“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #102 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chester
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I booked this hotel for a shopping trip in Birmingham combined with picking our daughter up from university. It is so bad that we saw the room and left. I thought it was a doss house.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stopped here Friday 9th - Sunday 11th December. Total cost for room only for 2 people £122.
Plus points - free car park (buses run very frequently to Birmingham - less than 10 minutes away. Swimming pool, sauna and steam room were ok. The room was warm and of reasonable size. Booking in and out efficient.
We were offered minced pies and mulled wine amd half price cocktails.
Poor points - Not the cleanest of hotels I`ve stopped in.
The lounge isn`t really that comfortable or friendly
The poor girl behind the bar was trying her best to mix cocktails but a lost cause really. We asked for the free mince pies and mulled wine 3 times before any was available.
Room wasn`t serviced until we spoke to reception.
I know its a budget hotel but it needs to try harder.

Room Tip: Pot luck i think
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Worst hotel that i have ever stayed in, went for a quiet drink in the bar and they were playing dance music at full volume, even though most people were older and quite obviously put out by it. Room was dingy and run down with a single bed. Towel provided was just lying on the floor when I arrived and wasn't changed as the room was unattended. When I checked in I was merely told to 'sign here' and had a key handed to me, I had to return to reception to make sure they had my details (vehicle etc..) at which point it was just handed another form. Location is quite handy but the service and 'quality' of the hotel were appalling.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kai G
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

It is the third time we book in this hotel and again no disappointment.
Rooms are spacious, clean, bed a really good, shower/toilets always clean and in excellent condition. This time we paid £100 for 3 double bedrooms !!!! anyone can bit this ? knowing that you are at 10mn from the city center, free car park, bar open 24h, indoor WARM swimming pool, gym, etc... Well, I don't understand the people who complain about this hotel, maybe they don't travel that much and don't know enough about hotels. But hey this one is great and the staff, a part some girls at the reception who could smile some time, everyone is brilliant ! Thanks, and see you soon !

Room Tip: ask for premier room, seems to be a lot better for £5 more, try room 268, or 168, end of corridor no...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Recently stayed here for 2 nights with my daughters, one of whom had auditions in Birmingham. The hotel is easy to find on the main road in and out of Birmingham, We had a triple room with 3 single beds The room was basic but clean and had all the essentials. The bathroom was huge with a large walk in shower. The only downside was the quality of the towels which was poor. We didnt eat at the restaurant as there is a very good quality Beefeater next door and a TGI Fridays and also an ASk restaurant and an Indian all within 3 minutes walk. Good quality for th money and FREE parking which is a plus so close to the city centre.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I arrived on 17th Nov 2011. I booked in and the reception staff were very cold and un-welcoming. I was in room 54, the room was very clean and the bed appeared comfy. The shower was also very clean and I was grateful of this. The room was very very warm, for some this would be a great thing, but for me it was too hot. I turned the radiator down but the heating did not go off, so I opened a window. I ordered room service and a meal off the menu, It was of very poor quality and people should be aware that on th back of the menu it states a charge of £3.50 for room service! I settled down for the evening at 10.30pm but was woken up at 12.25pm with doors constantly beging slammed shut and people talking along the corridors. Was this the staffs problem or guests being in-sensative? Even if it was guests, staff should have 'polite' notice around the hotel. I tried to get back to sleep but could hear people (staff and guests) talking outside my room, I was positioned above the decked smooking area so every 15 mins people were out there smoking and chatting (loudly). I closed the window but could not get any sleep because the room was so hot. The noise continued throughout the night and I only manged to get 3 hours sleep in total. I personally wouldn't go back and feel I would be better sleeping in the local bus station, it certainly be quieter!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Booked this because it was cheap even though it had poor reviews. Was only needed for sleep and a shower for lads away so had no expectations. When we arrived I thought was the negative all about. Reception looked nice, pool looked o and hotel bar was fine. Then we seen the rooms. They are very very dated. Need a major makeover. However clean enough. Breakfast was ok.

In summary £25 each for lads if was adequate. Don't use this hotel for a weekend with the misses.

• Stayed November 2011