“Dreadfull”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This was by far the worst experience I have encountered in any of the hotels I have stayed in, when I checked in I was asked to provide a confirmation of authorisation of the credit card the booking had been made with, this is something I have never been asked to provide at any hotel I have stayed in including Ibis Hotels , the receptionist was very unreceptive to me when I tried to explain to her this was something I have never been asked to provide,
I asked to speak to the Manager who said they should have had an email confirming the credit card authorisation to them, I asked him to check their emails ( BINGO ) there it was in their files.

Now you may think what is the Big deal but when there is a dozen people standing behind you waiting to check in it is a tad embarrassing, I was afforded the usual apologies from the Manager but the receptionist was nowhere to be found.
When I went for my evening meal no tables were available and no structure in place for reserving a table, it was a free for all
Eventually I got a table but waited 10 mins before a menu found its way to me and once the food was ordered a further 45 mins to wait which seemed a bit much for a burger, not a good experience and will never return to this hotel

Room Tip: Eat before you arrive
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your stay at the Ibis Birmingham Airport. I was really sorry to hear of your disappointment with regard to the quality of the service.
The credit card account will not be charged when you make your reservation. We will use the number for guarantee purposes only. No charges will be posted to your account unless we received a third party payment authorization form and that is usual procedure in all of our hotels. I am sorry that you did not feel the staff had the appropriate attitude and you can be assured that I have relayed your feedback to the staff. Customer Service is of paramount importance to us and we were deeply disappointed that, in this instance, you did not feel welcome. I was also very sorry to learn of the delay you experienced in the restaurant. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Your comments have been reviewed with the Food and Beverage Manager and corrective measures have been implemented to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The last thing you want to do after twelve hours sat in a biscuit tin in the sky is to slog miles to your hotel. The walk from customs to counter is less than five minutes. Lovely girls on reception. Big soft bed, fantastic shower, very clean. No free wii only downer. The bar is ok but the food pretty pants so worth a saunter over to the airport for wetherspoons or frankie and bennys. No aircraft noise at all. Part of a parking package with APH so a great price. Can't fault it as a preflight place.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becky H
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our location and the comfort of our beds and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

As we had an early start the following morning, we started the holiday the evening before with a good meal, few drinks and excellent facilities.

The bathrooms are a 'wow'!

Then it's just a short walk to check in for your flight the next day. We thought it was such an easy way that my Dad did exactly the same thing in January 2013.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your stay at the Ibis Birmingham Airport. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities in our hotel and the surrounding areas. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Value- We paid £84 for a double room for 2 people with breakfast on both days- I thought this was really good value for what we got- some of the more "basic" hotels charge this per night without a breakfast or a breakfast with limited choice at best!

The room- Small but had everything you needed. A lovely clean room, with a window that opens (although it was freezing outside when we went so didnt need this), but a blessing compared to some other hotels I have stayed in. A very comfortable bed with extra pillows in the room. Decoration was simple but fresh. TV was great. The bathroom was like a little pod unit- very small but had everything you needed- a toilet, shower and sink. Nice and clean- had a bar of soap and a dispenseing unit for shampoo and shower gel, but they smelt a little odd and I'm glad I bought my own, but I guess it would be handy in an emergency (there were toiletries available at the front desk if you needed them). We were staying at the airport and you literally couldnt hear a thing- I think I hear more planes taking off at home- it was so quiet. You could hear people going to thier rooms on the night time but other than that, it was a very peaceful night's sleep. I dont think you could fit a cot in the same room without falling over, but I guess family rooms are available if needed.

The hotel- friendly staff. Excellent location for NEC, Airport and Train station. There is a free cable car link from just outside the hotel to the NEC and the train station which was perfect for us. We took a train to Birmingham on the evening for dinner- it was £6.00 in total for a return ticket for myself and my husband with regular trains running between.

Parking- we didnt park at the hotel- it looked like it might be expensive to park at the aiport itself, but we decided to use Airparks (just google it)- cost us £13 for the duration of our stay (2 days and nights) and its in a secure car park, with a bus link included in your cost which drop you off outside the Ibis.

Food- we didnt eat dinner form the hotel, just coz we wanted to go into the city both nights. It seemed like they had a good choice though. We really enjoyed the breakfast though- an all you can eat type thing- there was such a wide selection. There was continental available from 4am- 6.30am if you needed to get away for an early flight, but luckily we had a later start and there was a hige selection of food available- cereal, bread, cheese, cold meats, toast, waffles as well as a small selection of cooked breakfast- eggs, tomatoes, hash brown, bacon and sausage, all nice and hot and they were regularly bringing new stuff through so you knew it hasn't been sitting there for ages. Really impressed and feel all budget hotels should be offering the same. We didnt need any lunch after filling up- it was great!

Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah_19feb

Dear Guest, Thank you for your great comments. I’m really pleased to hear how enjoyable you found your stay at our hotel. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport again very soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

One night at Ibis Birmingham Airport last week on business. Was expecting to pay usual airport rates but was shocked when I was quoted £54 on booking.com.
Frankly for value for money, politeness of staff, comfort, good value food, good quality food you just can't beat it. Hotels at other aiports should take example from this. And you can open the windows !

Room Tip: I chose a room on the top floor so that I could open the window and not suffer the usual dreadful ho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest possible standards to our guests and I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit. I was glad to read that you found our location so convenient and our bedrooms to be comfortable and good value for money. I was also pleased to read that you found my staff very friendly and efficient and that you enjoyed the food on offer at our restaurant. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a purpose built modular design Ibis hotel, fairly free of character. But whose looking for character at an airport hotel? It's a short stroll from the terminal, clean if slightly small room featuring a very comfortable large bed and an efficient shower in the bathroom. By stopping here we could park the car off site less expensively, grab a couple of additional hours sleep before an early flight, perfect.
One surprising thing was the lack of an alarm on the TV, I would expect some alarm facility in an airport, but there's always the phone for the majority of travelers.
Overall, very good value and fully recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found our location to be very convenient and your room to b clean and comfortable. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

You can't really fault this place for location and value for money. However, the same cannot be said for the service. We decided to eat in the hotel for convenience. After ordering and waiting twenty minutes for our drink or food we decided to leave. No apology from staff and no explanation. Ordered an early morning call as we had an early flight - never got one. Luckily my phone alarm woke us in time. Would probably stay again but wouldn't go near the bar or restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest, I am delighted to hear that you found our location to be very convenient and your room to be of good value. However at the same time I was very sorry to learn of the delay you experienced in the restaurant. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Your comments have been reviewed with the Food and Beverage Manager and corrective measures have been implemented to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport.