“Great Place to Stay in Birmingham”

Hatters Hostel Birmingham
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed overnight in a single, en-suite room whilst in Birmingham filming. I wanted the mod cons of a hotel (wifi, clean sheets, towels, private toilet/shower), but without the hotel price tag, noise and disturbances of staying in a dorm with a load of strangers. I had to be up at 5am to go on set, so I really just wanted a nice, clean, no frills, bed for the night. As far as hostels go, I'd say this was totally spot on, especially given my experiences of hostels when I was younger, in lots of different countries. It was definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

Location: I followed the website directions fine, until I got the Queensway road, and from there spent over an hour walking around trying the find the place, a little unnerving given it was dark and I didn't know the area at all or how safe it was. I actually came close to the hostel twice, but the area looked like there would be nothing there, and the folks 100m away at businesses said there wasn't a hostel that they knew of. I'd actually come straight under the bridge on to Livery Street, without realising I was on the right street already. It was only when I came back that way that I spotted the street name. Essentially, the location is really easy, you just follow the viaduct(?) along Livery Street, down the hill, past the Snows Hill station entrance under the bridge and you are there.

Arrival: I was very impressed when I arrived, the guy on the desk was EXTREMELY professional, very friendly and genuine. I felt like I was checking into a hotel rather than a hostel. The decor was very nice, and I could see from the boards that the hostel had plenty of free and organised activities for visitors, as well as leaflets and all the things you might need if you had forgotten something. No fuss and no waiting around. Even when it was busy, you never felt like it was too much trouble. Instructions were really clear. No unnecessary paperwork or faffing around.

Room: I was quite surprised to find that the room had a swipe card (again, like a hotel), and though it was a little bit dark when I first entered (energy saving lightbulb) it quickly brightened up and I saw how great the room was. The bathroom looked wonderful, much more what I would expect of a hotel (the pictures I took don't do it justice), the bed was lovely and all made up, and even the towel was provided, some water and biscuits, and a bedside lamp. If they had paid a little more attention to the finer details on the paintwork around the door frame edges, etc, this could easily have been a high star room of a hotel. All that was missing was a kettle and tea and coffee, and since the wind was blowing outside, the room was a little drafty, but this settled once the wind stopped. To be expected in an old building, and a simple double glazed window would really bring this up to a posh hotel standard. The towel and bed linen was really nice, really clean, and very soft and warm, which I hadn't expected, so that was a nice surprise, there was a dispenser for soap and shampoo, plenty of nice quality toilet paper, and a really clean, white bath mat, and place to put your towels.

My only issue, was that when I went to have a shower at 4.30am, the water was freezing cold, and the shower was one of the reasons I had wanted an en suite (it was too cold for me to shower in, and I couldn't get warm water from the sink either). This may have been due to the time I tried to take a shower, or maybe I just couldn't work the shower properly. That was my only complaint of my stay. My only other slight complaint was that I knew there was unlimited tea and coffee, and I had expected this to be in the room, rather than upstairs in the cooking area. After a really long day, all I wanted to do was climb into my bed and drink tea. But to be fair, this was a hostel and there was no mention of tea being available in the room. If I was being really picky, the TV was also a bit tin sounding, but since I hadn't even expected there to be a TV, it was perfectly adequate.

Facilities: In my room I felt like I was staying in a wonderful hotel, so to leave my room, I was reminded that I was actually in a hostel, so there was the usual crowd of backpackers huddled in the kitchen and steam and bustle, much as you would expect. I was very impressed by the eating area in the roof next to the kitchen, and the folks sat around working on their computers looked like they were at home, not in a hostel, due to the great atmosphere and home from home feel. It was nice to see other communal areas around the place, like a quiet area for sitting and relaxing, a games room, and lounge. Had I not been in work mode and exhausted, it would have been a good place to meet others, especially if I was on holiday. There was plenty of crockery, and it was all in really good condition, clean, and practical. Nothing worse than drinking out of an old, chipped mug!

All in all, I was really impressed by the hostel, location, and set up, and I recommended it to two other people from the film crew who stayed the night after I did. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, but next time I would bring a travel kettle and tea bags so I really could sit in my room and just kick back after a day at work. That would make my next stay perfect!

Room Tip: The room was a little chilly, so make sure you pack some layers just in case. I always find it hard...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Arrancat

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Pretty standard hostel. Nothing particularly great or awful. The kitchens are sufficient to throw together a quick meal, the beds are comfortable enough and the staff were friendly and helpful. Location's a little peculiar, but it's essentially one long, straight road to get to the city center, so it's no real hassle. Would recommend to anyone looking for a bed, shower and a roof for a night or two.

Room Tip: People on the street can be pretty loud during the weekend, but it's usually people staying in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We had private rooms, and it is everything you'd expect for a hostel but with a bit more too.
Staff were friendly and remembered who you were and useful too.
Kitchen is clean and well equipped. The other guests seemed lovely too and it's not too far from
The city centre.
Room was clean and spacious with a big bed.
The only tiny gripe was that the parking restrictions change at 8am so you have to get out of bed to move your car a whole 10 metres. No massive worry though and nothing the staff could do about that!

A lovely stay though and very good value for money

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

we were there for a night out so didnt need luxery. for the price that we paid we were very happy. able to park on the street which was free on a sunday so no having to get out early. the guy on the reception was incredibly helpfujl & friendly. the night porter was just as friendly. Very strict on security which was good. the beds were comfy, bathroom massive.

the one thing that ujined it for us was a constant buzzing noise. luckily we only needed an hours kip before going home but think that it would have been a pain if you needed a full nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just stayed here.
Friendly helpful staff, huge clean room 201 with amazing 'old fashioned' furniture' - a real treat.
Lovely high up breakfast room, views of Birmingham. Food OK to.
Unusual buildings like this make hostels so much better than the cheap chain hotels.
Members kitchen had everything we needed.
Thanks

Room Tip: Room 201 biggest double bed we have ever slept in, and we are over 68years, and widely travelled.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivychurch44
HattersBirmingham, Manager at Hatters Hostel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay here in hatters, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip advisor, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here on a Wednesday night before a PhD interview and it was a great choice.The staff at the reception were incredibly friendly and gave me a map and directions.

I had a private double room which was clean and very comfortable. It was a little noisy though because I was above the reception and close to the stairs.

The included continental breakfast was an added bonus.

Overall, great place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed at Hatters for two nights. The hostel itself is lovely with a fantastic staff. I stayed in the female only dorm. It was clean and tidy. The bathroom was huge, with running hot water all day and a heated towel rail. Even though the hostel had many other guests the noise did not travel to the room. It was so quiet. The beds were really comfy and I had a good sleep on the first night. The second night was a little different due to the storm. The wind caused the windows to rattle loudly, even though I blocked them with newspaper. This is just due to the age of the windows, and is generally a small issue. I will say that if you are either new to Birmingham or are visiting for the first time, the hostel is a bit further than you might think. Overall I had a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
HattersBirmingham, Manager at Hatters Hostel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Big thanks for taking the time to review us. We are very happy to hear that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay here with us! Apart form the comfy rooms we hope that you were satisfied with our other facilities too!
It is fair to say that if it is your first time in Birmingham, the city might seem a bit confusing, hence getting here too. However, after a while it grows on you and you will find that all the cool and relevant places are just around the corner. That is why we love our city, and are enthusiastic about you getting to know it too. Feel free to ask out amiable receptionists for directions and suggestions, they are bursting with knowledge:)