“Perfect for a flying visit”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #23 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect for a flying visit”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

As we were attending the cruise show, we decided to stay overnight close to the NEC so we didn't have to leave home early in the morning. All we were looking for was a clean and comfortable room to sleep in. When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised, considering the amount we paid. The size was ample for our needs, and was actually a better size than some 4* hotels we have stayed in. The bed was firm and the pillow lacking so I had to fold the pillow in half to get comfortable, saying that I had an excellent nights sleep. Sadly the a/c did not work in our room, so we had to open the window, as the hotel is located on the airport site, there was some aircraft noise, but we didn't mind that. The breakfast was another pleasant surprise with plenty of options and the food was hot. Overall I was impressed by my stay and if needs be would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Many thanks for your comments, I am happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport again very soon.

Acting General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed here overnight as flight from France was too late to connect to Dublin flight. Did not expect much. Plan was for myself and partner to go for a curry, heard that Birmingham curries are famous! Partner was not feeling well so we decided to have room service instead. Ordered by phone and was told that they would call back when it was ready, I would have to collect it myself. Thought this was a bit strange, until I looked at the prices, lowest I had ever seen for a hotel! If this is how they keep their prices down, long may it continue.
Waited forty minutes for a call from room service. Called them back and they apologised for the delay, but would bring it up themselves. Great service, pretty good food as well.
Room very comfortable, bed quite hard, but really comfortable.
We had a problem with heating, would not switch on, guy who delivered food could not fix it, but was back in 2 minutes with a fan heater, now that's great service!
Location great as well, about 100 metres from terminal building, despite airport proximity, windows kept out all noice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
I am so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I recently stayed here for 3 nights whilst attending a show at the NEC.

Check in was very pleasant and efficient. The room is simple but has everything you need. I had read on the website that hairdryers are available at the reception so I took my own with me. Tea & coffee facilites were available in the room, large tv which you could purchase a film & internet package for £9.99 per day, I got to watch a number of good films.

I requested some more coathangers as there werent enough and these were in my room when I got back from dinner.

I didnt have breakfast in the hotel but a colleague did and wasnt too impressed, however we had a couple of meals in the evening and they were fine, staff were polite and attentive.

Dont expect a nice view from your rooms, this is an airport based hotel and so you face carparks :-) but its convenient, clean and value for money. The bathroom is a bit like a pod but the shower is quite powerful which i didnt expect. Parking is quite heavily discounted here too so remember to get yoru ticket from the hotel reception.

The rooms dont have irons but they have an ironing room on one of the floors.

You dont need to get a taxi to the NEC just walk over to the Airport Terminal and catch the complimentary skytrain - very simple. A good Frankie & Bennies in the airport which we did have breakfast in one morning.

Im not sure if I was on a smoking floor or not but people were defiantely smoking on my floor which did stink out the corridor.

Its a simple hotel but it does what it says on the tin - I would certainly use it again

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the lifts and not on a smoking floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Ibis Birmingham Airport. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Don't stay there over the weekend or during an event. The full breakfast was served between 8:00 to 10:00am. During these 2 hours the dining area was crowded with too many people. I went for a coffee and my place was taken when I returned. Constantly ran out of bacon. Had to wait in line to get to the coffee machine. Once the weekend was over, then it was nice and quiet. May be the hotel should consider extending the full breakfast hours over the weekend or during event.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport. At Ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest, so your feedback is very important to us.

The Ibis breakfast is an "all-you-can-eat buffet" served between 4:00 and 10.00am on week days and between 4:00 and 12:00am on weekends, combining all the elements of a traditional continental and hot english breakfast.

I am sorry to hear that your breakfast experience did not meet your expectations, but we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Padua, Italy
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The location is great, you reach the fair in few minutes. I found the most friendly staff and a good restaurant too. Unfortunately when cleaning our room they always forgot to replace our towels and bath accessories.n

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis BIrmingham Airport very soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

The hotel is very tidy and is in a great location - you simply walk across the parking lot from the terminal. Rooms are quiet and tidy. It is a bit on the expensive side for an Ibis. The breakfast is OK but could be better. The hotel has a nice bar.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Many thanks for your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis BIrmingham Airport and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Belfast
Reviewed 21 October 2011

A very good value hotel. Would have rated it higher if the bed had not been rock hard. The staff were very pleasant and efficient and the breakfast was good

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis BIrmingham Airport.

The Ibis beds are of a standart style, and you will find the same beds in most Ibis hotels whether it be here in UK or in Europe. Mattress comfort tends very much to be a matter of personal preference, and I am sorry that it was not to your liking. Your comments on this point have been noted, and will be kept in mind when the hotel next needs to invest in beds and mattresses.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.