying we had been there for 4 hours when in fact it was 1 hour 40 minutes with 2 people having 1 coffee each
Then we were give the keys to a room up 3 flights of twisting winding stairs, when we entered the room it was like going back to the 70s, tiny does not even come close, cheap tacky furniture, the smallest `double` bed I've ever slept in & as there was 2 of us it was uncomfortable this it not how it is portrayed on their website to be honest the best part of the whole room was the big fluffy towels
All night there was a massive extractor fan on the roof below our window I thought there was a gang of drummers drumming all night needless to say sleep was impossible
The morning came & we went for breakfast, ok there was cereals, juice & pastries but I ordered the cooked breakfast which when it came consisted of 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, egg, tablespoon of beans & half of cherry tomato at least it was warm I suppose
On checking out we were asked about our stay to which we advised to relook at the images on their website as cameras can work marvels to which the reply was `oh well we will add it to feedback`
Whatever they do with it we certainly will never stay there again

Room Tip: choose any room in another hotel not this one
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ken B
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Ken B
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies if there was mis-communication between the Beeches and yourselves with regards to your meeting in our lounge. I am aware it was discussed on the day. However, I will of course I will look into all aspects of your review to ensure we learn from this and are able to move our products and services on to match the needs of the customer

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have stayed on and off at the Beeches. Never again, this quaint old house deludes itself that it is a quality location.Wrong. Tiny rooms, amateur staff, poky rooms, minute showers and an appallingly low quality breakfast means it is not worth staying there.
Year after year the cut backs have swinger quality. My most recent stay is now my last and recommendation…look anywhere but The Beeches

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Olly6
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Olly6
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you feel we have disappointed over the years and that you feel the standard has gone down. I would like to discuss these reasons with you and would hope you would give me the opportunity to put things right. I have your details, please may I call you?
Debra

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great value hotel.
Very comfortable rooms.
Food is good but very limited menu - choice of only 5 or 6 main course items - with one of these veggie - and usually one of these is not available!
Overall very good though with very helpful courteous staff.
Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
DebraJonesBeeches, General Manager at The Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear wilkeng.
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad you have found us to be good value for money with comfortable rooms and courteous staff. I appreciate your concerns over the limited menu and we will look into this to see if we can change the menu around.