“Only stay if you have no choice”

Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This was a late, one night only, booking for a business trip, but from start to finish it was a comedy of errors. Probably dinner and checking out was the best. Dinner was busy, but no excuse for not providing cutlery and then stating they would get it only to not return. I asked again when someone appeared 20 minutes into the meal, with apologies a knife and fork turned up, but as the dinner was cold, it was returned. It came back and the veg was still cold. I asked several times for the manager, who never appeared. At checkout the next morning, I was going to be charged for breakfast, when I asked how they knew I had breakfast, they said they ask everyone, but they hadn't, funny!!

Room Tip: I had a room on the 9th floor out of the way, but with it being an airport hotel, people still insis...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was really sorry to learn that your dining experience was less than perfect. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Carlos Vieira

Write a ReviewReviews (1,986)

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed here the night before an early flight. Not even a 5 min walk to the check-in desk's. Turn left out of the doors walk to the end of the path cross the road and there you are!!
Bedroom was lovely, beds very comfortable and the bathroom....wow what a neat design, loved the shower!
Didn't eat at the hotel but chose Weatherspoon's in the terminal while we got our bearings.
Check in and out was very quick and staff were very happy and helpful. Will stay here again when using Birmingham Airport

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Ibis Birmingham Airport. I was really pleased to hear how comfortable you found our beds and how much you enjoyed our showers. I was also pleased to read that you found my staff very friendly and efficient. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

A third of the price of the vastly overrated, over priced and over starred Novotel next door. This Ibis is excellent value for money, great location for airport travel, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Brilliant.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your great feedback. We are all working very hard to provide our guest with the best service and it is very rewarding and motivational when we learn that our efforts have been recognised. We looking forward to welcoming you back again at Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This was by far the worst experience I have encountered in any of the hotels I have stayed in, when I checked in I was asked to provide a confirmation of authorisation of the credit card the booking had been made with, this is something I have never been asked to provide at any hotel I have stayed in including Ibis Hotels , the receptionist was very unreceptive to me when I tried to explain to her this was something I have never been asked to provide,
I asked to speak to the Manager who said they should have had an email confirming the credit card authorisation to them, I asked him to check their emails ( BINGO ) there it was in their files.

Now you may think what is the Big deal but when there is a dozen people standing behind you waiting to check in it is a tad embarrassing, I was afforded the usual apologies from the Manager but the receptionist was nowhere to be found.
When I went for my evening meal no tables were available and no structure in place for reserving a table, it was a free for all
Eventually I got a table but waited 10 mins before a menu found its way to me and once the food was ordered a further 45 mins to wait which seemed a bit much for a burger, not a good experience and will never return to this hotel

Room Tip: Eat before you arrive
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your stay at the Ibis Birmingham Airport. I was really sorry to hear of your disappointment with regard to the quality of the service.
The credit card account will not be charged when you make your reservation. We will use the number for guarantee purposes only. No charges will be posted to your account unless we received a third party payment authorization form and that is usual procedure in all of our hotels. I am sorry that you did not feel the staff had the appropriate attitude and you can be assured that I have relayed your feedback to the staff. Customer Service is of paramount importance to us and we were deeply disappointed that, in this instance, you did not feel welcome. I was also very sorry to learn of the delay you experienced in the restaurant. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Your comments have been reviewed with the Food and Beverage Manager and corrective measures have been implemented to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Ibis Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The last thing you want to do after twelve hours sat in a biscuit tin in the sky is to slog miles to your hotel. The walk from customs to counter is less than five minutes. Lovely girls on reception. Big soft bed, fantastic shower, very clean. No free wii only downer. The bar is ok but the food pretty pants so worth a saunter over to the airport for wetherspoons or frankie and bennys. No aircraft noise at all. Part of a parking package with APH so a great price. Can't fault it as a preflight place.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becky H
IbisBhxAirport, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our location and the comfort of our beds and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

As we had an early start the following morning, we started the holiday the evening before with a good meal, few drinks and excellent facilities.

The bathrooms are a 'wow'!

Then it's just a short walk to check in for your flight the next day. We thought it was such an easy way that my Dad did exactly the same thing in January 2013.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to send your review of your stay at the Ibis Birmingham Airport. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities in our hotel and the surrounding areas. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Value- We paid £84 for a double room for 2 people with breakfast on both days- I thought this was really good value for what we got- some of the more "basic" hotels charge this per night without a breakfast or a breakfast with limited choice at best!

The room- Small but had everything you needed. A lovely clean room, with a window that opens (although it was freezing outside when we went so didnt need this), but a blessing compared to some other hotels I have stayed in. A very comfortable bed with extra pillows in the room. Decoration was simple but fresh. TV was great. The bathroom was like a little pod unit- very small but had everything you needed- a toilet, shower and sink. Nice and clean- had a bar of soap and a dispenseing unit for shampoo and shower gel, but they smelt a little odd and I'm glad I bought my own, but I guess it would be handy in an emergency (there were toiletries available at the front desk if you needed them). We were staying at the airport and you literally couldnt hear a thing- I think I hear more planes taking off at home- it was so quiet. You could hear people going to thier rooms on the night time but other than that, it was a very peaceful night's sleep. I dont think you could fit a cot in the same room without falling over, but I guess family rooms are available if needed.

The hotel- friendly staff. Excellent location for NEC, Airport and Train station. There is a free cable car link from just outside the hotel to the NEC and the train station which was perfect for us. We took a train to Birmingham on the evening for dinner- it was £6.00 in total for a return ticket for myself and my husband with regular trains running between.

Parking- we didnt park at the hotel- it looked like it might be expensive to park at the aiport itself, but we decided to use Airparks (just google it)- cost us £13 for the duration of our stay (2 days and nights) and its in a secure car park, with a bus link included in your cost which drop you off outside the Ibis.

Food- we didnt eat dinner form the hotel, just coz we wanted to go into the city both nights. It seemed like they had a good choice though. We really enjoyed the breakfast though- an all you can eat type thing- there was such a wide selection. There was continental available from 4am- 6.30am if you needed to get away for an early flight, but luckily we had a later start and there was a hige selection of food available- cereal, bread, cheese, cold meats, toast, waffles as well as a small selection of cooked breakfast- eggs, tomatoes, hash brown, bacon and sausage, all nice and hot and they were regularly bringing new stuff through so you knew it hasn't been sitting there for ages. Really impressed and feel all budget hotels should be offering the same. We didnt need any lunch after filling up- it was great!

Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah_19feb

Dear Guest, Thank you for your great comments. I’m really pleased to hear how enjoyable you found your stay at our hotel. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Airport again very soon.

Carlos Vieira

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#17 of 118 in Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC

Been to Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC? Share your experiences!