“Accidental Stay was Actually OK”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #21 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
“Accidental Stay was Actually OK”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I've stayed in IBIS before when cycling in France and once in London when I needed a cheap stop over. You get cheap and cheerful. This one is no different - same room layout, same funny space pod bathroom cubicle but surprisingly, especially considering it's proximity to the airport terminal (about 300 yards away) the room was practically silent - no plane noise, no humming generators and no noise in the hotel itself. A good night sleep was had by the family when we unexpectedly decided to check in rather than drive home after a late flight. Breakfast was basic but OK - half the price of other hotels but by no means half the quality... If we use Birmingham Airport again, we will stay overnight here and use their park and stay facility.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back facing the short stay car park - ours was silent..
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport. I look forward to your next visit.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
LONDON
Reviewed 5 April 2012

OK so I suppose you are wondering WHY having stayed here before and rated the place 1 out of 5 did I come back again..... Simple I work at the NEC and I need accommodation that is local and cheap. I stayed 4 nights (same as last year) and paid a total of £200 for the stay.

On the plus side the place is local to NEC, I park my car at the exhibition centre and leave it there for the entire trip duration. And then I practically live in the Airport eating at Frankies and Bennies and Weatherspoons. And then I use IBIS to sleep.

All the same old problems are there from last year. Miserable souless staff.

One female staff member SHOUTED at me. Why?

Well when I came back late from the venue (7pm) I was going to take a coffee back to the room. That morning you are expected to help yourself - I helped myself from the machine as part of my breakfast. So I went to the machine and did so. But in the evening it seems you have to PAY for the coffee - its not free. Its £2.10 a cup. I didnt realise. So she is SCREAMING at me not to touch the machine and I have to pay for the coffee. I said oh sorry I am a guest and thought it was free still. I said I can go back to my room and drink the free stuff up there. She said you will have to pay for that... Nice huh! Dont mind the fact the rules are different but what she did was scream at me in front of other customers sitting at the bar and across the room. I was embarrassed it was a straight forward mistake and I didnt think warranted the abuse,

In contrast in the morning when they are supposed to be all helpful there is not a soul in sight. Same coffee machine had stopped due to slop tray full and needed a clear out. So where was Miss High and Mighty then? Sitting out the back avoiding the fee paying guests. OK to shout at them later in the day then ??

This remains a cheap place to crash out for exhibition workers at the NEC but also remains a souless prison staffed by grim faced drones. Maybe its the turnover of guests that do it to them.

Just do what I do. Go there and.... Dont expect SERVICE and use the building to sleep.

Room Tip: Get a DOUBLE the singles are awful
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I was very sad that once again we have not been able meet your expectations. I would like to apologize again about this.
I know that you have already discussed the matter with Lionel (Front Office Manager) and I can assure you that your feedback as been communicated to myself. I also would like to confirm that I have personally took action to avoid any reocurrence and please allow me once again to apologize for the inconvenient it has caused you.
Please rest assured that Ibis strives to improve its guest satisfaction and all feedback are taken seriously. As Lionel confirm to you, we would like to offer you a discount in your next stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport. I trust that we will be able to demonstrate to you our daily effort to improve the satisfaction of our customers.

Kindest Regards,

Cardiff, UK
Reviewed 5 April 2012

About 200 metres from departures, this hotel was ideal for our needs. Surprisingly there was no noise from aircraft.
My wife and I had an enjoyable meal too, although I think they were using frozen vegetables!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good, but avoid the top floors unless you want to look at the planes.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
We appreciated your kind words. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

ireland
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was clean and tidy but it does lack any atmosphere. The rooms are adequate but not big or terribly comfortable.

My internet or TV did not work on arrival but were fixed quite quickly.

Food was alright too I did arrive late but the food took 20mins from order for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Birmingham Airport. Please rest assured that I will take a note of your comments and corrective actions will be undertaken.

Kindest Regards,

Lake District
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Very slow check-in--mind you IBIS always is. Friendly staff and handy for the NEC. Ist night good dinner, 2nd night awful-slow, mostly cold and had to be sent back. Gave up after that.
Breakfast was no better really, diabolical sausages, hard bacon(better than flabby?) rubbery scrambled egg. Staff didnt really have a clue what was going on .Breakfast is only £7.50 but not really worth it My friend took 25 minutes to check out, with only 3 in the queue.
Checked the price for another exhibition next year and it is £125 per room plus breakfast. No thanks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Birmingham Airport. Please rest assured that I will take a note of your comments and the matter will be addressed.